Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 07:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100mm 2.8L squeak

Dave ­ Kearley
25 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 12, 2014 07:49 |  #1

Hi all, long time lurker here. I've done a few searches over this matter and can't really find any help on the subject, so I hope you don't mind me posting.

Just taken delivery of a mint condition 100L macro off eBay, I got it for a great price and it is in as new condition. My only issue, not even sure it is even an issue is that when it spins through its focus range sometimes it'll squeak. It's the the IS as it does this with the IS turned off. The stabilisation works a treat and it's knife sharp, I just got a little worried over the squeak. I've asked a few others togs I know with this lens and none have the squeak, a few loud IS noises but no squeak.

Should I send it back or just get used to it?

Thank you in advance

sponsored links
davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Aug 12, 2014 09:19 |  #2

Did the seller claimed that issue?

I would say send it in. Get a cost evaluation. I mean it cant cost more than a calibration as it is most likely not sliding properly because of no oil or whatever

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Dave ­ Kearley
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 12, 2014 09:52 as a reply to  @ davidfarina's post |  #3

I did ask him, he said the handful of times he used it it never made such a sound. It's not doing it every time, more silent than not. I'll take your advice and send it in. Thank you

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 12, 2014 11:20 |  #4

It should not squick ever. Its a dead silent lens. At least for me.
Did you check if it does it at a certain point of the focus range? Does it do so when you manual focus or auto-focus?
If sometimes it doesn't do it at all, it could be that some grain or something found its way inside, or something is slightly loose inside and if you move it sometimes it gets out of place, sometimes it doesn't.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

Dave ­ Kearley
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 12, 2014 11:53 |  #5

When it does squeak it seems to do it just before infinity. I'm gonna play it safe and send it back. Thanks all

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 12, 2014 13:09 |  #6

Send it back. I got a 35L once brand new that did the same thing. When the AF would go back and forth, I always got this chirp/squeak at one end.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

P4ulG
530 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 12, 2014 14:45 |  #7

I've got that lens and mine is very quiet.

Canon 6D Canon 600D Canons 24-105mm L 85mm 1.4 IS L 70-300mm L. 100mm F2.8 macro L IS. 16-35mm L nifty fifty. 55-250mm IS. Speedlights Siggy DG530 super Canon EX430II Vivitar 3700

sponsored links

1,580 views & 0 likes for this thread
100mm 2.8L squeak
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.