Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 00:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

are there users camera/lenses reviews?

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 12, 2014 00:33 |  #1

Hi

in the past , i was used to give a lot or read to http://www.fredmiranda​.com/reviews/ (external link)

because i wanted to read users reviews about lenses and cameras

but now i see it not very frequented

may i ask you ,are there users camera/lenses review sites?

thanks

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

sponsored links
Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 12, 2014 01:27 |  #2

Amazon and B&H plenty of "reviewer" users/beginners/pseudo​-experts/experts/quarte​r-pro/semi-pro/3quarter-pro/pseudo-pro/pro,
even if they have nothing to say they write it, and some of them write a lot as long as an encyclopedia just about how to turn the focus ring for example ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 12, 2014 02:20 |  #3

Not sure what your purpose of reading reviews is. If you just like to read whatever, then there are plenty of whatever sites.

If you want to read review in order to narrow down your final list, leading to a purchase, not only for camera but almost everything else as well, I use Amazon. The reviews are made by users like me and you not professionals with sponsorship binds and various financial interest in mind so result is either totally skewed or manipulated in the best way that suits a sale hiding/overemphasis a fact. Amazon has relative OK prices too so one may decide to make the purchase right there knowing the he/she will not be cheated too much. Though I personally mostly use their prices as guideline and again mostly find a better deal somewhere else. All I can say is that reviews on Amazon are closest to reality if you know how to analyze the best and worst reviews and titrate them correctly in view of who and under what condition wrote them. Many other sites do have similar set up and reviews but from my own experience, they are highly edited reviews. The moment I leave a review that is not suitable for the sale, it will be censured so I don't believe in a lot of sites.

There are other individuals on line making constant reviews say Ken Rockwell or likewise but then if you read enough, you will say 2 different article by the same author has two exactly contradictory conclusion to one another. So you understand how green dollars can bend the result of a research in every direction and would question yourself about your wasted time there.

Again if you need to make a decision for a purchase, one of the worst thing you can do is to ask a question in a forum like this where everybody depending on what they own will try to push you in one direction leaving you with more questions at the end, rather than answer you were hopping for.

Be selective on what you seek and you should be fine.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 12, 2014 09:40 |  #4

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17090543 (external link)
Amazon and B&H plenty of "reviewer" users/beginners/pseudo​-experts/experts/quarte​r-pro/semi-pro/3quarter-pro/pseudo-pro/pro,
even if they have nothing to say they write it, and some of them write a lot as long as an encyclopedia just about how to turn the focus ring for example ;)

samsen wrote in post #17090574 (external link)
Not sure what your purpose of reading reviews is. If you just like to read whatever, then there are plenty of whatever sites.

If you want to read review in order to narrow down your final list, leading to a purchase, not only for camera but almost everything else as well, I use Amazon. The reviews are made by users like me and you not professionals with sponsorship binds and various financial interest in mind so result is either totally skewed or manipulated in the best way that suits a sale hiding/overemphasis a fact. Amazon has relative OK prices too so one may decide to make the purchase right there knowing the he/she will not be cheated too much. Though I personally mostly use their prices as guideline and again mostly find a better deal somewhere else. All I can say is that reviews on Amazon are closest to reality if you know how to analyze the best and worst reviews and titrate them correctly in view of who and under what condition wrote them. Many other sites do have similar set up and reviews but from my own experience, they are highly edited reviews. The moment I leave a review that is not suitable for the sale, it will be censured so I don't believe in a lot of sites.

There are other individuals on line making constant reviews say Ken Rockwell or likewise but then if you read enough, you will say 2 different article by the same author has two exactly contradictory conclusion to one another. So you understand how green dollars can bend the result of a research in every direction and would question yourself about your wasted time there.

Again if you need to make a decision for a purchase, one of the worst thing you can do is to ask a question in a forum like this where everybody depending on what they own will try to push you in one direction leaving you with more questions at the end, rather than answer you were hopping for.

thanks
i want to read sometime users review just to know users feedback about for example a camera or a lens

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2014 14:08 |  #5

I rent it and find out for myself ;) Lensrentals.com and form your own review :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

silma
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2014 03:36 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #6

I take a deep look at the "lens sample photo archive" and try to make my own review of the lenses I'm interested in. I know there's a lot of photoshop there, but in more than one hundred pages threads some good info comes out;)

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2014 05:50 |  #7

Amazon reviews are, in the main, pretty useless. Far too many people say that the PoS they've just bought is the bee's knees - presumably they think (conciously or not) that admitting they've bought a lemon would reflect poorly on them. I read the 1-Star reviews to see if there are any consistent problems.

Ken Rockwell reviews are the same, except that you can normally assume that Amazon users actually own the piece of gear they're reviewing.

For technical info DPReview and The Digital Picture are my favourites.

PotN's lens sample archive is good for spotting problems as well.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,287 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 13, 2014 09:18 |  #8

hollis_f wrote in post #17092949 (external link)
Amazon reviews are, in the main, pretty useless. Far too many people say that the PoS they've just bought is the bee's knees - presumably they think (conciously or not) that admitting they've bought a lemon would reflect poorly on them. I read the 1-Star reviews to see if there are any consistent problems.

Keep in mind, also, that there are a number of sock puppet reviewers on Amazon - people employed by or compensated by the manufacturer to up the count of positive reviews. Looking at the reviewer's other reviews will often reveal inconsistencies. I can't remember the brand, but one manufacturer had different products reviewed by the same person who in one case alleged to be a seasoned pro and in another a rank amateur; all the reviews were suspiciously enthusiastic.

