Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Aug 2014 (Monday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HeartsApart.org question.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 11, 2014 15:44 |  #1

Do any of you work with this charity? For anyone who doesn't know, they basically connect military families who's military member is about to deploy with a photographer prior to deployment. It seems like a great charity and one that hits home for me as I'm an active duty member myself.

My biggest question is with their release that they require photographers to sign. It basically says that the Photographer grants them an unlimited, irrevocable, royalty-free, right and license to use any and all photographs...and any and all copyrights therein, produced, created, taken, made, or shot by the Photographer.

Ok, so I get the license part. It makes sense, considering the type of charity they are and their mission, that I would sign them over a license to use the photos. The part that kind of gets me is the second part that signs all copyrights to them as well. Well, as soon as I do that those photographs are no longer mine. Yet on their website they state that the photographer maintains the copyright to the photos they shoot. They contradict themselves, don't they? And in this case i would figure that what I sign trumps what they claim on their site.

The release goes on further to say that it includes, but is not limited to, the right to sell, and to sublicense, the "Licensed Work" to others. Additionally, the photographer waives all rights to royalties and compensastions arising from or relating to the "Licensed Work".

....So they can sell or license my photographs to ANYONE, or any entitity, in the world and I don't make a dime? Ok, they're a charity- I get it. But they can turn around and make a profit on my photographs and I can't do a thing about it?

As much as I want to support their mission, I'm having a few second thoughts about this. They sent me an email approving my work but just need my signed release before they start connecting military families with me.

If you work with HeartsApart.org I'd really like to get your take on it. Even if you don't....what do you think of their release? Thanks.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 11, 2014 20:09 |  #2

Whats to stop you from doing this without using the charity as a "middle man"? Forgive my ignorance about the subject but you say you are active duty member so wouldn't you be able to speak with members about to deploy? One would think doing one or two of them would cause word of mouth to spread.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 11, 2014 20:49 |  #3

I have no knowledge of this group... Although you paraphrased, it sounds like the contract describes a right "to use" all photographs and copyrights. That's different than assigning the copyright to them and giving away your ownership. Small difference, but it means you retain ownership without further compensation. It sounds like you can still claim ownership and use the image yourself, possibly license it to others. Hard to say without a review of the exact wording in its entirety. If you are donating your work and they need to license or charge a fee, it might not be inconsistent. Yet, it does sound a bit like shared copyright therefore should be clarified to avoid.

If you believe the spirit of the charity is good, I suggest asking for clarification by e-mail. The website description might be what is intended even if an attorney prepared the contract differently. It doesn't hurt to ask for a revision if there is a real discrepancy.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,417 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 11, 2014 20:51 |  #4

rivas8409 wrote in post #17089662 (external link)
Ok, so I get the license part. It makes sense, considering the type of charity they are and their mission, that I would sign them over a license to use the photos. The part that kind of gets me is the second part that signs all copyrights to them as well. Well, as soon as I do that those photographs are no longer mine. Yet on their website they state that the photographer maintains the copyright to the photos they shoot. They contradict themselves, don't they?

Yes, so point out that fact and ask them to clarify what they think it means. Then once you know that you can make a better decision about accepting/not accepting the terms.

....So they can sell or license my photographs to ANYONE, or any entitity, in the world and I don't make a dime? Ok, they're a charity- I get it. But they can turn around and make a profit on my photographs and I can't do a thing about it?

They are a charity, they don't and can't make any "profit". What they do is raise money to pay for their work but that money must be used for that purpose - it isn't profit and it doesn't go to shareholders. They can raise money either by taking donations of money or by accepting donations in other forms that could be sold to raise funds. The fact that they sell the images you donate to raise money would seem to be a fairly normal activity for a charity.... just like selling cakes baked by local housewives etc.

Having said that I would suggest that you again ask them about this. The license text you quoted is standard boilerplate licensing text and it could well be that they have simply used this to cover themselves but have no actual intention of selling your work (who would they sell it to?)

Talk to them. I am sure they won't bite. Once you know what they think it all means you will be better placed to make a decision.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 11, 2014 22:17 |  #5

the flying moose wrote in post #17090118 (external link)
Whats to stop you from doing this without using the charity as a "middle man"? Forgive my ignorance about the subject but you say you are active duty member so wouldn't you be able to speak with members about to deploy? One would think doing one or two of them would cause word of mouth to spread.

I started thinking about that too. I may do just that.

