Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 03:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aperture and ambient light

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 09, 2014 03:54 |  #1

So, we all know that shutter speed affects ambient light and that aperture controls the amount of flash.

I'm looking for a bit of clarification. I got my AlienBees B800 in the mail today. Love it, but, it's really, really bright, even at 1/32. In pitch black darkness, it was too bright. Inverse square rule worked mostly, but if I bring the aperture down too far, I lose a lot of ambient light as well.

Also, how would I use this during the day? :S 1/160 max sync speed, ISO50 at the lowest?

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 09, 2014 04:28 |  #2

I presume that your first line is a typo? Aperture controls the amount of flash you need, not ambient.

It may just be your choice of words, but it sounds like you just have too much of a mismatch between ambient and flash. You say you are shooting in "pitch black darkness" and are struggling to get the flash power down enough so that you can still record ambient. In pitch black darkness, there IS no ambient, so I assume that you actually mean very dark, but that would still require a lot of exposure to show the scene properly. A flash head, even on minimum power, is a lot of light in such dark conditions.

What shutter speeds are you using though? Even if extremely dark, you should be able to get a suitable exposure. If you need five minutes to expose the ambient to balance the flash, then give it five minutes. So long as the background isn't moving you will be fine. Your subject will be lit by the flash, so will be sharp, just try and keep them still, and the light on them to an absolute minimum to prevent too much ghosting if they move whilst the ambient is recording.

If you find ghosting is an issue, then just shoot two frames, one of the subject with flash and the other for the ambient, then blend with a layer mask.

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 09, 2014 04:36 |  #3

sandpiper wrote in post #17085418 (external link)
I presume that your first line is a typo? Aperture controls the amount of flash you need, not ambient.

It may just be your choice of words, but it sounds like you just have too much of a mismatch between ambient and flash. You say you are shooting in "pitch black darkness" and are struggling to get the flash power down enough so that you can still record ambient. In pitch black darkness, there IS no ambient, so I assume that you actually mean very dark, but that would still require a lot of exposure to show the scene properly. A flash head, even on minimum power, is a lot of light in such dark conditions.

What shutter speeds are you using though? Even if extremely dark, you should be able to get a suitable exposure. If you need five minutes to expose the ambient to balance the flash, then give it five minutes. So long as the background isn't moving you will be fine. Your subject will be lit by the flash, so will be sharp, just try and keep them still, and the light on them to an absolute minimum to prevent too much ghosting if they move whilst the ambient is recording.

If you find ghosting is an issue, then just shoot two frames, one of the subject with flash and the other for the ambient, then blend with a layer mask.

Yes, that was a typo. I meant aperture.

In very dark conditions, at 1/32 power, I have trouble balancing ambient light and flash. I have no problem illuminating the subject--if anything, overexposure in the subject is the issue. I have an overexposed subject and a black background. If I pull the shutter speed down enough (to say 0"3), and keep going down until I get the desired ambient lighting, I eventually have to start closing the aperture (when the subject is properly exposed by the flash) because the flash exposure starts to get brighter as well after a while.

I average about 1/8 exposures for ambient light usually.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,918 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 09, 2014 05:22 |  #4

You want to expose for the subject and drag the shutter to pull in the ambient light.

I AM SHOM

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 09, 2014 08:54 |  #5

I think you're misinterpreting the guidance, try thinking it in this direction.

When you're mixing ambient and flash, you're effectively juggling 2 exposures, consider the ambient first, as generally it's fixed - you have no control over it's power (unlike the flash). When doing this, you only have to bear in mind you're adding flash.

Once you're happy with your ambient, whether that's correctly exposed (using flash as fill), or a stop under (using flash as key), you can dial in the flash, you might want to use ETTL if you're in a moving situation (FEC to suit) or manually adjust if the situation is more static.

Sounds like a lot of decisions to make, but it's quick and easy once you make it methodical, your previous method had you juggling variables without a plan.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,918 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 09, 2014 09:34 |  #6

Phil V wrote in post #17085694 (external link)
I think you're misinterpreting the guidance, try thinking it in this direction.

When you're mixing ambient and flash, you're effectively juggling 2 exposures, consider the ambient first, as generally it's fixed - you have no control over it's power (unlike the flash). When doing this, you only have to bear in mind you're adding flash.

