Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 02:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Done before?

armis
899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 14, 2014 02:50 |  #1

I've just discovered that the personal photo project I'd been working on for the past year (on and off, would have kept me busy for another few years) has been done before by another, who happens to be a talented and famous photographer I had never heard of up until this morning.

I am kind of bummed right now.

So, those of you who've had something like that happen to them: do we go on, or do we find something new?

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 14, 2014 03:02 |  #2

armis wrote in post #17095199 (external link)
I've just discovered that the personal photo project I'd been working on for the past year (on and off, would have kept me busy for another few years) has been done before by another, who happens to be a talented and famous photographer I had never heard of up until this morning.

So, those of you who've had something like that happen to them: do we go on, or do we find something new?

Well, if I decided to not do things because they'd been done before, then I'd never do anything.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 14, 2014 10:43 |  #3

Even though it has been done before, you can do it your way, in your own style. In fact, I find it very interesting to see the same thing done by different artists; there is no better way to demonstrate the fact that each of us has his/her own unique personal vision. You really don't have to feel bummed over this; take heart, pour yourself into the project with a renewed energy and enthusiasm, and see if you can do every bit as well as the other photographer did with the project.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

moose10101
registered smartass
1,685 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 14, 2014 12:54 |  #4

armis wrote in post #17095199 (external link)

Years ago I was a fan of a TV show called "Northern Exposure", about a quirky group of characters living in Alaska. One of them, an artist, decided to build a catapult and launch a cow as a piece of performance art. When he told the local film buff about it as it neared completion, the buff replied, "Cool, just like 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'". The artist, shocked, abandoned the project for a while, but finally completed it and launched a piano instead of the cow.

As the character said, "It's not the thing you fling. It's the fling itself."

Launch the piano. Make your statement.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2014 14:07 |  #5

"There's nothing new under the sun."

I didn't make up that phrase, of course. It's been said before.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

jay125
on the happy gas
10,745 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2014 20:42 |  #6

Take it and run with it and make it yours. You can have 25 people photograph the same bridge and get 25 completely different images. I'd keep going. After all, you've already got time and effort invested in it, right? It's your project. Do it!

feedback

gear list

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,605 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 14, 2014 20:47 |  #7

You do it. In photography pretty much everything has been done by someone somewhere. You have a vision, complete it. It's still your work.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MichiTimm
837 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 15, 2014 06:13 |  #8

If the only reason you were doing it was to be doing something that had never been done before... yeah, time to move on to something else.

Otherwise, if you were enjoying doing it keep on keeping on.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2014 10:01 as a reply to  @ MichiTimm's post |  #9

Next time you feel like getting intimate with your significant other, remember that sex has been done before, in every way conceivable and probably with greater skill. Does that mean you shouldn't do it?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,487 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 15, 2014 14:46 |  #10

After 2000 + years of two dimensional art, I would say it's all been done before. The question is how can you do it and make it yours?

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 16, 2014 00:52 |  #11

Yep, personal style reigns supreme! Add your own view...

Bryan

My Gear List

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2014 01:03 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #12

Dont get disheartened - do your project, your way !
Someone else may be doing the same thing at the same time, but it doesnt really matter, your way is your way.

Pretty sure my project has been done before, i am certain that bits and pieces of it have.
Last night i counted another 4 photographers all shooting the same sunset/water crashing over rocks that i was shooting

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

eNTiTy
102 posts
Joined May 2014

Aug 16, 2014 02:01 |  #13

MichiTimm wrote in post #17097439 (external link)
If the only reason you were doing it was to be doing something that had never been done before... yeah, time to move on to something else.

Otherwise, if you were enjoying doing it keep on keeping on.

I agree!

Armis, you still have months and year of work that you developed. No one can take those proofs away from you or say it otherwise. You should still feel proud of that accomplishment.

Entity = NTT = Natalie
6D | 40D | 17-35 f/2.8L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L USM | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | 24-105 f/4L IS USM | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 MkI | 85 f/1.8 USM | 70-210 f/4 (1st gen-can't seem to let it go :o) | 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,487 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2014 10:04 |  #14

Armis lets not forget that Walker Evans photographed America does that mean Robert Frank shouldn't have done The Americans? Evans also photographed on the New York Subway does that mean Bruce Davidson shouldn't have done Subway?

Do the work and if it's real it will have a way of getting all sorted out.

bpiper7
that type of outlier
1,299 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2014 12:19 |  #15

moose10101 wrote in post #17096044 (external link)
As the character said, "It's not the thing you fling. It's the fling itself."

Launch the piano. Make your statement.

Bull's eye!!!! :)

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

sponsored links

1,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
Done before?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.