Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not happy at all with Amazon Prime

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2014 14:30 |  #16

I love amazon and buy tons from them, but over the past few years they have definitely decreased their delivery service and increased their prime pricing. I dont like it when they have this stuff moved to USPS etc its a real pain, and now if you want one day shipping its normally totally outrageous to use that option. I have had good luck so I cant complain, the USPS lady that works on my street is awesome, always happy, great service to us.

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

sponsored links
BobDawg
261 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 13, 2014 14:32 |  #17

They are probably adjusting their shipping methods because it is becoming too expensive for them, so rather than jacking up the price for prime (again), they may be trying to find cheaper alternatives.

Canon 60D, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50mm, YN-560 IV Flash (2)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,236 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 13, 2014 14:39 |  #18

tekkie wrote in post #17094043 (external link)
I love amazon and buy tons from them, but over the past few years they have definitely decreased their delivery service and increased their prime pricing. I dont like it when they have this stuff moved to USPS etc its a real pain, and now if you want one day shipping its normally totally outrageous to use that option. I have had good luck so I cant complain, the USPS lady that works on my street is awesome, always happy, great service to us.

I guess I'm lucky as well. USPS, UPS, FedEx, all are really good. If we get a package our USPS guy will ring the bell and wait for an answer and had us our mail at the same time.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Robogenisis
52 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2014 15:00 |  #19

I've always had the absolute worst luck with USPS. They're constantly finding any excuse they can to not deliver my stuff, and >>IF<< they actually deliver it's usually a day late. I've had them not deliver because it was raining.

The last time I ordered something from Amazon (a couple weeks ago), USPS didn't even TRY to deliver it. They just marked it as "Incorrect Address" and immediately sent it back to Amazon without anyway of stopping it. I've never had any problems with UPS or Fedex shipping here.

Canon 6D, 7D | Canon EF 24-105L | EF-S 15-85mm | Speedlite 430ex II
Sigma 105mm Macro | Sigma 55-200mm | Rokinon 8mm
Kenko Extention Tubes | Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 + Sirui K-30x
flickr (external link)

M_Six
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2014 16:51 |  #20

So I picked up my package at the local P.O. this afternoon. No signature required. So Amazon shipped a $900 lens via UPS SurePost with no signature required. If it had been stolen out of my mailbox, USPS would have reported it delivered and I'd have been caught between USPS and UPS pointing fingers at each other with Amazon saying they have delivery confirmation.

It could just be me, but I think I have a right to be a bit upset with Amazon shipping.

Just a heads up for anyone buying something pricey from Amazon. You might want to keep an eye on you tracking and maybe have the package held at UPS before they send it to the post office or have it held at the post office.

Mark J.
Gear

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 13, 2014 17:45 |  #21

M_Six wrote in post #17094347 (external link)
So I picked up my package at the local P.O. this afternoon. No signature required. So Amazon shipped a $900 lens via UPS SurePost with no signature required. If it had been stolen out of my mailbox, USPS would have reported it delivered and I'd have been caught between USPS and UPS pointing fingers at each other with Amazon saying they have delivery confirmation.

It could just be me, but I think I have a right to be a bit upset with Amazon shipping.

Just a heads up for anyone buying something pricey from Amazon. You might want to keep an eye on you tracking and maybe have the package held at UPS before they send it to the post office or have it held at the post office.

You're upset because you got your lens and it's fine and you MAY have POSSIBLY had a problem?

Gear List

M_Six
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2014 18:11 |  #22

Numenorean wrote in post #17094431 (external link)
You're upset because you got your lens and it's fine and you MAY have POSSIBLY had a problem?

What part of this do you not understand? If I pay $900 for anything, I expect the shipper to take precautions to make sure I get the package. Shipping something like this with no signature required and that would have been stuffed in my mailbox is unacceptable. That fact that I got it ok is irrelevant. Amazon should not be shipping expensive gear this way.

The fact that some drunk drivers make it home ok after a night out does not mean it's ok to drive drunk. The fact that I was able to pick up my package at the P.O. to prevent it sitting unprotected in my maibox all day does not make it ok for Amazon to ship it without requiring a signature at least.

Mark J.
Gear

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 13, 2014 18:16 |  #23

Numenorean wrote in post #17093786 (external link)
Amazon Prime only is a 2-day free shipping. It doesn't specify any specific provider.

