Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ART INSTITUTE

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 14, 2014 16:54 |  #16

I studied graphic design in college at a state university. I was able to get financial aid, participate in work/study, and graduated almost debt-free and transitioned right into a full time gig. Some friends went to AI for their graphic design studies and exited with good production skills, but lacked conceptual abilities and graduated with $75k in student loan debt. Try looking at some state university programs, if you can! I'd highly recommend that route!

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,412 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 14, 2014 16:54 |  #17

they teach you all about photography, such as fashion, composition, lighting, photojournalism, business law, business management, and much more in different genres. Basically everything you need to do it professionally.

If this is true then this would have value. It is up to you to decide if this value is worth what they are charging. You could pursue some free or less expensive options, as mentioned above, first. This might help you decide it The AI is a good value.

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 14, 2014 21:25 |  #18

ACESFULL82 wrote in post #17096203 (external link)
....He said he took out 90k in financial aid and would only repay about 30K. .....

How is that possible?

I'd be very very skeptical of any for-profit school. My step-son went to one where they made all the usual promises about helping him find a job when he gets out blah blah blah. All lies, now he's saddled with a ton of debt and no job in the field he wanted. You can usually get a better education by finding the right public college or junior college and come out the other end with a hell of a lot less debt.

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 14, 2014 23:11 |  #19

Thanks for chiming in everybody! I appreciate the advice and real world experiences!! Been looking over for-profit schools, apparently there's been more than a few complaints over the last few years about them. I've heard all the success cases but haven't yet been able to get answer on their success rate. Definitely gonna check into some community colleges and see what they offer.

@groundloop. Hell if I know! I haven't gone over the whole financial aid and student loans, I don't know how it all works. Just going off of his word. But yeah that seems way to good to be true.

As far as I go I wanna learn about composition, lighting, subject, photoshop, Lightroom, image manipulation, among different types of photography. The classes they offer are really great and sound just like what in looking for, but not for 50K for an associates degree. I would like to be a landscape or sports photographer, or automotive. Wanna be a well rounded great photographer that puts out great work.

Canon crap and Canon lenses

PhotosGuy
75,910 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 14, 2014 23:42 |  #20

Your pathway to today

Lotsa' reading for you in the links in Post #33: Photography School (Schools/Degrees/Bills​/Aftermath = SCARY) Pro's?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

1000WordsPhotography
515 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 15, 2014 01:05 |  #21

My two cents, get a business degree it gives you options. For most photographers it's not an ability to take pictures that gets in the way it's the lack of knowledge on how to run a business.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

michaelanthony
132 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 15, 2014 01:37 |  #22

Schooling can be beneficial to learn your basics, but like others have said, business education is more important especially if looking to do this full time freelance.

If looking to break into corporate with benefits, I personally have not seen formal education to be a necessity. I have worked as in house photographer for Hot Topic and Wet Seal and have no degree in photography. I was a psychology major but hated being in school and dropped out my junior year of college.

I have interviewed with Forever21 and BCBG and neither were concerned about a degree. They were more interested in my portfolio, my ability to create, and my salary requirements.

With so much competition out there now, I don't think it's worth getting that deep in debt without a backup plan.

My Stuff:
www.facebook.com/8x10p​roofs (external link)

nikanon
57 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 15, 2014 01:51 |  #23

i've always heard that its better to have a great portfolio than an actual degree. Like someone said above its probably better to get a degree in business and build your portfolio . just my 2 cents

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 15, 2014 08:58 |  #24

THANKS! Ill be reading stuff in there for a while! LIke you said lotsa usefull info.

1000WordsPhotography wrote in post #17097219 (external link)
My two cents, get a business degree it gives you options. For most photographers it's not an ability to take pictures that gets in the way it's the lack of knowledge on how to run a business.

michaelanthony wrote in post #17097237 (external link)
Schooling can be beneficial to learn your basics, but like others have said, business education is more important especially if looking to do this full time freelance.

If looking to break into corporate with benefits, I personally have not seen formal education to be a necessity. I have worked as in house photographer for Hot Topic and Wet Seal and have no degree in photography. I was a psychology major but hated being in school and dropped out my junior year of college.

