Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Criticizing the competition

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 12, 2014 21:55 |  #61

I hope someone has screen captures and sues that guy. What a tool.

sponsored links
Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 12, 2014 22:15 |  #62

I've always believed that the person who wastes time being critical of another photographer does so, in no small part, because he's able to acknowledge a severe shortfall in his own abilities.

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,363 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 12, 2014 22:18 |  #63

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17092363 (external link)
And worse to post the copyrighted material without their permission on his site even if it were flattering is not cool. Not to mention the photo by Robert Frank

Is that the one of men at a lunch counter? I knew I'd seen it before, and it was that one especially that brought the word "classic" to mind.

If this guy is such a superior photographer, he could post his own work to show his readers how it's done right.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

meaton
81 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2014 02:58 |  #64

OhLook wrote in post #17092518 (external link)
Is that the one of men at a lunch counter? I knew I'd seen it before, and it was that one especially that brought the word "classic" to mind.

If this guy is such a superior photographer, he could post his own work to show his readers how it's done right.

He did, but they won't load :rolleyes:

Did I see his name was Patrick? I think someone added an unecessary 'at' in there.

delta0014
313 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 13, 2014 05:35 |  #65

Anyone else use his contact us link to let him know how big of a loser he is?

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 13, 2014 06:27 |  #66

Saw his portfolio, not interested in his opinion anymore.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

delta0014
313 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 13, 2014 06:56 |  #67

I'm guessing this is gonna be a very expensive lesson for him on how to use social media.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 13, 2014 08:05 as a reply to  @ armis's post |  #68

Some talk with their camera and some use words I guess. He is jealous and bitter and should be asking for help with his own photography instead of putting down better photographers. It is amazing that he thinks that saying all that to a potential customer would leave a good impression.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 13, 2014 08:20 |  #69

It's clear that he has a hard-on for HDR. I get it. It's become a cliche, to a degree; much in the same way selective coloring did. But the fact of the matter is that people will buy it, so people continue to do it. That's what he seems to have a problem with; the fact that people will buy it.

I think the reason they'll buy it is simple: They don't believe they can achieve that look themselves.

If I take a photo of a lighthouse and offer it for sale, it's highly likely that someone looking at it will say "Hell, I can do that" and not buy the photo. But if I do an HDR version of the same scene, some folks will look at it and decide they can't achieve that look. They won't know anything about the number of exposures or what software I used or anything else. The "pedestrian" view will be "I can't do that, so I think I'll buy this".

Until people stop buying it, it will always be available. Photographers will always produce it. And that's okay.

My Current Line-Up

Aki78
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 13, 2014 08:49 |  #70

(pic removed because the alleged owner whined about it. But just imagine a disinterested girl in an evening gown standing on some nauseatingly over saturated red rocks in the desert )

Wow...yep it's Lisa alright and she's a fantastic photographer we all know.

And in ANY business bad mouthing another business is so unprofessional you might as well just exit the business and start digging your own graves. One of my wife's competition does this; she won't name any names but directly to customers = all the time. We had many upset customers and people that are outright pissed off the way she bad mouths anyone that doesn't support her little shop. Ridiculous.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,022 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 13, 2014 09:35 |  #71

OhLook wrote in post #17092518 (external link)

Yes that's the photo and I agree. But even then sometimes it's apples and oranges. If you are a client and you need an apple you probably aren't going to go to a place that only has oranges. Room out there for all kinds of vision. The key is to have a vision.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 13, 2014 09:43 |  #72

Aki78 wrote in post #17093180 (external link)
Wow...yep it's Lisa alright and she's a fantastic photographer we all know.

Who's Lisa?

And in ANY business bad mouthing another business is so unprofessional you might as well just exit the business and start digging your own graves.

But this is something which is actually ridiculously common amongst photographers. Do a search of "MWC" here on POTN, and you'll find plenty of it.

My Current Line-Up

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 13, 2014 10:00 |  #73

Road Dog wrote in post #17093289 (external link)
Who's Lisa?

http://iso.500px.com …-portrait-photo-tutorial/ (external link)

Joel

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 13, 2014 10:18 |  #74

The pungent scent of bitterness wafting from his words. How sad that he doesn't seem to realize that his business--if he has one--is hurt by his rant.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

benji25
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 13, 2014 10:32 |  #75

Does he rant about this everywhere?

from his about me:

While we are a for profit business, we must say this… There are things more important than money. Photographers can, on average, come up with various fees and costs associated with their services. To be candid, some of these things are strictly designed to make the photographer extra money. Ever wonder what a ‘sitting fee’ is? It’s pointless is what it is! When you tell us what your needs are, we will give you a custom, all inclusive price for our work. Our work involves photographing you and making any adjustments so the photo is ready to print. Thats what we charge! If you want prints, we do not believe in the business model of padding print costs to essentially charge you twice. Many photographers make money off the ‘back end’ in padding the fees that their printers charge them. We do Not believe in this practice! We will be happy to have any of your printing needs done by our printer, but we, unlike many, will Not charge extra. You will get a copy of the invoice we get from the printer, and that is the price You pay. We are a service of taking pictures, not printing them. We can of course offer a variety of printing options for your needs, but be assured, you will not pay one penny more than we do for the cost of prints. If you just want to use our service for digital content, that is fine too! We find it borderline criminal that some photographers talk you into buying print or canvas print products at a ridiculous up charge.

Who puts a rant in their about me page?

And in business the only thing that may be more important than money is your reputation. Certainly not "many things".

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

17,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
Criticizing the competition
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.