This.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 13, 2014 18:20 |  #24

To the OP, sorry you didn't get the service you expected. No matter what you ordered, Amazon Prime sometimes doesn't have any respect for how much an item is worth. With all the items they ship on a given day, I don't think they discriminate in such detail. For instance, I ordered 4 movie posters from the same company. Two came regular USPS, one came UPS, and one ended up at the post office 12 miles from my house and I had to go get it. The Amazon Prime one was the one at the post office. I try to tell Amazon to send it UPS as they tend to deliver everything right to my door. And I did order my SL1 with lens and that was delivered just as one of the posters was.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 13, 2014 18:20 |  #25

M_Six wrote in post #17094491 (external link)
What part of this do you not understand? If I pay $900 for anything, I expect the shipper to take precautions to make sure I get the package. Shipping something like this with no signature required and that would have been stuffed in my mailbox is unacceptable. That fact that I got it ok is irrelevant. Amazon should not be shipping expensive gear this way.

The fact that some drunk drivers make it home ok after a night out does not mean it's ok to drive drunk. The fact that I was able to pick up my package at the P.O. to prevent it sitting unprotected in my maibox all day does not make it ok for Amazon to ship it without requiring a signature at least.

ROFL! Comparing drunk driving to shipping a package.

Amazon shipped you the package. You got the package. Why are you complaining?

You are complaining that there might be an issue. And even if there was you are assuming that Amazon wouldn't take care of it - not even giving them the chance to fix something that never even happened!

Gear List

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 13, 2014 18:22 |  #26

I expect the shipper to take precautions to make sure I get the package.

Did they miss the delivery date yet? Did you get the package? Okay then.

Shipping something like this with no signature required and that would have been stuffed in my mailbox is unacceptable.

How is Amazon supposed to know your USPS carrier sucks? Mine was great and I lived in Chicago (city proper).

Amazon should not be shipping expensive gear this way.

Why not? Just because you don't think so? I've bought many cameras and lenses, all $1000+, with Amazon Prime. Some delivered with UPS, FedEx, and others USPS. Rarely a problem. And if there is, Amazon is quick to fix it. Any time I've had a problem they've overnighted me a replacement without me even having sent back the defective item. I've also had packages go missing...again, they overnight me a replacement.

Signature deliveries are not part of Amazon Prime. So if you want that service, buy elsewhere. Really not that difficult of a concept. Don't blame Amazon because you want to be treated like royalty.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 13, 2014 18:40 |  #27

Prime means you get free 2-day shipping. Doesn't mean they will use the most expensive shipping. Shipping isn't free so they will most likely use the cheapest shipping for 2 days.

If you got your shipment in two days then they did their part.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 13, 2014 18:52 |  #28

M_Six wrote in post #17094491 (external link)

this is ridiculous...my favorite part is that you expect the shipper to take precautions to make sure you get the package...um...you did get the package...quit making up 'what if' scenarios that would've made it so you didn't get the package...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 13, 2014 19:30 |  #29

I've ordered much more expensive things from Amazon, I've never had to sign for any of them, I don't think they do that at all. No matter the value.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

M_Six
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2014 20:33 |  #30

What ever guys. If you're ok with this, go for it. I've had to sign for packages of high value from Amazon Prime before. Usually I have them held at the UPS office near my house. They not only make you sign, they make you show an ID. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Amazon and this is the first time they've shipped something of this value via SurePost. Usually SurePost stuff is ink cartridges or other cheap and light stuff. I'm just surprised that this one was shipped this way.

This issue aside, I don't get the personal attacks here. Why all the anger an hostility about my post? I merely put it out there so others would be aware of how their lenses and such may get shipped so *if* they're worried about it sitting in their mailbox, they can be proactive and have it held prior to delivery. If you don't care about it sitting in your mailbox, then fine. This section is rife with folks posting problems they have with vendors or delivery services and I read most of them and take note in case I use that vendor or service. I see that as a good thing. And yet I immediately get trashed not because I insulted or attacked anyone here on POTN, but because I dared to express my concerns about delivery service I see as being potentially problematic. I fail to see how bringing that to the attention of the MarketPlace is an act worthy of instant disdain. Spreading the word about good deals and bad service is exactly why this section exists. I see plenty of supposed "deals" posted that aren't good deals at all, but I don't jump on and start hurling insults at the OP. :confused:

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links

7,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not happy at all with Amazon Prime
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.