Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 16:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LAKE WEATHERFORD SUNSET

ACESFULL82
719 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 09, 2014 16:41 |  #1

Just seeing what other people say ab out this. Any tips, CC, compliments? Show with a Canon 70D, bulb mode, F22 @19 seconds, ISO 100 and 28mm. No polarizers or ND filters.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/14843800233_f8ec1508d0_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …31981087@N04/14​843800233/  (external link)
LAKE WEATHERFORD SUNSET (external link) by ACESFULL2008 (external link), on Flickr

Canon crap and Canon lenses

sponsored links
vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,840 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 09, 2014 18:18 |  #2

I am not sure if the vignetting adds something to the image. Nice colours. The composition jars a bit with the TV tower being too much in the centre. Would have been more balanced with that tower more to the left, because it tends to catch they eye.
May be a little more light to get some definition in the cluster bottom left.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 09, 2014 20:36 |  #3

Okay. Thanks buddy. I'll keep those in mind next time.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 13, 2014 00:59 |  #4

Nice colors. The composition cuts the frame through the center, generally not a great idea. Not sure which way I would go since neither sky nor water holds more interest. Agree on more light.

And definitely agree on losing the vignette.

And I'm not sure if that shoreline is level....

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 13, 2014 01:51 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #5

1) I think the horizon line is too low. I'd personally move it up to around the top third horizontal line. NOT because that conforms to the "rule of thirds" but instead because it bisects the image in two and there's nothing happening in the top half. The sky doesn't deserve equal weight because nothing is happening there.

2) I love the colors. And I love the CONCEPT of the silhouetted stuff. However, I'm not sure it's working here. My problem is with how the "stuff" translates into a silhouette. Turning something into a silhouette distills it into a shape, but I have a problem with the shapes here. The treeline is interesting as a recognizable treeline, but it just looks all block and clunky once it has been made solid black. Would it look better if it wasn't a silhouette? I don't know. But I don't think it works here, it's just a big fat clunky line that seems to have no order to it. And I dislike the foreground silhouettes too, but for a different reason. While the treeline is at least recognizable as a treeline, I can't tell what the stuff in the foreground even is. The shape of the silhouette just comes off as some junk in the water. And that makes it hard for me to relate the foreground to the background since the shapes in the foreground are vague enough that I can't really determine what they are. If I don't know what I'm looking at, how can I see how it relates to the other stuff?

FoxTrot
115 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 13, 2014 16:28 |  #6

I don't really mind that the horizon cuts through the center of this shot, maybe because of the color transition carried through to the reflection in the lake.

All that I really find distracting is the vignette (even though it compliments the dark aspects of the shot somewhat) and the two lights next to each other in the right of the tree line.

Great shot overall, and I love the colors!

6D and some gear
Flickr (external link)

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 13, 2014 18:16 |  #7

Thanks for the input everybody(critique and compliments)! I see your points on the silhouettes and vignette. Would a panoramic type be any better? I know it's not the normal wide pano view but would it help any?

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 14, 2014 06:41 |  #8

The main problem I see is the angle you shot this. Looks like you were on an eye-level tripod. the result is that the interesting object in the foreground is way to separated from the mid and background.

If you lowered your view to almost level with that foreground subject I believe you would have had quite a good shot. Lowering would have also allowed you to limit the excess sky.

the vignetting simply looks amateurish.

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 14, 2014 07:33 |  #9

Lose the vignette. I'd crop the sky to bring the horizon to the top third, and the stuff in the water to the bottom third. Liking the colors, but perhaps next time do several exposures and combine to get a bit more light on the shadows which are quite blocked.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

sponsored links

1,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
LAKE WEATHERFORD SUNSET
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.