Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 29 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just sold a photo I haven't even shot yet...

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 09, 2014 08:40 |  #46

piQturesQue wrote in post #17082014 (external link)
Been following this thread for a while now and really looking forward to you posting the final pic (hopefully) :D

I will probably post an update as soon as I have some options I'm mulling over for the print. July for me was super slammed with work and a few family things so I wasn't a productive month for me photo wise (as I let him know in advance). Hopefully as fall picks up and maybe before then I will get a few good road trips in with the gear. I just haven't had a day off, let alone a weekend off in July to do anything.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 09, 2014 08:42 |  #47

meaton wrote in post #17081979 (external link)
Have you considered this is exactly the response your BIL wanted? Seems to me he wants to help in more ways than financial :) Not a bad thing at all.

Consider this. You could go out tomorrow and take the most awesome shot ever and only using the kit you have now. You could spend a couple fo hundred blowing it up and putting it on canvas and it may look as good as a Lik! If it doesn't go take some more.

And you could do that without a cheque from anyone! So go take some and view the cheques(s) as a bonus. Simply don't let them get in the way of your creativity, if you do, you are already placing a value on each shot you take and that for me is a disadvantage to your creativity.

Go get that shot and post it here too :)

Very good way to look at it! I agree, I think at first it just got in my head a little and then caused me to think "how the heck can I compete with Lik?"

Hopefully the next month or so will really get productive for me photo wise, I've just had no time over the last month to get out anywhere that would possibly work for this print.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 09, 2014 22:29 |  #48

You see, this is the tough part. Working pros have to make things work, no matter the time of year, the light, or how busy things are. (I'm not even remotely talking about you....just pointing out the hard work that working pros must go through.)

Bryan

My Gear List

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 10, 2014 14:46 |  #49

bps wrote in post #17086758 (external link)
You see, this is the tough part. Working pros have to make things work, no matter the time of year, the light, or how busy things are. (I'm not even remotely talking about you....just pointing out the hard work that working pros must go through.)

Bryan

Bryan,

Totally understood and agreed! I think some days for them just have to be beyond frustrating because it's not easy, in my opinion, to have to make things work, especially if the weather sucks, or you're sick, or life is just getting in the way.

I think that while the pros have to tolerate that, certain aspects of that could be fun. I see that the challenge could really drive people to get into overdrive mode, but for me...I think it would cause anxiety.

I currently scrape by working in public safety for local gov't. After 5 years I've just finally gotten off of night shift (7p-7a). Now, I will admit that I'm a night owl, but when you're divorced, with a 6yo daughter and a horrid schedule, it just doesn't equal to any quality time off. I mean that because of the lack of sleep and stress from work, not due to my child being an issue. My ex...well, she's a handful but that's another rant. I just got onto day shift (7a-7p) in April and I'm still adjusting to being awake and asleep at normal human hours which means I get to experience this thing called the sun...for the first time in a long time. My new schedule is 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. Now, we have mandatory emergency on call needs as well, so my days off typically turn into another 12 hours of work due to people always calling out. So, often I'm 9 on and 2 off. It sucks because when I have my daughter I can't just drive hours into the mountains and then go hike with gear, get shots, hike back and head home. I do take her out hiking, but it's typically the short easy stuff and it typically ends with us at the park or playground. I would never cut it at this rate. I know the pros have lives as well, I think my current work schedule just really puts my life on hold way too much (my fault for letting it happen, I know). My brother in law knows all of this, hence him not having any dead line for me. I took vacation time while my daughter was visiting on summer break, so he knew my time off wouldn't be spent on anything other than having fun with my her.

Anywho...

I can't wait for this to progress now that I will have a few days off to myself here and there. I haven't settled on a print source yet but I've been watching for deals on both canvas and glass prints just to keep an eye on prices. I'm still looking to perfect my stitching skills and just getting some good material to work with. Plus, I think after this is all done, I'd really love to make myself a nice pano print or something to put up. I have this horrible habit of never printing anything. I just look at my pics on my computer and that's about it. I have printed a few small shots at home, but I really need to put up some bigger prints that I enjoy.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,719 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just sold a photo I haven't even shot yet...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.