Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Criticizing the competition

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 13, 2014 10:51 |  #76

Nice stuff!

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,388 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 13, 2014 10:52 |  #77

Just dumb. It doesn't really matter if the person moaning is correct or not. The very act of bad mouthing someone puts people off. It is just a stupid thing to do when you are in business.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,323 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 13, 2014 11:03 |  #78

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17093437 (external link)
Just dumb. It doesn't really matter if the person moaning is correct or not. The very act of bad mouthing someone puts people off. It is just a stupid thing to do when you are in business.

Absolutely and the fact that the photographer he ripped on's work is intended to be portraits for families and with that intent the work is very good in my opinion, I'm sure those that love that kind of thing are thrilled to have those photos, and the work of Robert Frank and some of the other work he posted were from documentary projects for books and Look/Life magazine. Like I said earlier apples and oranges. And there is room for it all out there.

So he doesn't like that other photographers work. So what? He should worry more about what he is creating and how it fits within his market instead of worrying about that other photographer. Take care of his backyard before he try's to clean up the neighbors backyard. :lol:

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,979 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 13, 2014 11:25 |  #79

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17093264 (external link)
Yes that's the photo and I agree. But even then sometimes it's apples and oranges. If you are a client and you need an apple you probably aren't going to go to a place that only has oranges.

Forget oranges. If you need an apple, you won't go to a place that only has socket wrenches.

The photos from the 1950s that he put up as examples of good photography are social commentary, a totally different genre from commisioned portraits and therefore irrelevant. They're good photos, but they're not good in the way that would make them an alternative choice to "a disinterested girl in an evening gown" and "oversaturated red rocks." Their emotional distance from the subject isn't what you want to see in a picture of yourself or your relatives.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 13, 2014 11:54 |  #80

I like how he now put up on his blog that he doesn't care and he just trashes the comments that he gets in. Well....why even have the comments section. I notice there are 0 posted. Must be that nobody likes him.

Gear List

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 13, 2014 11:54 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #81

I wish he would join this board. I would think the engaging conversation that would take place between some of our members and him would be very educational for many of us. Or something like that.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 13, 2014 12:05 |  #82
bannedPermanent ban

joeblack2022 wrote in post #17091805 (external link)
A photographer (who happens to be a forum member) was openly criticized by another photographer (on their business website) and portrayed as a "Craigslist Photographer". I'm thinking they are going to lose business over this affair...

http://picturetoburn.c​om/?p=1250 (external link)

I tried the guys site. His portfolio won't load. His contact page doesn't work. He doesn't say clearly where his studio is - if it's in the about section, I got bored after the first paragraph.

He is breaking copyright on every image he has stolen from other photographers (like them or not).

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 13, 2014 13:13 |  #83

benji25 wrote in post #17093384 (external link)
Who puts a rant in their about me page?

I didn't see that before, it sounds like he has issues with the portrait industry in general. So why bother with it?

SuffolkGal wrote in post #17093629 (external link)
I tried the guys site. His portfolio won't load. His contact page doesn't work.

To be fair, it may be server related since he's brought himself way more exposure than he ever imagined I suspect...

Joel

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 13, 2014 14:11 |  #84

benji25 wrote in post #17093384 (external link)
Does he rant about this everywhere?

from his about me:

Who puts a rant in their about me page?

And in business the only thing that may be more important than money is your reputation. Certainly not "many things".

I'm not defending this guy one bit, but if this is how he runs his business model then so be it. The only way he's stay in business is to charge a higher rate for his sessions....in essence a "sitting fee" that he says is pointless. Maybe he doesn't call it a sitting fee, but that's exactly what it is. "Sitting fee", "portrait fee", "session fee"....they're the same thing. If he doesn't mark up his prints then I would image the "custom all inclusive price" he gives is pretty high.

This is a perfect example of misdirection. "I don't charge a sitting fee. Sitting fees are pointless. When you tell me what you want I tell you that I'll charge you $XXXX.00 for it. But it's not a sitting fee...it's a custom all inclusive price JUST FOR YOU." :lol: This guy should work on infomercials!

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,323 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 13, 2014 14:23 |  #85

Lets be careful and not become just like him. Like his work or not he shouldn't have used copyrighted material without permission. Bashing the comp will only hurt him. I say it's best to just leave it at that. Calling him names and bashing his work starts going down his road which is a road I would advise to stay clear of.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 13, 2014 14:34 as a reply to  @ rivas8409's post |  #86

OMG, did anyone check out the home page? the selective color girl is a freaking hilariously hideous image. Also, he has stolen an image of Lauren Bacall for his blog post today.

I have a client who wants to bash a competitor on a new website who he feels has blatantly copied his style. Thinking about showing him this thread (after being paid in full) so he can see how petty that kind of thing looks to the general public.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kacebelle
305 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 13, 2014 14:42 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #87

This person seriously has issues. It appears this one is from today. I almost feel sorry for someone who is this obsessed with another person.

http://picturetoburn.c​om/?p=1280 (external link)

My Stuff | My flickr (external link) |My Website (external link)| My Blog (external link) | My Feedback

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,437 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 13, 2014 15:02 |  #88

It's quite funny that he says:

"You know most people when you offer up criticism can actually take it."

and then proves he himself can't take any criticism at all, as he trashes all comments and emails without reading them (his words). And he has now disabled comments altogether.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 13, 2014 15:06 |  #89

I'm guessing that he's just unintentionally helping her get even more business. If they came to his site and saw examples of her work, then read how bitter he was, they're gonna flock to her. Her work speaks for itself, his bitter words is all I'd need to see to run the other way.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 13, 2014 22:19 |  #90

This has been the most entertaining read of the day

Not only is he a total dick, but sexist too
http://www.weddingwire​.com …ood/08518204971​c82f0.html (external link)

edit: more over-processed mediocre photography
https://www.flickr.com​/search/?tags=sevenlak​esstudio (external link)

Selbe's personal flickr
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/stacylynn/ (external link)

Their Google+ page
https://plus.google.co​m/11100334051933681770​2/about (external link)

And their Instagram complete with Peter's condescending eyes staring into your soul
http://iconosquare.com …760841329741366​_245962594 (external link)

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

18,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
Criticizing the competition
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.