Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Criticizing the competition

benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 13, 2014 22:55 |  #91

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17094935 (external link)
This has been the most entertaining read of the day

Not only is he a total dick, but sexist too
http://www.weddingwire​.com …ood/08518204971​c82f0.html (external link)

edit: more over-processed mediocre photography
https://www.flickr.com​/search/?tags=sevenlak​esstudio (external link)

Selbe's personal flickr
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/stacylynn/ (external link)

Their Google+ page
https://plus.google.co​m/11100334051933681770​2/about (external link)

And their Instagram complete with Peter's condescending eyes staring into your soul
http://iconosquare.com …760841329741366​_245962594 (external link)

Talk about spray an spray....jesus.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 13, 2014 23:16 |  #92

This is a joke ... right? Negative marketing that backfired??

An amateurish photographer criticizing someone like Lisa Holloway who's such an amazing talent? The only good things about reading this thread are:

1. I feel a bit better about my own cr@ppy abilities after looking at the Seven Lakes Studio site.
2. I really enjoyed the links pointing to Lisa's images. Great stuff. I could spend all evening looking at them and only dream of being so good.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

meaton
81 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 14, 2014 03:10 |  #93

I know the eyes have to be in focus but omg those over processed bright blue eyes just remind me of Damien Omen or The Exorcist /shudder

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 14, 2014 06:32 |  #94

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17094026 (external link)
Lets be careful and not become just like him. Like his work or not he shouldn't have used copyrighted material without permission. Bashing the comp will only hurt him. I say it's best to just leave it at that. Calling him names and bashing his work starts going down his road which is a road I would advise to stay clear of.

This.

The internet hive-mind backlash has been a bit much.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 14, 2014 07:21 |  #95
bannedPermanent ban

bacchanal wrote in post #17095378 (external link)
This.

The internet hive-mind backlash has been a bit much.

Agree. To post that he is out of his mind for ripping off and then bashing other peoples' work is one thing .............

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 14, 2014 07:59 |  #96

OhLook wrote in post #17091988 (external link)
Wow. Even with the photos removed, the writer's descriptions leave no doubt about who the criticized photographer is.

The classic B&W images near the end have no credit lines. Did the poster have permission to reproduce these?

I believe those were by the guy who wrote the article.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,293 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 14, 2014 08:19 |  #97

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #17091915 (external link)
I've honestly noticed this from a lot of photographers who are "getting up there" in age.

Hey! I'm one of those getting up there in age. I started with film. I shoot digital now. I'm not a bitter complainer.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,628 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 14, 2014 08:56 |  #98

joedlh wrote in post #17095565 (external link)
Hey! I'm one of those getting up there in age. I started with film. I shoot digital now. I'm not a bitter complainer.

seriously. if the subject of the original post is getting up there in age, i must be a dinosaur. :D

despite the grumpy old man, stuck in his ways stereotype, the reality is that old people who are perceived this way were the same way when younger. There are plenty of folks that just don't get the word "compromise" at any age.

I don't think i have once said to a client anything along the lines of coming from the days of film. Here it might mean something, but is in no way indicative of talent or experience. Being in or around the industry for so long might change one's perspective, but it is up to the individual to use that additional perspective effectively and to their benefit. Not as an instrument to bash someone else's work.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 14, 2014 09:24 |  #99

This thread has become bashing the competition for bashing the competition. A wee bit of irony! What would Confucius say?

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 14, 2014 09:57 |  #100

New post today. My favorite part:

I touched on this in my own blog. I briefly used images that I found floating all over the net (some of which were not used in a flattering way, yet I don’t see her complaining to them about any copyright issues). But just the same I erred on the side of caution and removed the images that were allegedly protected.

http://picturetoburn.c​om/?p=1303 (external link)

All images are protected. Unless of course it is taken by a monkey

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,628 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 14, 2014 10:10 |  #101

madhatter04 wrote in post #17095679 (external link)
This thread has become bashing the competition for bashing the competition. A wee bit of irony! What would Confucius say?

certainly i see the irony. but context matters.

I was surprised, but just for a moment, to see that people had actually logged into google plus and facebook to add negative comments about this guy. That is a much more public and disconcerting way of expressing a criticism of someone than posting on a board filled with photographers.

anyway, here are a few googled Confucius quotes just for the hell of it,

"Look at the means which a man employs, consider his motives, observe his pleasures. A man simply cannot conceal himself!"

"To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it."

"Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change."

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."

"The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions."

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ImaginePhotography
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 14, 2014 10:38 |  #102

The one thing this guy clearly has NO understanding of is the difference between what Lisa does and the photos he posted to compare to her work. He posted environmental portraits and photojournalism/docume​ntary shots and used those to pick apart her creative portraits that can have as much or as little artistic license as the photographer wishes. In photojournalism, you are conveying the scene or event as it happened, and other than the slightest of adjustments, nothing should be done to the image. Lisa can paste woodland fairies, unicorns, or a giant ****ing pile of **** in her pictures, and none of it matters, because Lisa isn't documenting news, nor is she shooting environmental portraits. This guy is obviously not nearly as educated as he thinks he is.

www.imaginephotoaz.com (external link)

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 14, 2014 10:47 |  #103

Has this guy been nominated for "Photodouche of the Year" yet?

If not, I'd like to make a nomination...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 14, 2014 10:50 |  #104

This lovely human being has taken the extra step of leaving me a fake Yelp review under a fake name. I'm sure Yelp, in all it's fairness, will do nothing. http://www.yelp.com …loway-photography-kingman (external link)

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Aug 14, 2014 10:54 |  #105

Guess he doesn't realize you can't really control your 'legions'. What a vitriolic, angry, bitter individual. Sorry he has gotten you wrapped up in his extensive issues Lisa. :(

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

sponsored links

17,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
Criticizing the competition
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.