Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What'd I do wrong here?

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 13, 2014 14:09 |  #16

I think the toes are pretty sharp so maybe front focused. But the fingers look pretty grainy, too grainy for ISO 100. Maybe some odd compression. Does the RAW look like that?

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

sponsored links
chight
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 13, 2014 19:15 |  #17

quadwing wrote in post #17093968 (external link)
What did you use to create the lighting setup diagram?

http://www.lightingdia​grams.com/Creator (external link) - Very easy to use, love it!

ozzmodan wrote in post #17093967 (external link)
Tripod?
IS on/off?
One shot/AI servo?
Are you focusing on her eyes & then recomposing or selecting a focus point?

Here you go...
Tripod - No (very mobile target, needed to be able to adjust)
IS on (standard/mode 1)
AI Servo
Selecting the closest focus point, but then had to recompose a tiny bit

Anything jump out?

Colleen
Hight Photo (external link)
6D | 70-200 f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8 | Trusty Rebel T3i & kit lenses | And a big wish list...

chight
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 13, 2014 19:20 |  #18

travisvwright wrote in post #17093987 (external link)
I think the toes are pretty sharp so maybe front focused. But the fingers look pretty grainy, too grainy for ISO 100. Maybe some odd compression. Does the RAW look like that?

Yeah, grainy, that's exactly what it looked like to me, which made no sense with the settings. And yes, the RAW looks the same to my eye (not necessarily the most highly trained eye for pixel peeping yet). The original was a little underexposed, not sure if that could do it?

Colleen
6D | 70-200 f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8 | Trusty Rebel T3i & kit lenses | And a big wish list...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 13, 2014 19:51 |  #19

chight wrote in post #17094632 (external link)
http://www.lightingdia​grams.com/Creator (external link) - Very easy to use, love it!

Here you go...
Tripod - No (very mobile target, needed to be able to adjust)
IS on (standard/mode 1)
AI Servo
Selecting the closest focus point, but then had to recompose a tiny bit

Anything jump out?

servo will jump around when recomposing. use one shot.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

chight
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 13, 2014 21:01 |  #20

hes gone wrote in post #17094704 (external link)
=he's gone;17094704]servo will jump around when recomposing. use one shot.

I use back button, then recompose after locking in focus and releasing, that should negate that, right? Obviously I'm using the term "locking" a little loosely here... :)

Colleen

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 13, 2014 21:06 |  #21

chight wrote in post #17094824 (external link)
I use back button, then recompose after locking in focus and releasing, that should negate that, right?

yes it should.

i would still switch to one shot with a sitting subject. but it's just my preference, really.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 13, 2014 21:14 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

chight wrote in post #17094824 (external link)
I use back button, then recompose after locking in focus and releasing, that should negate that, right? Obviously I'm using the term "locking" a little loosely here... :)

That is exactly how I use servo. Once you let off the trigger, focus isn't moving.

OP:
Take this with a grain of salt. I am not a professional. I like the second shot a lot better. The only - slightly annoying - thing that stands out to me is the hots spots on her extreme right neck, right shoulder of her clothing and right arm. I am assuming you moved the umbrella closer. If the umbrella is just out of frame, you may be better off to turn it around and point the flash into the umbrella as usual, but point the umbrella away from her. I use cheap, thin shoot-through umbrellas that generate those types of hot spots. Using them as reflectors instead solves the problem for me. Oh, and deploy the diffuser panel, if you aren't already. It helps fill the umbrella, no matter which direction the flash is pointing.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 19, 2014 07:07 |  #23

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17094854 (external link)
That is exactly how I use servo. Once you let off the trigger, focus isn't moving.

OP:
Take this with a grain of salt. I am not a professional. I like the second shot a lot better. The only - slightly annoying - thing that stands out to me is the hots spots on her extreme right neck, right shoulder of her clothing and right arm. I am assuming you moved the umbrella closer. If the umbrella is just out of frame, you may be better off to turn it around and point the flash into the umbrella as usual, but point the umbrella away from her. I use cheap, thin shoot-through umbrellas that generate those types of hot spots. Using them as reflectors instead solves the problem for me. Oh, and deploy the diffuser panel, if you aren't already. It helps fill the umbrella, no matter which direction the flash is pointing.

"Locking" focus in that sense only applies to One Shot. Even using back button, with AI Servo, the camera will track where you've locked the focus. When you move to recompose, it refocuses because it seems that the subject is moving. I think you either need to choose and use a focus point on her eyes, or change to one shot and lock/recompose.

Kevin

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 19, 2014 07:55 |  #24

kfyount wrote in post #17105008 (external link)
"Locking" focus in that sense only applies to One Shot. Even using back button, with AI Servo, the camera will track where you've locked the focus. When you move to recompose, it refocuses because it seems that the subject is moving. I think you either need to choose and use a focus point on her eyes, or change to one shot and lock/recompose.

You are misunderstanding the use of BBF and Servo. Once you have "lock" you release of the focus button on the back, the focus will not change until you press the button again.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 21, 2014 17:29 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

kfyount wrote in post #17105008 (external link)

See quoted post below.

travisvwright wrote in post #17105065 (external link)
You are misunderstanding the use of BBF and Servo. Once you have "lock" you release of the focus button on the back, the focus will not change until you press the button again.

THAT is how bbaf is used, properly.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links

3,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
What'd I do wrong here?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.