Of course, balancing that is the person who only writes angry reviews and will find something negative to say about even the best product.

It takes time, but reading the reviews carefully and critically will usually distinguish improper use or expectations from faulty merchandise.

I read a ton of reviews before buying each battery grip for my cameras, and so far the reviews have been moderately helpful. In the one instance where I got a defective grip, there was a slightly higher incidence of problems mentioned in the reviews, but not a huge number.

Recently, I talked to a friend (an actual professional, not just an amateur with delusions) who had obtained three consecutive copies of a certain lens, and all had failed just outside the warranty period. Having just considered and rejected that lens about a month prior, I was very glad I had done so! It's important to have some notion of who the reviewer is - which is harder but not impossible with online reviews.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 13, 2014 11:01 |  #9

Google is your friend. Simply enter "Canon EF xxx fn.n review" and you'll get a good number of reviews from different folks to choose from.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,029 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 13, 2014 11:07 |  #10

samsen wrote in post #17090574 (external link)

you consider the amazon reviews "selective" :rolleyes:?

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 13, 2014 11:22 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #11

GregDunn wrote in post #17093241 (external link)
Keep in mind, also, that there are a number of sock puppet reviewers on Amazon - people employed by or compensated by the manufacturer to up the count of positive reviews. Looking at the reviewer's other reviews will often reveal inconsistencies. I can't remember the brand, but one manufacturer had different products reviewed by the same person who in one case alleged to be a seasoned pro and in another a rank amateur; all the reviews were suspiciously enthusiastic.

Of course, balancing that is the person who only writes angry reviews and will find something negative to say about even the best product.

It takes time, but reading the reviews carefully and critically will usually distinguish improper use or expectations from faulty merchandise.

I read a ton of reviews before buying each battery grip for my cameras, and so far the reviews have been moderately helpful. In the one instance where I got a defective grip, there was a slightly higher incidence of problems mentioned in the reviews, but not a huge number.

Recently, I talked to a friend (an actual professional, not just an amateur with delusions) who had obtained three consecutive copies of a certain lens, and all had failed just outside the warranty period. Having just considered and rejected that lens about a month prior, I was very glad I had done so! It's important to have some notion of who the reviewer is - which is harder but not impossible with online reviews.

bratkinson wrote in post #17093461 (external link)
Google is your friend. Simply enter "Canon EF xxx fn.n review" and you'll get a good number of reviews from different folks to choose from.

thanks !

do you know i wanted to buy a second body ?
i did pick up the 6d
it's a nice camera , i mean the image quality it's better then my 5d mk2 ,and i guess the af too ,i have used for 4 months , it's handy but i hate the joystick missing and the small dial
it's really very annoying for me
i can't understand why they did not use a similar 5d classic body
well ,that's why i wanted and want to read some users review ..

when i bought it , i liked the body , and i thought well i I'll get used...nope

the 5d mark3 was too expensive , the 70d (crop sensor 1.6) has the same small dial and no joystick

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 13, 2014 17:27 |  #12

mantra wrote in post #17093510 (external link)
thanks !

do you know i wanted to buy a second body ?
i did pick up the 6d
it's a nice camera , i mean the image quality it's better then my 5d mk2 ,and i guess the af too ,i have used for 4 months , it's handy but i hate the joystick missing and the small dial
it's really very annoying for me
i can't understand why they did not use a similar 5d classic body
well ,that's why i wanted and want to read some users review ..

when i bought it , i liked the body , and i thought well i I'll get used...nope

the 5d mark3 was too expensive , the 70d (crop sensor 1.6) has the same small dial and no joystick

I tried a 6D in a shop last year, just to know how it feel (no intention to buy it), my thumb, automatically, tried to find the joystick, i gave it back immediately to the salesman
All my bodies have joystick, i'm too addictive to it :lol:

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 13, 2014 17:32 |  #13

I like the-digital-picture.com for Canon gear reviews. Bryan is like the antithesis of Ken Rockwell - writes about Canon instead of Nikon, puts actual thought into his reviews, and concentrates on things that matter instead of blathering on about which way a zoom ring turns or how many points sunstars have with a certain lens. He also never uses the phrase "real photographers...", one of Ken's worst habits.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 13, 2014 21:09 |  #14

jt354 wrote in post #17094420 (external link)
I like the-digital-picture.com for Canon gear reviews. Bryan is like the antithesis of Ken Rockwell - writes about Canon instead of Nikon, puts actual thought into his reviews, and concentrates on things that matter instead of blathering on about which way a zoom ring turns or how many points sunstars have with a certain lens. He also never uses the phrase "real photographers...", one of Ken's worst habits.

Ken Rockwell is very dangerous to photography ! but i do recognize his talent to make money with his website, very smart how he did it, very smart on this point, very smart how he target the beginner with his very bad family pictures. (but he is very dangerous to photography IMO)

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2014 00:20 |  #15

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17094414 (external link)
I tried a 6D in a shop last year, just to know how it feel (no intention to buy it), my thumb, automatically, tried to find the joystick, i gave it back immediately to the salesman
All my bodies have joystick, i'm too addictive to it :lol:

hi

in short only the 5d mk 3 and 1dx , because even the 70d does not include the joystick

i would like to know if canon will change their future bodies like the 6d and 70D

sponsored links

1,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
are there users camera/lenses reviews?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.