Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 11:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

so, about backdrops ;)

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 12, 2014 11:13 |  #1

Hey. Still got questions one one subject before I let y'all in peace for a while. What should I look for when getting backdrops? What kind of fabric/paper's good? Should you get any particular kind of stand to hold the backdrop instead of others?

For whatever comes out of this discussion, I'm buying my stuff from here (external link), and here (external link).

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2014 11:24 |  #2

What are you shooting? Products, babies, business executives, rock stars?

Cheap muslin or fabric backdrops are almost worthless.

You can get a LOT of use out of a roll of white seamless paper. Get as wide as you can, for the space you have available. 53" is fine for 3/4" shots of a single person or maybe two people close together. You'll need something wider for groups.

Gray paper is also nice; it's harder to blow it out to pure white, but it's easier to color it with gels or to make it drop to clipped black.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Maverique
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 12, 2014 11:32 |  #3

People. Either full body shots or head and shoulders or whatever, it has to fit one or more people. I'd like to start doing portraits of local bands as well, as I have a few already interested. So that means groups of people. I was thinking of going for a white and a black backdrop for starters, but if you say gray is smarter, I'll have to consider it.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 12, 2014 11:58 |  #4

I started with Muslin, the black was easy to use as the I clipped everything so you did not see any imperfections. The white was kinda a pain to blow out and the feet area was always troublesum. I picked up two 4x8 sheets of white tileboard and use it as the floor and it has helped tons.

However I did just pick up two 9' rolls of seamless paper, one white and one black. I have yet to shoot on them but am very excited to.

Maverique
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:39 |  #5

nathancarter wrote in post #17091213 (external link)
What are you shooting? Products, babies, business executives, rock stars?

Cheap muslin or fabric backdrops are almost worthless.

You can get a LOT of use out of a roll of white seamless paper. Get as wide as you can, for the space you have available. 53" is fine for 3/4" shots of a single person or maybe two people close together. You'll need something wider for groups.

Gray paper is also nice; it's harder to blow it out to pure white, but it's easier to color it with gels or to make it drop to clipped black.

I've got a space of about 4m wide so it's definitely not huge but you can fit a small group there. So if paper is fine, what about the stands? Any particular recommendation? I was looking at this one here (external link) which could in theory last me even after I got a larger space (which might not be that far away)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 12, 2014 17:44 |  #6

check out silverlake backdrops. they are pretty sweet

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:49 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Paper.

White & neutral grey. Both can be turned into black.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Maverique
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 13, 2014 07:38 |  #8

I'm thinking of getting a roll of white paper and one of grey then, and it's down to either this one (external link) or this one here (external link), with a Walimex stand.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 15, 2014 19:20 |  #9

Or use chromakey green then you can use any digital pic as a background.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2014 19:34 |  #10

Maverique wrote in post #17093069 (external link)
I'm thinking of getting a roll of white paper and one of grey then, and it's down to either this one (external link) or this one here (external link), with a Walimex stand.

White and gray give you lots of options. If your studio is deep enough you can get the gray to go black by underexposing it and not allowing spill. paper is simple, less wrinkles, but not very portable.

JTParretti
37 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 16, 2014 08:22 |  #11

I bought a cheap backdrop set up with three continuous lights on ebay but did not pay attention to the backdrop sizes.
It came with 10x 5 black, white and chroma key.
Only enough to do one person, so on a low budget I was in Menard's one day and saw a painters drop cloth. It was large enough to have people stand on it but heavy as well, the color is off white and I plan on dying it later. So far pretty good results.
I will add a couple of images if I can....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D and 6D, Nifty Fifty, Vintage (M-42)135 mm F2.8 prime adapted to EOS mount, Canon 85mm F1.8, 40mm 2.8,
EF 28-80mm, canon 70-210mm 3.5-4.5,canon 380EX, (2) 430 EX's and .....old Canon Rebel 1100D kit lens EFS 18-55mm, EFS 55-250mm, (to be continued)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 16, 2014 10:57 |  #12

JTParretti wrote in post #17099640 (external link)
I will add a couple of images if I can....

JT, you need to get your subjects at least six feet in front of the background AND you need to add a light (or lights) to illuminate the background separately from the subjects. Properly placed, the background lighting will also make the wrinkles disappear. If the background in your photo with the subjects were lit as it is in the background-only photo, there would be a significant improvement.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 17, 2014 21:30 |  #13

I have shot both muslin and seamless and I have to say....seamless paper is the way to go! It is so nice to not have to clone out wrinkles!!

Canon 5D mk IV, Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 18, 2014 07:38 |  #14

Maverique wrote in post #17093069 (external link)

knowing that you only have a couple of lights, you might have a hard time pushing grey to white. So, IF you want the option of white, you need white. I have white and medium grey paper.

as far as the stand is concerned, i almost bought a telescoping/collapsibl​e cross bar before realizing that if i was going to be traveling anywhere i would have to have a long roll of paper with me anyway, so a collapsible crossbar really wouldn't provide a benefit. It seems the benefit from a collapsible crossbar only comes when using fabric backdrops. I made a crossbar from EMT (lightweight galvanized metal pole that electricians run copper wire through underground) and two EMT angles. I put it on regular light stands. I'll try to post a pic in a bit.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

pip57
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 19, 2014 06:55 |  #15

my persnoal pref is black velvit as it dose not reflect light.....paul

sponsored links

2,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
so, about backdrops ;)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.