Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 11 Aug 2014 (Monday) 22:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

grungy industrial background for product photography

TTUShooter
378 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 11, 2014 22:28 |  #1

I'm seeking suggestions for a grungy industrial type background for product photography shots. the items being photographed are small metal machined parts.

i am thinking something like weathered diamond plate or things of the like, but i'm drawing blanks on what else, and also where to get ahold of it.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 11, 2014 22:37 |  #2

Maybe a grimy, beat up old workbench top? I can't imagine it would be too hard to find something like that. Any wooden work bench that 's seen serious use will not only have the dents, knicks and scratches to go with it, but oil and grease stains as well. Could be interesting. Or maybe a seriously well used stainless steel worktop from an old toolbox or work surface. Check the tools section of Craigslist, or the farm section. I'd imagine there are just as many people selling off old tools and shop equipment there as there are here.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2014 23:02 |  #3

Have you tried visiting a junkyard, and just picking up whatever looks cool?

TTUShooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 11, 2014 23:06 |  #4

Clean Gene wrote in post #17090390 (external link)
Have you tried visiting a junkyard, and just picking up whatever looks cool?

not yet, in the brainstorming phase, that was on my list.

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2014 15:35 |  #5

TTUShooter wrote in post #17090351 (external link)
I'm seeking suggestions for a grungy industrial type background for product photography shots. the items being photographed are small metal machined parts.

i am thinking something like weathered diamond plate or things of the like, but i'm drawing blanks on what else, and also where to get ahold of it.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Product photography, comes with rules or possible customer satisfaction problems.
Just as much as you want to show the product you want to make sure the customer doesn't get confused.

Pretty much rule NO 1 is don't have anything else in the picture except the product....

The book Light science and Magic has helped me more in product photography then any other book i have bought.

What is the product you are wanting photograph ?

I do not know if reflective back grounds is the best idea.

Word reflective = polarized reflection and UV reflection and what images it will reflect like a mirror.

What lens and lighting are you plan on using?

Why are you using a cropped body on Product photography ?

If you have a example of what look you really want can you post a picture please.

Farmer

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 12, 2014 15:48 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

farmer1957 wrote in post #17091721 (external link)
Product photography, comes with rules or possible customer satisfaction problems.
Just as much as you want to show the product you want to make sure the customer doesn't get confused.

Pretty much rule NO 1 is don't have anything else in the picture except the product....

The book Light science and Magic has helped me more in product photography then any other book i have bought.

Word reflective = polarized reflection and UV reflection and what images it will reflect like a mirror.

If you have a example of what look you really want can you post a picture please.

Farmer

Well, it depends on what kind of shot he's after.

There're three main kinds of product photos:

1) Drop and shoot: the product alone in a clear and clean background. Your suggestions apply fully to this one.

2) Beauty shot: a more stylistic, heroic even, portrayal of the product (which seems to me is what the OP wants here). Whilst clutter is a no-no, the backgrounds and props do not need to be so clinical that it looks like a drop-and-shoot on steroids.

3) The illustrative image: the product may not even appear in this one. This is the kind of image that sells the idea or need for the product. A factory worker at the bench or even out in the field looking into the sun would be this kind of photo.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2014 17:00 |  #7

farmer1957 wrote in post #17091721 (external link)

Farmer

There's more to product photography than just drop shots. ;)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2014 17:23 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17091934 (external link)
There's more to product photography than just drop shots. ;)

exactly

Are you shooting them at the shop they are made in, or are they giving them to you to shoot in a studio environment?

With product photography, I like to convey the feeling/identity of the company or product you are shooting, or follow their marketing treatment. For example, if the company is a machining/manufacturin​g company, the pieces in a pile of metal chips almost always looks good.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2014 23:32 |  #9

steelbluesleepr wrote in post #17091986 (external link)
exactly

Are you shooting them at the shop they are made in, or are they giving them to you to shoot in a studio environment?

With product photography, I like to convey the feeling/identity of the company or product you are shooting, or follow their marketing treatment. For example, if the company is a machining/manufacturin​g company, the pieces in a pile of metal chips almost always looks good.

I am not going to disagree with you guys but i have had some buyers try to pull a fast one on me.
I own a machine shop, I did a product photo on top of a 40,000 $ CNC. Computerized controlled mill.

The customer bought the product that was sitting on the CNC and then demanded everything in the picture. As in the CNC too,

I refunded the customers money with in 10 minutes of receiving payment from the customer and found out he wanted everything in the picture.

I don't know what else to say except that I only photograph the product and try to have zero props or other items in the picture.

Farmer

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2014 23:35 as a reply to  @ farmer1957's post |  #10

that's what a contract is for.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 13, 2014 00:06 |  #11

farmer1957 wrote in post #17092649 (external link)
I am not going to disagree with you guys but i have had some buyers try to pull a fast one on me.
I own a machine shop, I did a product photo on top of a 40,000 $ CNC. Computerized controlled mill.

The customer bought the product that was sitting on the CNC and then demanded everything in the picture. As in the CNC too,

I refunded the customers money with in 10 minutes of receiving payment from the customer and found out he wanted everything in the picture.

I don't know what else to say except that I only photograph the product and try to have zero props or other items in the picture.

Farmer

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "accessories not included"? Products are shot with props all the time. When you go to the grocery store, you don't expect to get the cooler and ice when you buy beer, just because the photo shows the beer in a cooler full of ice do you?

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,551 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 13, 2014 00:22 |  #12

The OP never said he/she was doing these shots for commercial purposes, yet it seems that almost everyone who has responded has assumed that advertising or commercial usage is to be the intended use of the photos.

I myself have photographed numerous products just because I wanted to be creative and make cool-looking photos of products, even though I have no affiliations with the manufacturers, and no interest in ever marketing or selling the products or my photos of them.

Anyway, I think that expanded metal could be used effectively as a background for the items the OP is interested in photographing. It gets rusty right away, and he/she could experiment with different looks by using different things behind the expanded metal, such as shiny stainless steel, flat black foam core board, etc.

Here's a link to expanded metal images, in case the OP is not familiar with it:
http://www.google.com …kQ_AUoAg&biw=12​87&bih=941 (external link)

The photos all show shiny, unrusted metal, although in reality, any time I go to a steel supply yard to buy it, it is generally rather rusty (even though it is brand new, and even though it has never been outside in the weather).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Jeff ­ Colburn
200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 13, 2014 18:26 |  #13

Depending on what you're shooting, you could try green screen, then you can use anything for a background.

Have Fun,
Jeff

If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.JeffColburn.com (external link)

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by dave63.

Dec 03, 2014 22:51 |  #14

What I would do - for whatever it's worth - is use something not metal or metal-oriented as the background. Try lining up some grungy, well-used pallets, pull the best-looking pieces off, glue them together and create a simulated workbench (think 'grandpa's workbench'). Use some used motor oil in places as a stain. Dark walnut stain in areas, as well. Don't be afraid to mess it up a little.
Whatever you do, don't put any kind of semi-gloss or gloss finish on it. Just rub one application of linseed oil into it, and leave it at that.

The idea is not only creating a faux location, but also a contrast where the well-used space almost pales in comparison to the shiny, freshly machined objects.

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 02, 2015 20:26 |  #15

I had an idea to make it look like a machinist is working on the next product. Get some junk metal to cut up or grind. Buy a cheap grinder, or borrow one from a friend, cheap used one on craigslist...... Try positioning the product on the diamond plate or bench and for the background try to have a workshop type scene with a person cutting or grinding the scrap metal to make sparks. This would give the effect that he is maybe cutting out another part.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

sponsored links

5,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
grungy industrial background for product photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.