CAPhotog wrote in post #17090195 (external link)
I have no knowledge of this group... Although you paraphrased, it sounds like the contract describes a right "to use" all photographs and copyrights. That's different than assigning the copyright to them and giving away your ownership. Small difference, but it means you retain ownership without further compensation. It sounds like you can still claim ownership and use the image yourself, possibly license it to others. Hard to say without a review of the exact wording in its entirety. If you are donating your work and they need to license or charge a fee, it might not be inconsistent. Yet, it does sound a bit like shared copyright therefore should be clarified to avoid.

If you believe the spirit of the charity is good, I suggest asking for clarification by e-mail. The website description might be what is intended even if an attorney prepared the contract differently. It doesn't hurt to ask for a revision if there is a real discrepancy.

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17090197 (external link)
Yes, so point out that fact and ask them to clarify what they think it means. Then once you know that you can make a better decision about accepting/not accepting the terms.

They are a charity, they don't and can't make any "profit". What they do is raise money to pay for their work but that money must be used for that purpose - it isn't profit and it doesn't go to shareholders. They can raise money either by taking donations of money or by accepting donations in other forms that could be sold to raise funds. The fact that they sell the images you donate to raise money would seem to be a fairly normal activity for a charity.... just like selling cakes baked by local housewives etc.

Having said that I would suggest that you again ask them about this. The license text you quoted is standard boilerplate licensing text and it could well be that they have simply used this to cover themselves but have no actual intention of selling your work (who would they sell it to?)

Talk to them. I am sure they won't bite. Once you know what they think it all means you will be better placed to make a decision.

I did ask for clarification from them. I've yet to hear back. I think I started looking at this charity as a way to be involved with a charity. Being a charity I can see how they couldn't sell them for profit, but they could sell or sublicense the photos to a non-charity and then that organization could make a profit from it. That's my biggest concern with the release- I'd be giving them the right to sell and sublicense the photos to anyone, anywhere, in the world.

Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 11, 2014 22:44 |  #6

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17090197 (external link)
They are a charity, they don't and can't make any "profit". What they do is raise money to pay for their work but that money must be used for that purpose - it isn't profit and it doesn't go to shareholders. They can raise money either by taking donations of money or by accepting donations in other forms that could be sold to raise funds. The fact that they sell the images you donate to raise money would seem to be a fairly normal activity for a charity.... just like selling cakes baked by local housewives etc. ..

Charities don't quite work as charitably as that. They do have to give some of what they collect to their cause but they can bury the bulk of what they collect into things like salaries, operating expenses, and a lot of other things. It is not unheard of that 90% of what is donated gets used up before the charitable group sees penny one. I was not able to find this charity on any of the charity review sites so it's hard to say how reputable these folks are.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 11, 2014 23:00 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #17090369 (external link)
Charities don't quite work as charitably as that. They do have to give some of what they collect to their cause but they can bury the bulk of what they collect into things like salaries, operating expenses, and a lot of other things. It is not unheard of that 90% of what is donated gets used up before the charitable group sees penny one........

^This. There have been quite a few scandals involving million dollar salaries for charity CEOs.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 11, 2014 23:22 |  #8

To me a simple release allowing them to give the family the photo files for free would be sufficient. It's the whole granting copyrights and permission to sell or sublicense the photos that has me thinking twice.

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2014 12:14 |  #9

Well I heard back from them. Apparently the photogapher retains the copyright. Their release is just horribly worded it seems. Maybe it's overkill, but I'm considering taking the release to have a lawyer look at it.

Now I started thinking about tax/IRS concerns as well. They're an IRS Code Section 501(c) organization, so now I'm wondering how this whole donation works come tax time. I'll basically be donating a portrait session and all the final high res digital files from the session (they want at least 20). .....Time to call up my accountant.

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2014 15:03 |  #10

Hmmm... Heard back from them again about the tax deduction thing. They classify the photographers who sign up for this as volunteers apparently. So the photographer is volunteering their services, not donating their services so no deduction. Seems like a grey area...

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,073 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 12, 2014 16:48 |  #11

The IRS doesn't allow deducting the value of donated time anyway. You can deduct expenses you incur as a volunteer, such as the cost of travel.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2014 18:46 |  #12

OhLook wrote in post #17091910 (external link)
The IRS doesn't allow deducting the value of donated time anyway. You can deduct expenses you incur as a volunteer, such as the cost of travel.

Right, I got that. It's just not time being donated though. Wouldn't the final images be considered a donation? They're a product with a value.

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row, you know?

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,073 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 12, 2014 20:02 |  #13

Instructions for Schedule A (PDF) (external link)

The IRS can line up those ducks better than I can.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

1,636 views & 0 likes for this thread
HeartsApart.org question.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.