Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 05:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scarborough

happyduck
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Gallery: 519 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 09, 2014 05:18 |  #1

Im pretty happy with this, but im sure ill get a knock back:D

IMAGE: http://www.raysimages.co.uk/albums/userpics/10003/Scarborough_south_beach.jpg

Canon 70D [ Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Macro OS HSM C Nissin di 600
My Flkr (external link)

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 09, 2014 06:00 |  #2

It looks flat to me. Try bumping contrast and darkening the sky to bring out the clouds.

-- Image Editing OK --

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,389 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 09, 2014 08:43 |  #3

Nice setting. Good action on the water. I agree that it's a little flat. If you have levels tool, adjust the histogram to chop off part of the unused white end. It also appears a bit overexposed on my monitor. But it could be my preference. I have the impression from the houses at the top of the hill that it's a little tilted to the left. Not sure about that. The brick structure in the bottom right corner is distracting. Either crop it out or make it a larger part as a framing feature. You'll hear a lot of people complaining about a featureless sky. I'm not one to nitpick about this. The sky is not the subject. It's only a problem if it detracts from the subject, which does not appear to be happening here. If that's what the sky looks like in that part of the world under those meteorological conditions, it is what it is.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 09, 2014 09:08 |  #4

It's OK as a record shot. You could crop most of that sky out. Depending on which direction you were facing, you might come back at dawn or dusk for some more interesting lighting.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

bob_r
Goldmember
2,473 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 10, 2014 14:43 |  #5

It's a little desaturated and slightly tilted, but you have an interesting subject. If you turn on "IMAGE EDITING OK", perhaps people could share the results of their suggestions with you.

** Since you're allowing editing now, I took a crack at it too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,831 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 10, 2014 19:09 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #6

See if these seems a tiny bit better. Small bump in saturation and warmed color temperature a bit, plus a crop. I thought that bit of stone wall on the right side was a distraction, and mostly I don't like to see much sky.

Hitting the preview button, I may have chopped out a bit too much from the sky, anyway, you get the idea.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 10, 2014 19:55 |  #7

I think the second shot is better, but I still feel like it is lacking in contrast. Nothing looks truly black. Also, for some reason, my eye is drawn to the houses at the top which are really flat and more out of focus.

I just noticed the moving truck/RV and now it really stands out as well.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,831 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 10, 2014 20:21 |  #8

MattPharmD wrote in post #17088152 (external link)
I think the second shot is better, but I still feel like it is lacking in contrast. Nothing looks truly black. Also, for some reason, my eye is drawn to the houses at the top which are really flat and more out of focus.

I think you are right about the contrast, but punching it up made the photo look just a bit unnatural, to me anyway.

Flickr (external link)

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 10, 2014 21:30 |  #9

The image has that timeless look to it. Maybe go for an aged look.

HOSTED PHOTO

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 11, 2014 03:24 |  #10

Dave3222 wrote in post #17088302 (external link)
The image has that timeless look to it. Maybe go for an aged look.

Now i do like that , what did you do to get that look:)

My Flkr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 11, 2014 09:42 |  #11

What's your subject? What are you trying to show or communicate? It's very jumbled - houses here, pier there, some hills, etc.

Nothing really is that interesting about this shot. The light is very flat and uninteresting.

Gear List

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 11, 2014 11:21 |  #12

Numenorean wrote in post #17089012 (external link)
What's your subject? What are you trying to show or communicate? It's very jumbled - houses here, pier there, some hills, etc.

Nothing really is that interesting about this shot. The light is very flat and uninteresting.

ive never tried landscapes before..im afraid your answer is too deep for me to understand

My Flkr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 11, 2014 11:37 |  #13

happyduck wrote in post #17089200 (external link)
ive never tried landscapes before..im afraid your answer is too deep for me to understand

Landscapes need a clear subject, and one of the key aspects to a landscape photograph is how you use the subject, scene, light, etc. to convey a mood or emotion.

What is it that you want the viewer of the photo to see? It should be clear to the viewer what that is.

Typically a good landscape will have a foreground, middleground and background, though it's not completely necessary for all three. Imagine a calm lake with a reflection of a mountain peak. Maybe a rock in the foreground or rocks at the bottom of the lake visible through the water.

It's all about how you present the elements of the photo.

Light is also very important and in this shot it's flat. There is not much contrast. Also, usually the most interesting light is sunrise/sunset - anything with color or interest in the sky helps.

Gear List

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 11, 2014 12:02 |  #14

Numenorean wrote in post #17089244 (external link)
Landscapes need a clear subject, and one of the key aspects to a landscape photograph is how you use the subject, scene, light, etc. to convey a mood or emotion.

What is it that you want the viewer of the photo to see? It should be clear to the viewer what that is.

Typically a good landscape will have a foreground, middleground and background, though it's not completely necessary for all three. Imagine a calm lake with a reflection of a mountain peak. Maybe a rock in the foreground or rocks at the bottom of the lake visible through the water.

It's all about how you present the elements of the photo.

Light is also very important and in this shot it's flat. There is not much contrast. Also, usually the most interesting light is sunrise/sunset - anything with color or interest in the sky helps.

I took the shot because i thought it was a nice view, i would never have put this photo in the critique, it was moved here sorry if you dont like it but i dont think its has bad as your making out;)

My Flkr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 11, 2014 13:43 |  #15

happyduck wrote in post #17089287 (external link)
I took the shot because i thought it was a nice view, i would never have put this photo in the critique, it was moved here sorry if you dont like it but i dont think its has bad as your making out;)

Well you have a lot to learn. Probably more towards the beginning of your journey. Remember this when you get to the "All I shoot is bad" stage.

http://i.imgur.com/b2f​eF.png (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links

1,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scarborough
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.