Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's wrong with this picture?

MadyGuzzz
188 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 14, 2014 09:36 |  #1

What do you see wrong with this picture? and how can I improve that?

What would you have done differently?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 14, 2014 10:45 |  #2

Ok, Put her on the other side of the frame - she is beautiful, get her to smile...love the colors

Diane

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 14, 2014 11:55 |  #3

As Diane has said, the issue here is composition.....do as Diane said OR have her turn the other way so that she faces INTO the shot. The background is quite nice and good DOF so no need to crop it out.
Personally, I would tone down the red lipstick and turn up the smile.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,007 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 14, 2014 11:59 |  #4

Not that I do portraits at all, but here are some opinions.

I would have left more space (background) above her head.

Skin tone is much darker on face and neck than below. Whether the difference is due to makeup or suntan, it's disconcerting. I also find her lipstick too bright; it distracts.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

electricme
472 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 14, 2014 14:17 |  #5

cameragal1 wrote in post #17095838 (external link)
Ok, Put her on the other side of the frame - she is beautiful, get her to smile...love the colors

Diane

^ All of the above and also the skin looks soft and the hair looks sharp. The Lipstick is a little distracting.

chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 14, 2014 21:17 |  #6

The lip stick works for me :) and the expression is also interesting.... if someone took a photo of me with that expression i would just look ridiculous so it's cool that she can pull it off.

Definitely agree with turning her shoulders so she's looking right to left in the photo. See how it could look like she's walking off and you've just caught her in the corner of the frame ? You want her to be moving into the picture. ( i know she's standing still but that's the impression you get from the composition)

Also it feels a bit flat, needs some omph. Try shifting the blacks and whites to create more intense and texture.. but don't go overboard :) hehe

That's just my opinion! looks good :)

PhotosGuy
75,879 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 14, 2014 23:01 |  #7

When the light is coming from as high as that light is, I'd bounce some fill light in to soften those bags under her eyes. Makeup might help, but her chin is a little dark, too.
And why didn't you shoot a vertical?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,932 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 15, 2014 01:09 |  #8

composition - yes - subject doesn't breath enough.

but for me the most noticable thing is amount of retouch and how this makes the whole face look flat.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

pelooyen
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2014 04:27 |  #9

+1 for all of the above

I am also wondering whether shooting a little higher and having her look up. Her expression with the fact she is looking a little downward, she is coming across haughty IMHO

cheers, Paul
---------------
Flickr (external link) | My Website (external link) | Like me on Facebook (external link)
6D | 5Dc | 17-40mm L | 28-135mm IS USM | 70-200L f4 | 100mm f2.8 macro USM | MPE65 | MT-24EX | 580EX | Kenko extension tubes | 1.4x TC
| couple of umbrellas and softbox and other lighting stuff

sirquack
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 15, 2014 11:52 |  #10

Here is my hobbyist opinion. Her skin looks TOO smooth. I don't know if you did any softening, but I personally like a little texture in the skin. Like this, it looks like there are NO details in the face. The lip color is not bad, but it draws the attention to the lips and I think her eyes are a better subject.
With this size I can't tell if her eyes are in focus for sure, that is where I would want it to be. I would definitely get a reflector or something to lighten the hard areas of her neck and chin area.
The next two things are completely subjective so ignore at your own discretion. With portraits I ALWAYS want some sort of catch light in the eye. It just gives the eyes some pizazz and depth. To me, no light in the eyes looks like the person is dead. Must my opinion though. The second thing is her cleavage just beginning to show in the image. Either show more, or crop/clone it out. I actually covered that section with my hand and I like it more. It just isn't enough so get rid of it. But again, completely subjective.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 19, 2014 17:31 |  #11

I think you need to have a higher perspective. Its like you are looking ever so slightly looking up at her which is not a flattering angle

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 21, 2014 17:34 |  #12

MadyGuzzz wrote in post #17095716 (external link)
What do you see wrong with this picture? and how can I improve that?

What would you have done differently?

Crop out that big tree trunk on the left.

It seems a bit soft.

I agree with the previous about her looking down. Also, is there a reason you cropped it right at the top of her cleavage vs a waist-up shot? She's not 12, so showing a bit of curves to me is appropriate here.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2014 08:30 |  #13

The camera was below her eyes so she is looking down. It's generally more appealing, the result, when the camera is at subject eye level or higher. And not having the subject's face square to the camera.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,446 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 23, 2014 09:53 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #14

This edit is just to demonstrate a different way to shoot this image. As already mentioned, I would have framed her so that she is looking 'into' the frame rather than out. The image also appears to be over exposed a little so you might apply a bit of negative Ec. The lighting is very flat so you might use a reflector to add some shadows/highlights to her face.

For post processing, I seperated the girl from the background and moved her to the left. Now that she is on a seperate layer, I darkened the background to make it less distracting. Using a seperate layer on 'color' blend mode, I tried to match the color of her face for her chest and arms. I also used the same technique to try and even out the color of her hair. I also tried to add a little modeling by adding some shadow to the right side of her face. Oh, I also tried to tone down the saturation of her lipstick so it would match the luminance of the rest of her face too. Finally, I lowered the vibrance of the overall image just a little.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 04, 2014 10:59 |  #15

Go Navydoc - great edit!

Diane

sponsored links

2,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's wrong with this picture?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.