I have interviewed with Forever21 and BCBG and neither were concerned about a degree. They were more interested in my portfolio, my ability to create, and my salary requirements.

With so much competition out there now, I don't think it's worth getting that deep in debt without a backup plan.

nikanon wrote in post #17097248 (external link)
i've always heard that its better to have a great portfolio than an actual degree. Like someone said above its probably better to get a degree in business and build your portfolio . just my 2 cents

I see your point on the business degree. Thanks for the advice!

Whats a good photshop and lightroom class? Is there one online that anybody would recomend?

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 15, 2014 09:19 |  #25

ACESFULL82 wrote in post #17097105 (external link)
I would like to be a landscape or sports photographer, or automotive. Wanna be a well rounded great photographer that puts out great work.

Best thing you can do is just keep practicing. Learn all you can online. Being a landscape photographer is incredibly difficult to make a career of. There just isn't that many that will make it.

You need to focus on a specific genre. People who do landscape/sports/autom​otive photography - you're marketing to very different groups.

This is why you see portrait photographers who do Family/Baby/Wedding - it's very closely related, even though very different types of photography. From a marketing standpoint, you are marketing to the same people. People whom you do a wedding for are likely to need family and baby photography in the future and will likely remember you if you did a good job. Some photographers focus purely on Senior photography. Some only do weddings and that's it. But you don't typically see a Wedding/Realty photographer.

Gear List

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 15, 2014 09:25 |  #26

You are better off wiping your ass with a thousand dollars than taking out 90k in loans to go to the Art Institute.

Pro Tip: If the Federal Government is suing a school for BILLIONS of dollars, don't attend there.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 15, 2014 09:39 |  #27

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #17097744 (external link)
You are better off wiping your ass with a thousand dollars than taking out 90k in loans to go to the Art Institute.

Pro Tip: If the Federal Government is suing a school for BILLIONS of dollars, don't attend there.

LOL. I read about the whistleblower claims and the lawsuits going on there. Yeah not a good sign.

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Aug 15, 2014 09:39 |  #28

It's not very tactful, but Thomas Campbell's post is spot on, at least IMHO.

Reference: http://petapixel.com …tes-for-11-billion-fraud/ (external link)

Never, ever trust the word of somebody telling you you'll take out $90K in loans and only have to pay back $30K. That is not an academic advisor. That is a salesperson trying to sell you on attending their school and saying whatever it takes to get you to sign on the dotted line. When you're done you'll have 90K in loans that you can't pay back and they don't give a rat's rear-end about you because you signed on, attended their mediocre school and have to pay them back no matter what. ...and hey, if you don't, whatever, they'll get it from the government.

I'd stay very far away from any for-profit education mill.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 15, 2014 09:40 |  #29

Numenorean wrote in post #17097735 (external link)
Best thing you can do is just keep practicing. Learn all you can online. Being a landscape photographer is incredibly difficult to make a career of. There just isn't that many that will make it.

You need to focus on a specific genre. People who do landscape/sports/autom​otive photography - you're marketing to very different groups.

This is why you see portrait photographers who do Family/Baby/Wedding - it's very closely related, even though very different types of photography. From a marketing standpoint, you are marketing to the same people. People whom you do a wedding for are likely to need family and baby photography in the future and will likely remember you if you did a good job. Some photographers focus purely on Senior photography. Some only do weddings and that's it. But you don't typically see a Wedding/Realty photographer.

Yeah i see your point. Need to find my niche and do my best at it i guess. No institute or college is gonna do that for me.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 15, 2014 09:58 |  #30

ACESFULL82 wrote in post #17097777 (external link)
Yeah i see your point. Need to find my niche and do my best at it i guess. No institute or college is gonna do that for me.

On the other hand, it can sure as hell help you to find your niche and get better at it. People say that a portfolio matters more than a degree, but if getting a degree doesn't make your portfolio better then that's probably your fault and not the school's (generally speaking of course, apparently people are saying that the Art Institute is one of those scam colleges). The point isn't for the college to "do that for you", the point is for it to give you better resources to do it for yourself.

sponsored links

5,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
ART INSTITUTE
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.