Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Criticizing the competition

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 12, 2014 16:05 |  #1

A photographer (who happens to be a forum member) was openly criticized by another photographer (on their business website) and portrayed as a "Craigslist Photographer". I'm thinking they are going to lose business over this affair...

http://picturetoburn.c​om/?p=1250 (external link)

Joel

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,680 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 12, 2014 16:18 |  #2

You should be wearing hip-boots before wading into that piece of self-serving garbage.

Moselem
51 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 12, 2014 16:20 |  #3

I don't have a fancy degree hanging on my wall either. Guess I'd better sell my gear and keep my head down. What a pile of rubbish.

Josh Patterson Photography
Burbank Portrait and Headshot Photographer (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

meaton
81 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2014 16:23 |  #4

Two things struck me reading that.

1. For the average potential customer, 2 paragraphs and they would have switched off and gone elsewhere.

2. Using 'diss' instead of disrespect is so out of place I thought I was reading FaceBook.

It really would have been tl;dr for most people I guess.

Over the last 40 years, technology has converged and changed communications beyond recognition. It has done the same for photography, art and fine art and the media they are produced in from electonic to countless different printed media.

Sounds like someone needs to recognise the fact and accept that there are other types of expression that encompass more than just metering, clicking, developing and printing nowadays. And each of our methods of expression are as valid as all the others. To mix a couple of metaphors, the proof of the pudding.. and each to his own.... The results are usually entirely subjective for the majority of work except when you see a WOW that we all like. So showcase your stuff and leave others to it unless they ask for critique.

I used to think that too much pp took it all away from photography but when I thought more deeply about it, pp really merges the old choice of film media and development and allows us to experiment at little cost other than our time. What my dad would have given for that in his old shed with his developing tank and bottles of chemicals :)

I am only a hobbyist but I would love to be good enough to sell stuff.... maybe sometime later....till then I'll get my inspiration one way or another.

benji25
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2014 16:28 |  #5

What he thinks client's priorities are in picking a photographer:

1. Nostalgia
2. Advanced concepts of post processing
3. How it was done in the past
4. His opinion on other photographers
5. "Pure" photography (whatever that is?)
6. How much work other photographers "crank out"
7. etc. etc. etc.

What the clients ACTUAL priorities are:
1. Do I like their portfolio?
2. Can I afford them?

Not to mention I can't get his portfolio to load. That could be me though because I am at work and on internet explorer which is a PoS.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 16:30 |  #6

lol whoever that is their portfolio stinks compared to the photographer they are calling out. Just because you don't have formal education you can't be good! ROFL.

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 16:32 |  #7

ROFL!

Nice "natural" shooting here:

http://picturetoburn.c​om …ortfolio=portfo​lio-post-3 (external link)

Nice HDR there...

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 16:32 |  #8

What is this crap???

http://picturetoburn.c​om/?avada_portfolio=al​bo-21 (external link)

Gear List

benji25
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2014 16:38 |  #9

Casper?

edit: I guess casperetta in this case.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 12, 2014 16:40 |  #10

Wow... and to think I'm still recovering after seeing the 2nd and 3rd images on their home page slideshow.

What the article "really" said...

I'm bitter and twisted because I wasted money on a degree and now struggle with making money from photography yet others leant with no formal education and they are better at business than me. I'm also angry other people are better photographers than me.

Peter

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 12, 2014 16:42 |  #11

Talk about a way to make sure quality customers run away from your business...

meaton
81 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2014 16:46 |  #12

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17091892 (external link)
Wow... and to think I'm still recovering after seeing the 2nd and 3rd images on their home page slideshow.

What the article "really" said...

I'm bitter and twisted because I wasted money on a degree and now struggle with making money from photography yet others leant with no formal education and they are better at business than me. I'm also angry other people are better photographers than me.

^Exactly this...

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 12, 2014 16:49 |  #13

Wow. I've honestly noticed this from a lot of photographers who are "getting up there" in age. They think that because we don't have our own dark rooms and spend hours developing our film we have no place in the business. We are "craigslist", or "instagram" photographers. To me, these type of people no longer have a place in the business, because they are unwilling to change and adapt to where the business is at. This specific example of criticism seems especially unnecessary, since these photographers are two completely different genres. One appears to be a street and still life photographer, and the other is a family and newborn photographer (rated best in Las Vegas by CBS News I might add, hardly CL material). This would be like bluegrass guitar player criticizing Jimmy hendrix for using pedals that changed the stock sound of his guitar.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

losangelino
944 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2014 16:51 |  #14

Looks like he does a lot of pp in his work as well

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

Moselem
51 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 12, 2014 16:54 |  #15

losangelino wrote in post #17091918 (external link)
Looks like he does a lot of pp in his work as well

Yeah, but he made a caveat in the post saying that that's his other shooter's stuff and she needs that crutch to make her images work. He's clearly above such pedestrian machinations.

Josh Patterson Photography
Burbank Portrait and Headshot Photographer (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

18,307 views & 0 likes for this thread
Criticizing the competition
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.