Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 12:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ahhh free work question

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 09, 2014 12:32 |  #1

So, my business is still new, but not so new that I do free work anymore except maybe for legitimate community events and charities. I still get the "can you do it for promotional purposes" every now and then.

My question, I got a call from a model today who runs a "Foundation" for which she does work to promote health and fitness. Maybe some of you know of this. Her deal is she gets my work in return for so many "Likes" on the Facebook and promotes other social media along with promoting my brand on her page. I would have retained rights to the images, and my brand would be represented on her page. I do want to promote my business, I want to get my name out there, and I like to do the work, so all that makes it so easy to say yes.

But that said, I did not take the deal, and offered her my normal rate with a discount. Probably wont hear from her again. So, should I have done this to promote? or did I do the right thing and sticking to getting paid for my work.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links
Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 09, 2014 16:00 |  #2

After looking into this more I'm. pretty sure it was a scam just not sure what the angle was

Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 09, 2014 17:23 |  #3

No way… you did the right thing.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

mltn
353 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 09, 2014 17:27 |  #4

Roamingbull wrote in post #17086252 (external link)
After looking into this more I'm. pretty sure it was a scam just not sure what the angle was

Yes the angle was free pictures.

Doing work that you don't get paid for can be good if it adds some valuable images to your portfolio, but otherwise don't bother.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 09, 2014 17:59 as a reply to  @ mltn's post |  #5

I've never been able to buy a sammich or pay the mortgage with a Facebook 'like', so I think you did the right thing by sticking to "paid work."

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 09, 2014 18:17 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Well I'll give you an alternative example. Local hospital put out feelers for photos to decorate their rooms and halls. Basically they would provide a metal plaque with details of all contributors that would hang in the entrance way. I was skeptical but what the heck...it's only time and money.

After about 6 months I got a call from one of the doctors at the hospital that really liked some of my photos. Long story short...in the end I ended up with sales to multiple doctors for a nice sum of $12,500.

My original cost of my prints that I donated was $845...not a bad return on that marketing venture.

Sometimes it pays to stop and think about possibilities rather than the first instinct of "no way am I giving away my work" gut reactions.

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 09, 2014 18:31 |  #7

Thanks all for your thoughts, it makes me feel better. I too believe I did the right thing and now even more so.

Hogloff, congrats on that deal. A bit of a difference tho, if that opportunity were given me, I think I would have done that without even thinking about it. This deal just reeked of something not right. I respect the input from this page a lot... So I put my deal out there as I was having the afterthoughts of not doing it for free. I looked into this model, and her foundation. I found some possible criminal activity associated with her dealings. I could not find anything she did to photographers specifically, but there were some issues with the charities she associated with. So that and and the comments here have made me feel pretty good about my decision.

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 09, 2014 20:40 as a reply to  @ Roamingbull's post |  #8

Free photo work must include the following (for me personally):

1) I have an interest in the subject/event
2) It's clear what I will be capturing
3) Beneficial for my portfolio
4) I have full control over what I capture

I probably would not have accepted, as vague facebook promotions just isn't enough for me. But if the above were true, then maybe I would have accepted.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 10, 2014 00:21 |  #9

Hogloff wrote in post #17086385 (external link)
Well I'll give you an alternative example. Local hospital put out feelers for photos to decorate their rooms and halls. Basically they would provide a metal plaque with details of all contributors that would hang in the entrance way. I was skeptical but what the heck...it's only time and money.

After about 6 months I got a call from one of the doctors at the hospital that really liked some of my photos. Long story short...in the end I ended up with sales to multiple doctors for a nice sum of $12,500.

My original cost of my prints that I donated was $845...not a bad return on that marketing venture.

Sometimes it pays to stop and think about possibilities rather than the first instinct of "no way am I giving away my work" gut reactions.

That's nice to hear. So many scams out there to get free photos.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 10, 2014 03:50 |  #10

1) Its not "charity" unless they are a registered 501(C) corporation and will give you a legit IRS deduction.
2) I will never give out more than a 50% discount for exposure. Anybody who will not pay you in real $$$ is clearly telling you your work is actually worth zero.
3) Social media exposure rates are very small-usually 3% for FB. So if someone offers social media exposure, then offer to track the responses with a special discount code. If they pay your full rates now, you will give them 2X back when somebody redeems the code due to exposure. Their response is a true measure of the real value of social media business.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 10, 2014 05:30 |  #11

How many bills are you going to pay with Facebook "Likes"?

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 10, 2014 08:58 |  #12

I think you did the right thing. Main reason behind me saying is that you did not do any research on the demographics of her followers. She can promote you to her thousands of followers but they have to be interested in what you are selling. Sending your message to 1000's that dont care about it will not get you any results.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

df305
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 10, 2014 09:38 |  #13

From my blog:

In light of recent events:

I would like to express my gratitude to the people who called us in recent months, offering “exposure” as a form of payment for our services. There were also generous offers of “opportunities”, “lots of future assignments” and “possible long term relationships” instead of the more conventional “money”.

Just to make sure that these new currencies would be widely accepted, we tried to pay some of our bills with them. Surprisingly, neither camera – nor computer- manufacturers, phone-companies or even gas stations were willing to work with this form of payment.

Under the circumstances, we may have to continue to accept more ‘old school’ forms of compensation.
US Dollars, for example, work really well!

The good news: A team of skilled, trained and experienced professionals will do absolutely anything it takes to give you your money’s worth!

Cheers, D.

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 10, 2014 12:20 |  #14

df305 wrote in post #17087296 (external link)
From my blog:

In light of recent events:

I would like to express my gratitude to the people who called us in recent months, offering “exposure” as a form of payment for our services. There were also generous offers of “opportunities”, “lots of future assignments” and “possible long term relationships” instead of the more conventional “money”.

Just to make sure that these new currencies would be widely accepted, we tried to pay some of our bills with them. Surprisingly, neither camera – nor computer- manufacturers, phone-companies or even gas stations were willing to work with this form of payment.

Under the circumstances, we may have to continue to accept more ‘old school’ forms of compensation.
US Dollars, for example, work really well!

The good news: A team of skilled, trained and experienced professionals will do absolutely anything it takes to give you your money’s worth!

Cheers, D.

Hha hahahha perfect. I love it. Thanks all, I feel much better. I know I did the right thing, and I hope maybe this little thread may help someone else feel better about doing the same.

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 10, 2014 12:58 as a reply to  @ juicedownload's post |  #15

Free photo work must include the following (for me personally):

1) I have an interest in the subject/event
2) It's clear what I will be capturing
3) Beneficial for my portfolio
4) I have full control over what I capture

I probably would not have accepted, as vague facebook promotions just isn't enough for me. But if the above were true, then maybe I would have accepted.

So if you're not going to benefit somehow (i.e. portfolio) you won't donate your time to a worthy charity? I've worked at local animal rescue organizations, done carpentry work at a church, put in significant time with our local MS chapter preparing for a charity bike ride, all with ZERO personal benefit other than meeting some great people and taking pride in what we'd done. I'm just kind of put off by folks who say they won't lift a finger unless there's something in it for them.

As for Roamingbull, I think you did the right thing in this case as facebook 'likes' are a joke and that 'charity' doesn't sound like a legitimate organization anyway.

sponsored links

2,703 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ahhh free work question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.