Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2014 23:25 |  #61

Thanks for posting the first worthwhile 7d rumour thread since the first 7D rumour thread. All others have been just a waste of space...

Z...

sponsored links
2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,074 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 13, 2014 08:56 |  #62

EtherealZee wrote in post #17092639 (external link)
Thanks for posting the first worthwhile 7d rumour thread since the first 7D rumour thread. All others have been just a waste of space...

Z...

This is a well done and researched thread. I am intrigued to see how well his guesses come out.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 13, 2014 12:41 |  #63

I think a better way to approach this to figure out the feature set is to look at why someone would buy a 7DII instead of a 6D or 5DIII. For most photography, people buy crop over FF for total kit cost. Making a very expensive crop body, doesn't fit the mold for crop cameras. So there's really just the sub-set that need maximum reach, i.e. wild life photographers/birders. Those people want weather sealing, Great AF, and maximum pixel density. Wifi and integrated grip aren't that useful for someone spending their life in the field attached to a tripod. That all seems to fit with the majority of the CR2 rumors as well. I'll be interested in seeing what comes out, as I enjoy reading about equipment, however I'm not the target audience for such a camera.

howiewu
628 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 13, 2014 14:01 |  #64

vengence wrote in post #17093723 (external link)
I think a better way to approach this to figure out the feature set is to look at why someone would buy a 7DII instead of a 6D or 5DIII. For most photography, people buy crop over FF for total kit cost. Making a very expensive crop body, doesn't fit the mold for crop cameras. So there's really just the sub-set that need maximum reach, i.e. wild life photographers/birders. Those people want weather sealing, Great AF, and maximum pixel density. Wifi and integrated grip aren't that useful for someone spending their life in the field attached to a tripod. That all seems to fit with the majority of the CR2 rumors as well. I'll be interested in seeing what comes out, as I enjoy reading about equipment, however I'm not the target audience for such a camera.

The segment of wildlife and sports shooters is quite significant.

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 13, 2014 16:55 |  #65

Imagemaster wrote in post #17090957 (external link)
What makes you think everyone wants or needs the same things as you? Many people are unhappy with the AF of the 7D and have to focus on more demanding subjects than large contrasty cars travelling on a horizontal plane in a predetermined direction.

Rumor has it that it will not have WiFi or touch screen, so why the Meh? What is the problem with wanting dual slots?

There is nothing wrong with others wanting improved features that you don't want.

There's no problem with any of the rumoured features, the problem is they're all ready tried and tested in other Canon bodies, nothing revolutionary to make us wait all this time for. They won't pacify those of us who waited 5 years for a 7D2, we want a sensor upgrade first and foremost. All the rest of the rumoured features are nice, but they're just window dressing really.

I'm not sure either that there are many people unhappy with their 7D's AF. Most of the MANY threads on here regarding AF issues usually turn out to be operator error.......... :)

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 13, 2014 17:00 |  #66

They won't pacify those of us who waited 5 years for a 7D2

have you really waited since the launch date of the 7d for the 7d2?

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 13, 2014 18:44 |  #67

h14nha wrote in post #17094354 (external link)
nothing revolutionary to make us wait all this time for. They won't pacify those of us who waited 5 years for a 7D2, we want a sensor upgrade first and foremost. All the rest of the rumoured features are nice, but they're just window dressing really.

Well, I haven't been waiting that long. I mean sure, I would always be happier with a better sensor. But it's not like I'm suffering.

I just don't get all this complaining about how long it has taken for a 7D replacement. How many cameras can really top it in its category? It still beats the 70D in a few specs. Two years ago was definitely too early. They were still selling the heck out of the current model. What would be the point other than cannibalizing sales of a model that is selling well? On top of that, many people already said that all they want is a better sensor. So if that sensor wasn't perfected and ready two years ago, or even last year, then it was too early to release the camera.

And make no mistake. If Canon jumps to the .18 fab process, makes a 2 stop improvement to noise, ISO, and DR, that will be revolutionary and worth waiting for.

As for the rest of the specs. They aren't window dressing. Otherwise I would be shooting a rebel and not a 7D.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 13, 2014 18:54 |  #68

vengence wrote in post #17093723 (external link)

Yeah. Good point. What I would want is a few more fps, a more rugged body, and an integrated grip. An integrated grip would be lighter than an accessory grip. Also, an accessory grip compromises the integrity of the sealing system if you have a weather sealed camera. On top of that, it could hold a larger battery. The 1DX uses a larger battery than the 5DIII. The reason is that with certain larger and longer L lenses, the bigger battery gives more power to the lenses and allows them to AF faster.
Since it is a crop camera, the whole thing could be scaled down a small amount - similar to 70D size and made in a way that an integrated grip doesn't make it much taller than the current 7D.

