Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Criticizing the competition

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 12, 2014 18:20 |  #46

Kind of ironic to censor comments yet write this in a previous blog post...

"Hearing other opinions are a vital part in determining who they are and what they believe to be important"

Peter

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,402 posts
Gallery: 317 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 12, 2014 18:26 |  #47

I found a red rock pic in both Meg's and Lisa's portfolios: same location, same girl, same dress, different pose. :) It seems they know each other and clearly sometimes shoot together. So no wonder we had them mixed up a bit. :)

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2014 18:41 |  #48

:lol: That was entertaining to read. That guy is a tool! :lol:

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 12, 2014 18:48 |  #49

This whole thread has been entertaining to read. :D
Put yourself on the internet, and be prepared for it all— the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 12, 2014 18:57 |  #50

Moselem wrote in post #17092041 (external link)
Meg Bitton was the photographer he was calling out for not having a formal education: http://www.megbitton.c​om/ (external link) The "oversaturated" shot of the girl and red rocks and the one he posted below that.

So after taking a look at the hack's site in the OP I looked at the work Meg has posted.... fantastic stuff !!!! That guy's an absolute moron in so many ways, how he thinks his work is better than Meg's is astounding. Plus I nearly fell asleep trying to get through his diatribe, no potential customer in the world would make it through all of that.

Davevw3
173 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Aug 12, 2014 19:00 as a reply to  @ madhatter04's post |  #51

You would think that some one with as much "experience," would know that you can't use, edit, and delete a watermark without permission. He puts down other photogs about the ethics of pp when he can't even follow basic laws. Which I learned about in grade 6 while learning how to reference. Oh, and his photos have so much editing it looks like someone found them in the trash, next to the comments he ignores.

P.s. I hope he reads all of this  :p

"Smile, nod, and back away."

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2014 19:29 |  #52

I'd be amazed if this guy ever comes back to this forum.

Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 12, 2014 19:54 |  #53

I like how he says he doesn't care if people comment or message him about him disrespecting another photographer but clearly shows he cares enough to make a post saying he doesn't care. He seems to be the kind of person that talks just because he likes the sound of his own voice.

Very hypocritical to call someone a "Craigslist" photographer when you have an ad on Craigslist yourself.

And to call someone out for "oversaturating" photos yet on your homepage slideshow you have a black and white photo with the single color showing. That seems quite natural.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,840 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 12, 2014 20:08 |  #54

rivas8409 wrote in post #17092243 (external link)

Comes "back"? Has he been here before?

In response to other posts: His descriptions led me to think of Lisa's work at once. The photos had been removed before I saw the blog.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 12, 2014 20:14 |  #55

rivas8409 wrote in post #17092243 (external link)

I don't think he's a member here, but Lisa definitely is.

Joel

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2014 20:21 |  #56

OhLook wrote in post #17092314 (external link)
Comes "back"? Has he been here before?

In response to other posts: His descriptions led me to think of Lisa's work at once. The photos had been removed before I saw the blog.

You're right. I misread the OP. My bad.

Andres14
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2014 20:28 |  #57

OMG I know. I have been following Lisa's work on the seniors forum for years, now she is hanging with Meg. That is an accomplishment. The fellow who ranted on her is totally out of touch with the new age of art and photography. Loser

Newborn, Baby, Family Photographer:
My Gear: 40D | 5D Mark II | 24mm-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.2 L | 28mm-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 USM | Saving up to get the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 lens (Ouch)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 12, 2014 20:30 |  #58

LOL, an other bitter and lost in the digital world "straight out of camera" shooter whining about the times and tech changing. Funny. Besides that in the film days photos were manipulated in the darkroom with all kinds of tricks and alchemy as well. It's just easier and less messy nowadays.

What I capture in camera is my canvas and I do as I please with it in post, I'm just glad I don't have to have an extra room and piles of chemicals to do so.

Nobody has to like it, but calling out particular photographers as "bad" examples speaks of jealousy and insecurity, nothing else. And Lisa hopefully gets lots of hits and new business coming her way :-)

And somebody should probably consider retirement and lighten up a bit.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,275 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 12, 2014 20:34 |  #59

I saw this earlier and didn't have time to but to comment. To try and tear another photographers work down in some attempt to make your work seem more valid is certainly not very cool in my opinion. And worse to post the copyrighted material without their permission on his site even if it were flattering is not cool. Not to mention the photo by Robert Frank and a some photos by few others that he doesn't have permission to use. There are plenty of clients out there that like A and enough out there that like B not to publicly trash the competition.

Pretty petty and I'm glad he removed the other photographers images which he shouldn't have posted to begin with let alone trashing the competition which will come back to bite him hard I'm sure.

losangelino
938 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2014 20:49 |  #60

In film/ video, You have documentary films and you have action, drama, comedy, sci fi. There is an understanding that each genre has it's place. It's no different in photography. Can't figure out why no one watches your film? Don't blame the successful directors, improve your films--find a winning business strategy.

It's much easier to do in photography because there is less money involved, smaller crews and post is single vs thousands of frames.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

sponsored links

18,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
Criticizing the competition
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.