Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Request to work for free

jrmy
475 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 14, 2014 17:08 |  #1

I've recently received a request by a friend to shoot his upcoming Kickstarter campaign. He wants product and lifestyle shots and has offered "catering and booze" as "payment." I'm not sure what their budget is for their campaign but I do know they're sinking money into it.

Frankly, I'm insulted. I don't need the money, but I don't want to work for free. I'm a set photographer primarily and do some portraiture on the side. I normally do portrait work for friends on the cheap, but never free.

Do I risk damaging the relationship or suck it up and help a friend out?

Check out my site (external link), as well as my gear and feedback.
5D Mark III | 16-35 II | 24-105 | 50 1.8 II | 70-200 2.8 IS II

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 14, 2014 17:12 |  #2

Do you want/need to go? maybe a session (paying gig) got offered and you need the money?

What he is asking for takes quite a bit of skill, and is worthy of payment.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

kiapolo
869 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 14, 2014 17:43 |  #3

If it's a kickstarter campaign, do you want what ever product or service he is trying to raise funds for? Why not bargain in exchange for your services for a an amount of the product or service they are offering should their kickstarter campaign be successful? Assuming you're interested in what ever product/service they are going to be promoting/offering.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,188 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 14, 2014 17:54 |  #4

I suppose the question is are the other suppliers & creative being paid for their services i.e. is the catering & booze being supplied free? If there are people in the shots is there a MUA and is s/he being paid.

If the answer is yes to any of those then why not pay you??? He must know you are pro photographer (i.e. you earn a living from it) so what sort of favour is he doing you not to pay you "the rate"???

Out of interest what is his day job...............some​thing you could make use of for "free". Perhaps a barter arrangement it worth your while???

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 14, 2014 17:56 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

jrmy wrote in post #17096584 (external link)

Someone who takes advantage of a friend isn't one.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 14, 2014 17:59 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #6

Do it with a contract stating that if the project is funded, you'll receive $xxx.xx for your work.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 14, 2014 19:43 |  #7

jrmy wrote in post #17096584 (external link)
I've recently received a request by a friend to shoot his upcoming Kickstarter campaign. He wants product and lifestyle shots and has offered "catering and booze" as "payment." I'm not sure what their budget is for their campaign but I do know they're sinking money into it.

Frankly, I'm insulted. I don't need the money, but I don't want to work for free. I'm a set photographer primarily and do some portraiture on the side. I normally do portrait work for friends on the cheap, but never free.

Do it for free if you want to (I wouldn't), but I wouldn't worry about damaging the relationship. If he's the kind of person who'll ruin a relationship because you won't work for free, then you have to consider if it's really a relationship worth having.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 14, 2014 19:54 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #8

...leave your ego at the door. Offering catering and booze is a more than acceptable means of barter. If it was a mate, I'd take it in a heartbeat. They don't call me Big Mark for nothing. If his terms are acceptable to you then take the job. If they aren't, renegotiate. If you can't settle on terms, then turn him down.

This is business. His intent isn't to insult you. He needs photography. If his terms aren't acceptable to you, then simply politely decline.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 14, 2014 20:51 |  #9

Unless you can come to a real compensation agreement, just say no. I also try to be flexible for young businesses, but you work has value and must be compensated. You could defer compensation to a later date, get a bonus if funding is successful, or work out a trade of services or goods. I only agree to differ or trade up to 50% of my fees. The facts are that most young or small businesses fail, so be very careful negotiating.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Car2n
490 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2014 21:09 |  #10

In 2005, Mr. Choe was invited to paint murals on the walls of Facebook's first offices in Palo Alto, Calif., by Sean Parker, then Facebook's president. As pay, Mr. Parker offered Mr. Choe a choice between cash in the "thousands of dollars," according to several people who know Mr. Choe, or stock then worth about the same.

Mr. Choe, who has said that at the time that he thought the idea of Facebook was "ridiculous and pointless," nevertheless chose the stock.

Many "advisers" to the company at that time, which is how Mr. Choe would have been classified, would have received about 0.1 to 0.25 percent of the company, according to a former Facebook employee. That may sound like a paltry amount, but a stake that size is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, based on a market value of $100 billion. Mr. Choe's payment is valued at roughly $200 million, according to a number of people who know Mr. Choe and Facebook executives.

Canon 1D3 / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 17-40mm 4.0L / 50mm 1.4 / 580EXII / Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 / PixmaPro 9000ii / StylusPro 3800

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 14, 2014 21:25 |  #11

Car2n wrote in post #17096948 (external link)
In 2005, Mr. Choe was invited to paint murals on the walls of Facebook's first offices in Palo Alto, Calif., by Sean Parker, then Facebook's president. As pay, Mr. Parker offered Mr. Choe a choice between cash in the "thousands of dollars," according to several people who know Mr. Choe, or stock then worth about the same.

Mr. Choe, who has said that at the time that he thought the idea of Facebook was "ridiculous and pointless," nevertheless chose the stock.

Many "advisers" to the company at that time, which is how Mr. Choe would have been classified, would have received about 0.1 to 0.25 percent of the company, according to a former Facebook employee. That may sound like a paltry amount, but a stake that size is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, based on a market value of $100 billion. Mr. Choe's payment is valued at roughly $200 million, according to a number of people who know Mr. Choe and Facebook executives.

Its a good story, but hardly representative of the majority of stock offer trades. Had Choe painted his murals at WebVan, Pets.com, or eToys, then the story would not have a happy ending.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,360 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 14, 2014 22:58 |  #12

jecottrell wrote in post #17096686 (external link)
Do it with a contract stating that if the project is funded, you'll receive $xxx.xx for your work.

This is the only way that I would participate.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 14, 2014 23:12 |  #13

sspellman wrote in post #17096982 (external link)
Its a good story, but hardly representative of the majority of stock offer trades. Had Choe painted his murals at WebVan, Pets.com, or eToys, then the story would not have a happy ending.

It's also sort of irrelevant since jrmy wasn't offered stock. He was offered catering and booze.

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 15, 2014 07:55 |  #14

banquetbear wrote in post #17096848 (external link)
...leave your ego at the door. Offering catering and booze is a more than acceptable means of barter. If it was a mate, I'd take it in a heartbeat. They don't call me Big Mark for nothing. If his terms are acceptable to you then take the job. If they aren't, renegotiate. If you can't settle on terms, then turn him down.

This is business. His intent isn't to insult you. He needs photography. If his terms aren't acceptable to you, then simply politely decline.

Exactly.

Man photographers really are a precious bunch...or perhaps hopeless negotiators who can't see past dollars and cents.

I'm on the same page as you Mark...maybe the beer economy is stronger in our part of the world?

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

Sparrow19
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 15, 2014 08:53 |  #15

For me, it would depend on how long he wanted me there working, and how involved you needed to be. If it was just a couple hours casually taking pictures, then I'd do it and enjoy the evening.

On the other hand, if its several hours, having to set up everything and basically be an event planner, then I'd request to be paid, or turn it down.

http://www.wesatkinson​photography.com (external link)
Canon 5D IV, 6D
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 2.8 VC
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

sponsored links

4,048 views & 0 likes for this thread
Request to work for free
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.