Once you're happy with your ambient, whether that's correctly exposed (using flash as fill), or a stop under (using flash as key), you can dial in the flash, you might want to use ETTL if you're in a moving situation (FEC to suit) or manually adjust if the situation is more static.

Sounds like a lot of decisions to make, but it's quick and easy once you make it methodical, your previous method had you juggling variables without a plan.

You might want to read his post. ;)

He is using a ab800 and that does not support ETTL.

I AM SHOM

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 09, 2014 10:50 |  #7

abbadon31 wrote in post #17085745 (external link)
You might want to read his post. ;)

He is using a ab800 and that does not support ETTL.

Oops, clearly missed that.

In which case, he's bought the wrong kit to try mixing with (dark indoors) ambient.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 09, 2014 11:29 as a reply to  @ Phil V's post |  #8

See if this helps:

http://neilvn.com …ues/dragging-the-shutter/ (external link)

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 09, 2014 11:35 as a reply to  @ Oldschool1948's post |  #9

This is the best I have found explaining mixing ambient and flash-

In fact, I highly recommend reading through the entire blog, lighting 101.

It covers everything, most of which you probably already know, but Id bet you'd pick up some tid bits you didn't.

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …-balancing-flash-and.html (external link)

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 09, 2014 12:16 |  #10

Rolfe D. Wolfe wrote in post #17085912 (external link)
This is the best I have found explaining mixing ambient and flash-

In fact, I highly recommend reading through the entire blog, lighting 101.

It covers everything, most of which you probably already know, but Id bet you'd pick up some tid bits you didn't.

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …-balancing-flash-and.html (external link)

I was reading that last night actually!

What I normally do is expose for ambient first, then add flash. I usually underexpose the ambient light by one stop. But when I add flash, even when using 1/32 power and utilizing the inverse square law, I have to keep turning the aperture down, which eventually begins affecting the ambient light.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 09, 2014 12:19 |  #11

quadwing wrote in post #17085962 (external link)
What I normally do is expose for ambient first, then add flash. I usually underexpose the ambient light by one stop. But when I add flash, even when using 1/32 power and utilizing the inverse square law, I have to keep turning the aperture down, which eventually begins affecting the ambient light.

Adjusting the aperture (assuming you are using full manual exposure controls - no auto ISO or anything auto) immediately affects ambient light exposure as well as flash exposure. There's no "eventually" to it. ;)

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 09, 2014 12:29 |  #12

SkipD wrote in post #17085971 (external link)
Adjusting the aperture (assuming you are using full manual exposure controls - no auto ISO or anything auto) immediately affects ambient light exposure as well as flash exposure. There's no "eventually" to it. ;)

Ah. That's what I was missing. A lot of the reading I was doing implied that aperture only should affect flash, while shutter speed should only affect ambient. Wrong wrong wrong. vmad

And if I boost the ISO, that brings everything up.

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 09, 2014 15:48 |  #13

I think the situation you are describing is that you have too much flash for your room/studio.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 09, 2014 15:52 |  #14

quadwing wrote in post #17086000 (external link)
Ah. That's what I was missing. A lot of the reading I was doing implied that aperture only should affect flash, while shutter speed should only affect ambient. Wrong wrong wrong. vmad

The fact that you had tangled up is that changing the shutter speed (as long as it is slower than the maximum sync speed) will not affect the exposure for elements that are lit solely by a conventional electronic flash. This does not hold true, though, if you are using a Canon Speedlite set for High Speed Sync.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,729 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 09, 2014 19:50 |  #15

quadwing wrote in post #17086000 (external link)

The problem is that this 'rule of thumb' is too simplistic. True rules

• Shutter speed 'below X-sync' never affects flash exposure -- because flash duration is so much faster than the shutter is open.
  • Shutter speed 'faster than X-sync affects HSS flash exposure...in addition to the loss of flash power/distance -- simply by going even -1/3EV faster than X-sync -- you lose power/range for every -1EV faster shutter speed.
  • Aperture 'affects flash only', only when ambient light is too low to register on the film/sensor at the chosen aperture+shutter+ISO combination.
  • Aperture affect flash AND ambient whenever ambient light is bright enough to register on the film/sensor at the chosen aperture+shutter+ISO combination

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aperture and ambient light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.