Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Criticizing the competition

ImaginePhotography
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 14, 2014 11:01 |  #106

LisaJH wrote in post #17095842 (external link)
This lovely human being has taken the extra step of leaving me a fake Yelp review under a fake name. I'm sure Yelp, in all it's fairness, will do nothing. http://www.yelp.com …loway-photography-kingman (external link)

I reported it, and it appears Yelp is going with it being fake because they have it in an area that doesn't factor into your rating, along with the retorts by others.

www.imaginephotoaz.com (external link)

sponsored links
LisaJH
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 14, 2014 11:09 |  #107

It's all good. He's a nobody and means nothing to me. The more he opens his proverbial mouth, the worse he makes himself look.

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 14, 2014 11:10 |  #108

Wow, he didn't even try to disguise himself. Who would put all that in a Yelp review, anyway?

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 14, 2014 11:11 |  #109

I am all for people being able to bash other people on their blog, in person and on forums. However when you put it on your business website (blog section I know, but still) it is as if your business is condemning another business. Couple that with the fake review it clearly crosses a line of personal opinion to trying to hurt another person's business.

It is like politics. If you can't win on your own merits and trustworthiness bash the other guy until he looks like satan.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,487 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 14, 2014 11:28 |  #110

archer1960 wrote in post #17095533 (external link)
I believe those were by the guy who wrote the article.

The ones I saw were definitely not his. Maybe he changed the display.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,020 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 14, 2014 11:41 |  #111

LisaJH wrote in post #17095872 (external link)
It's all good. He's a nobody and means nothing to me. The more he opens his proverbial mouth, the worse he makes himself look.

Yep.

Besides, your beautiful work speaks for itself, Lisa.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 14, 2014 11:43 |  #112

Very sad and pathetic and its too bad he has to lash out at others instead of dealing with his own personal issues. If he is so busy taking photos where does he find the time to create fake profiles and post fake reviews online?

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 14, 2014 12:09 |  #113

LisaJH wrote in post #17095842 (external link)
This lovely human being has taken the extra step of leaving me a fake Yelp review under a fake name. I'm sure Yelp, in all it's fairness, will do nothing. http://www.yelp.com …loway-photography-kingman (external link)

Even if Yelp doesn't take it down it sounds like a rant of someone who's a bit out to lunch...

Joel

sirquack
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 14, 2014 12:23 |  #114

I think it is funny that the fake yelp review tries to act like a family member used Lisa's services and somehow that should allow the pompous reviewer (who we all know who it really is) to blow hard about how "overworked" Lisa's images are.
It is laughable considering the amount of PP done on his images. None of them look remotely realistic as he seems to be railing on about Lisa's shots. And she is not even the one involved in the dust up anyway.
I do like how someone referenced politics because I definitely see more and more of this type of thing in politics. I never hear anymore what good a candidate is going to do for me as a voter. They are all about bashing their opponents for their shortcomings. I refuse to vote for any politician who can not clearly articulate what their position is on issues. Which makes it almost impossible to vote for anyone these days.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,020 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 14, 2014 12:25 |  #115

joeblack2022 wrote in post #17095955 (external link)
Even if Yelp doesn't take it down it sounds like a rant of someone who's a bit out to lunch...

Agreed. The sad thing is that he doesn't seem to realise how he is digging himself in deeper with every word he writes, be it on his blog, be it on Yelp.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 14, 2014 12:33 |  #116

benji25 wrote in post #17095762 (external link)
New post today. My favorite part:

http://picturetoburn.c​om/?p=1303 (external link)

All images are protected. Unless of course it is taken by a monkey

Technically he could have put a little more effort into his presentation, and kept the photos posted under fair use.

But I do hope he gets the book thrown at him for removing copyright info, because that's just not cool.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Gallery: 133 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 14, 2014 12:35 |  #117

What I'm noticing, more than anything, is how people are taking issue with him criticizing his competition by being, well, critical of him.

Why waste the time?

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

moose10101
registered smartass
1,659 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 14, 2014 12:36 |  #118

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #17091915 (external link)
Wow. I've honestly noticed this from a lot of photographers who are "getting up there" in age. They think that because we don't have our own dark rooms and spend hours developing our film we have no place in the business. We are "craigslist", or "instagram" photographers. To me, these type of people no longer have a place in the business, because they are unwilling to change and adapt to where the business is at. This specific example of criticism seems especially unnecessary, since these photographers are two completely different genres. One appears to be a street and still life photographer, and the other is a family and newborn photographer (rated best in Las Vegas by CBS News I might add, hardly CL material). This would be like bluegrass guitar player criticizing Jimmy hendrix for using pedals that changed the stock sound of his guitar.

I see this a lot on an "analog-only" site I visit (with less frequency as time goes by). Digital photography "has no soul"; digital photographers are lazy; digital photographers are "digi-snappers"; etc.

It's sad when someone feels the need to attack what other people do because their way of doing things is going away or becoming less prevalent. Better to use each for what it does best, instead of being bitter about it.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2014 12:36 |  #119

LisaJH wrote in post #17095872 (external link)

Hopefully you're just playing it cool here, while your attorney prepares a case against him for stripping your branding marks and displaying your images without a license.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Gallery: 133 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 14, 2014 12:38 |  #120

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17093437 (external link)
Just dumb. It doesn't really matter if the person moaning is correct or not. The very act of bad mouthing someone puts people off. It is just a stupid thing to do when you are in business.

I don't see why being "in business" should be the barometer.

People tear down others when they, themselves, are lacking. Being "in business" doesn't make it any more or less palatable.

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

sponsored links

17,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Criticizing the competition
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.