Wifi wouldn't be too useful for wildlife but with sports it would be if your goal is to get pics out to be published as soon as possible. But wifi could be useful in wildlife if it allows for wireless control over the camera. As for the tripod, they can only be used about half the time for me and even then, having to point my elbow at the sky to click the shutter can be a pain in the arse which is why I shoot with a grip frequently.

I would also want a few more fps, dual card slots, and radio control of slaves without a separate transmitter. And hell, while I'm making a wish list, let's throw in a revised eye control AF tied to phase detect dual pixel cmos tracking my eye and matching it with that spot where it hits the sensor and maintaining focus as the subject moves. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

h14nha
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 13, 2014 19:04 |  #69

soccersnaps wrote in post #17094364 (external link)
have you really waited since the launch date of the 7d for the 7d2?

Well I have been waiting to spend money on a 7D upgrade for 3 years. Yes I was/am happy with what I have, but I had money and fancied a new toy. So I waited, and waited and waited............ Rumour after rumour, possible release date after possible release date, I gave up and spent money in the pockets of Fuji instead. Too bad Canon. I'm not the only one, check out the Fuji and Sony threads, people have spent money in other directions, Canon is napping at present..............

Ian
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

h14nha
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 13, 2014 19:13 |  #70

kfreels wrote in post #17094574 (external link)
I just don't get all this complaining about how long it has taken for a 7D replacement. How many cameras can really top it in its category? It still beats the 70D in a few specs. Two years ago was definitely too early. They were still selling the heck out of the current model. What would be the point other than cannibalizing sales of a model that is selling well? On top of that, many people already said that all they want is a better sensor. So if that sensor wasn't perfected and ready two years ago, or even last year, then it was too early to release the camera.

And make no mistake. If Canon jumps to the .18 fab process, makes a 2 stop improvement to noise, ISO, and DR, that will be revolutionary and worth waiting for.

As for the rest of the specs. They aren't window dressing. Otherwise I would be shooting a rebel and not a 7D.

Sony brought out the SLt's and beat the 7D FPS within months of its release. IQ was also superb, my bro in law had one, they are very good and the A77 rivals the 7D in all aspects, its just the lack of Sony lens.

I'm not blagging WiFi/Touchscreen etc, its just that if Canon doesn't improve on the sensor, then these boards will go crazy as they did with the 5D2/3 IQ arguments. it's the sensor improvements all shooters want Canon to develop.

Ian
myflickr (external link)

patrol50
416 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 13, 2014 19:57 |  #71

very good info and well researched from the OP - but should know the real deal pretty soon !!

hoping for a better sensor like everyone else with great iso up to at least 1600; the capability to AF at f8, other features can be much the same, although with 2 card capability - pop up flash, touch screen, built in switch on or off gps and wi fi would all be nice i guess, - price it at $2K and i will be in the line up for one

cheer rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 13, 2014 20:46 |  #72

h14nha wrote in post #17094354 (external link)

I'm not sure either that there are many people unhappy with their 7D's AF. Most of the MANY threads on here regarding AF issues usually turn out to be operator error.......... :)

I don't know... I've been through 3 7D bodies, and ended up having to shoot everything 3 times to (hopefully) have one in good focus. My old 50D, 40D and 400D, and the various 5D's and 5D II's I've used all had a significantly better hit rate. I've moved to the EM-1 since, and have had a very small percentage of shots OOF in comparison. I'm having to re-learn to take each shot just once, now...

Z...

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 13, 2014 21:05 |  #73

kfreels wrote in post #17091919 (external link)
So I'll just come out and say it. $2400 is my personal limit. More than that and I'll just wait for an 80D with the new sensor.

This is a rumor, that I'll give a grade of Gary82. I will cover the cost difference from $2400 to the cost of the camera to you.

Lets downgrade that rumor to Gary1082 :).

It will be interesting to see the price point. I've been believing that it would be in the 2200-2400 range at first. But be a new groundbreaking camera in some regards.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

rjharris
995 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 13, 2014 22:01 |  #74

EtherealZee wrote in post #17094798 (external link)
I don't know... I've been through 3 7D bodies, and ended up having to shoot everything 3 times to (hopefully) have one in good focus. My old 50D, 40D and 400D, and the various 5D's and 5D II's I've used all had a significantly better hit rate. I've moved to the EM-1 since, and have had a very small percentage of shots OOF in comparison. I'm having to re-learn to take each shot just once, now...

Z...

That's funny because my 7D focuses fine, unless I miss my focus point or it's just too dark to take in any light. The autofocus was down on my list compared to high ISO noise.

Imagemaster
26 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2014 23:30 |  #75

rjharris wrote in post #17094909 (external link)
That's funny because my 7D focuses fine, unless I miss my focus point or it's just too dark to take in any light. The autofocus was down on my list compared to high ISO noise.

That does not mean that they all focus as well as yours. There have been lots of complaints about the 7D's AF, just as there have been a lot of reports that the 70D has better AF.

sponsored links

71,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.