Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Aug 2014 (Monday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Exposing to the middle

wiztek
61 posts
Joined May 2014

Aug 11, 2014 19:31 |  #1

I have found lately that I often over expose a lot of my shots. Ie, I tend to purposely expose to the right. I find, in camera, that this brings out skin tones and highlights expression. Without compensating left or right, I often find that the skin tones seem to be grey and dull. As a result, I often get blown out highlights whether they are in the background or in certain parts of the subject. As a result, I run in to a lot of problem in post.

I have been looking at some post processing before and after shots, and I often find that the skin tones on the before shots very much emulate the grey/dull tones that I try to avoid by exposing to the right. After processing, they seem to look perfect.

I shoot everything in raw, and enjoy post processing. I’ve yet to experiment on ‘exposing to the middle’, but is this the right exposure approach? Should I allow for grey tones SOOC (‘correctly exposed’) and edit the overall image/tones in post?

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,059 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 11, 2014 21:20 |  #2

The reflected light meter tries to take whatever it sees, and render it 18% grey!
Memorize this point by repeating it 100 times.

That is why the suggested exposure, when pointed at a face, renders the face greyish instead of it being about 1EV brighter than an 18% grey card. And that is why the EC control is in your camera, to use when you are in one of the automatic modes (P, Av, Tv).

ETTR is a technique which allows you to:

1. preserve details in the highlights, while also
  2. allocating more digital levels to capture better shadow details

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 12, 2014 08:42 |  #3

wiztek wrote in post #17090064 (external link)
I tend to purposely expose to the right. ... As a result, I often get blown out highlights whether they are in the background or in certain parts of the subject.

I try to keep the highlights that are important to the image with this: Need an exposure crutch?
Try variations on it & see how it works for you.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 12, 2014 23:43 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #17090238 (external link)
The reflected light meter tries to take whatever it sees, and render it 18% grey!
Memorize this point by repeating it 100 times.

That is why the suggested exposure, when pointed at a face, renders the face greyish instead of it being about 1EV brighter than an 18% grey card. And that is why the EC control is in your camera, to use when you are in one of the automatic modes (P, Av, Tv).

Your bolded statement must never be forgotten.

The statement I bolded only holds true for northern European skin tones. There is a huge range of diversity in skin tones.

This pic was a quick grab shot before the guy disappeared, taken using evaluative metering. Compensation at 0EV. Luckily the bright back ground and the man's dark skin balanced out to give me a good exposure. In effect just the man's face would read something like -1.5EV. I still have detail in the bright back ground and dark shirt. We get lucky sometimes.

Images like this can challenge the camera's dynamic range.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,059 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 13, 2014 09:13 |  #5

yogestee wrote in post #17092667 (external link)
Your bolded statement must never be forgotten.

The statement I bolded only holds true for northern European skin tones. There is a huge range of diversity in skin tones.

If you point a spotmeter at very dark skin of the example OR the light skin of an Irish lass or a Nordic lady, EACH will be rendered GREY!

Spotmeter the midtone...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/metermid_zpsefe9ca14.jpg

Spotmeter the black zone...
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/Meterblack_zps4409c358.jpg

Spotmeter the white zone...
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/Meterwhite_zps7d8c36ea.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 13, 2014 11:23 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #17093230 (external link)
If you point a spotmeter at very dark skin of the example OR the light skin of an Irish lass or a Nordic lady, EACH will be rendered GREY!

Spotmeter the midtone...
QUOTED IMAGE

Spotmeter the black zone...
QUOTED IMAGE

Spotmeter the white zone...
QUOTED IMAGE

True,, I wasn't debating this and maybe I could have made my point clearer. But and a big but, the dark skinned Bangladeshi could be over exposed without exposure compensation compared to a Nordic lady.

In effect a Nordic skin tone will give you a higher EV than a dark skinned Bangladeshi when metered with a reflectance meter. To get a truer value I'd suggest an incident reading.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 15, 2014 07:59 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #7

I have found lately that I often over expose a lot of my shots. Ie, I tend to purposely expose to the right

I guess I'm having difficulty in understanding how you can properly ETTR and have blown out highlights.

Using that live view screen with the histogram exposed gives an iron clad method of proper exposure provided
you adjust your picture style settings to neutral...because that LV image is a jpeg rendition of your image.
Simply input your desired f/stop, SS, and ISO>activate the LV Mode>alter any of the settings to push that histogram to the right or left. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 15, 2014 11:45 |  #8

^^ because you're trying to expose for a face not the whole scene.

You can have a perfect looking histogram, but there's no way to know if the pixels that make up someones face are at one end or the other, or in the middle, and depending on their skin colour those pixels should be at one end or the other, or in the middle...

For portraits i'd say the histogram is near useless.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 18, 2014 08:45 as a reply to  @ RMH's post |  #9

You can have a perfect looking histogram, but there's no way to know if the pixels that make up someones face are at one end or the other, or in the middle, and depending on their skin colour those pixels should be at one end or the other, or in the middle...

That's true enough, but...that's why we use post production. If the highlights are there, so is everything else. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links

1,713 views & 0 likes for this thread
Exposing to the middle
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.