Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 05 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 20:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CC Seascape

Minus1
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 07, 2014 11:30 |  #16

I would have liked to have seen all of the ocean foam/sand running across the bottom instead of just the right side, none the less great shot.

sponsored links
DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 08, 2014 13:51 as a reply to  @ Minus1's post |  #17

I generally dont like HDR shots, but I do like how the ocean looks.

I would, however, like to point out that you've also brought out the chromatic abberations around the pillars of the pier. Perhaps you can address that. Also, it feels to me like the pillars aren't 100% straight but i'm not sure.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

dlos
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 09, 2014 10:24 |  #18

DoughnutPhoto wrote in post #17084389 (external link)
I generally dont like HDR shots, but I do like how the ocean looks.

I would, however, like to point out that you've also brought out the chromatic abberations around the pillars of the pier. Perhaps you can address that. Also, it feels to me like the pillars aren't 100% straight but i'm not sure.

This is not an HDR, only levels adjustments and gradients in LR.

Thanks for the feedback. This is not an HDR, only levels adjustments and gradients in LR.

I did notice the aberrations and will look at correcting those on the next pass. I'm pretty sure that overall the scene is level, the pillars may be suffering some distortion from the wide angle and proximity to the camera.

It's a terrible weather day here that I'll be using to work on improving editing skills and likely redoing this one from its out of camera form.

Thanks again!

Canon 5D3 | 60D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF-S 10-22mm

cerett
821 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 10, 2014 21:17 |  #19

vk2gwk wrote in post #17079275 (external link)
Nicely done although a bit overcooked. My main point is: originality..... There are too many of this sort of shots already....

I disagree. There isn't much in this world that hasn't already been photographed one way or another. However, this is what you saw on that given day and, therefore, it is uniquely your creation.

https://www.martinfeld​manphotography.com (external link)

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 10, 2014 21:34 |  #20

samsen wrote in post #17079009 (external link)
Surely a nice image but I believe that is not what you are after if title is CC.

Pros:
Composition, subject choice, timing and tech factors.

Cons:
Over cooked. Don't like the over use of burn tool for eg on the right side of second column on the right side of image.
Flare could be addressed.
Did you thought of a subtle HDR? Or if not, Grad ND?

How would you go about using a grad here? The placement would be kinda hard.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

BostonArtist
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2014 16:18 |  #21

You were at the right spot at the right time, but the composition could have been better in my view point.
1. You had a nice tide coming in and I would have gotten the tripod lower to capture more of the waves coming in. If you shot the waves coming on to the beach sand and a litter slower shutter speed the effect would have been very good or just step back a little more to capture everything. Right now my eye goes right to the sun and the then pier and that is not enough with what you have to work with.
2. Personally I would have taken the shot with a lower sun, the blues in the sky would have been better and more colors to showcase...that sun is too distracting.
3. Work on the rule of thirds on the composition...I feel the horizon line in the middle is too bland.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 12, 2014 14:43 |  #22

cerett wrote in post #17088277 (external link)
I disagree. There isn't much in this world that hasn't already been photographed one way or another. However, this is what you saw on that given day and, therefore, it is uniquely your creation.

While that's true, a big question is "what value does your creation have to the audience?" After all, once the photographer presents it to an audience it stops being just about the photographer. Presenting an image is an attempt to communicate with an audience, and it does matter what people think about the image.

That's not to say that one shouldn't shoot such things, and it's not to say that one shouldn't present such things. Just be aware that a lot of people will say, "pfft, already seen it", and there's not much to say to that. If they think it's boring then they think it's boring, and the fact that it's the photographer's unique creation isn't gonna change that.

sponsored links

2,835 views & 0 likes for this thread
CC Seascape
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.