Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me get out of my funk!

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,679 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 15, 2014 21:02 |  #1

I used to be much more active in this section and photography in general. Then life got in the way - I think. I honestly haven't picked up my camera in some time and just taken pictures. I definitely know I still enjoy it and the resulting photos I get to remember, but I am just not taking the photos anymore.

Everyone surely goes through a similar funk, so how do you get over it?

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,316 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2014 21:36 |  #2

Challenge yourself to do a 365 day or perhaps a 52 week challenge if thats more realistic for you. Make sure you announce it on your facebook page or some place where you have others watching, so you create a certain external pressure to follow through. Once you actually start creating photos you'll start seeing photographically again. Its a habit and like all habits it comes in waves.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 15, 2014 22:10 |  #3

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #17099041 (external link)
I used to be much more active in this section and photography in general. Then life got in the way - I think. I honestly haven't picked up my camera in some time and just taken pictures. I definitely know I still enjoy it and the resulting photos I get to remember, but I am just not taking the photos anymore.

When I get tired of auto racing, then it's time for football. When I'm tired of football, then it's time to go indoors for basketball. When I get tired of basketball, it's time to head outdoors for baseball. When I get tired of baseball, then it's time for festivals and parades.

Then there are car shows, county fairs, fandom conventions and costumers, hockey, performance pulls and even random sandhill cranes crossing the road.

If you live inside yourself and aren't interested in the outside world, you'll be afflicted by "funks." But if you're attracted to what happens outside you, there's a constantly changing world of visually fascinating events and attractions.

Not everyone is going to be interested in the challenge of pursuing life's compelling sights. Different people have different needs, and if you're not compelled to chase images, there's nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps it's time to sell the equipment and to search for something else to do.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 15, 2014 22:46 |  #4

a project. Dive into macro of only things you can find in your kitchen, go shoot only red things, try something you've never done before, join a group on meetup.com, things like that. Everybody gets into this, there are times where I don't take a photo for weeks, not even with my phone, just other things on my mind. And then I end up with way too many from a meetup or a hike etc :-)

It's a hobby (I presume), nothing wrong with putting a hobby aside for a while or a while longer. It'll come back.

I tend to drift between music, photography, cooking, painting and movies, and usually one of these taking over for a while, one of the others lurking, ready to pounce.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2014 22:52 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #5

Don't sell your equipment! If you get rid of it, you will suddenly find yourself wanting it.

Instead, take the batteries out of it and put it on a closet shelf. Then pursue other hobbies, do volunteer work, or whatever floats your boat.

In a few months, or perhaps a year or two, you'll find yourself missing photography, and your gear will be silently and patiently waiting for you.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 16, 2014 02:15 |  #6

Not sure if this is gonna work for anyone else, but I personally just try to see it as my job. Doesn't matter if I'm making a single penny off of it. I'm an artist/photographer. Once I stop being wishy-washy about it and accept that I am indeed an artist/photographer, then creating work is my job. I sometimes get in a "funk" in my "real" job, but I'm still expected to perform, and this is no different. I don't get to quit a "real" job just because I got in a funk, and the same applies here. If I get to quit photography just because I'm in a funk, then it was always just a hobby. And if it was just a hobby for me, then I shouldn't feel guilty for giving it up.

So I guess my advice to you is to just figure out why you do this. Is this photography thing just a hobby, something you do because you like it? If so, just do what you like. People drop hobbies all the time without feeling guilty, so why feel guilty about this? If you stopped enjoying it or you're too emotionally strained to do it, then okay. Nothing wrong with simply not doing it any more. But if this is WORK, if this is your JOB, then you just need to keep on doing it. If you're gonna own the title of "artist/photographer", then you need to deliver results. That's your job. And like most jobs, you do it even when you are in a funk because your job is to deliver content. That's not to say that you need to be working all the time, even most "real" jobs are legally required to provide a certain amount of time off. So yeah...take a little bit of time off if you need to. But if you're gonna keep being an artist/photographer, eventually you're gonna have to start producing work even if you don't feel like it. Because that's your job.

Also, I know that people handle adversity in different ways. Some people simply cannot work "when life gets in the way", and that is what it is. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just how they operate. Other people do their BEST work when "life gets in the way". But don't disregard the potential for turning a negative into a small positive. When life gets in the way, that's uncomfortable as hell. Sometimes that's NEW as hell. It's painful and unexpected and uncomfortable, and sometimes what photographers and artists need to do is to deal with what isn't comfortable. When pain and tragedy happen, a totally viable option is often to tap into that pain and tragedy in order to deliver new work. Not saying that you should do that, I don't know. I'm just saying that sometimes that's a viable option that's worth considering.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 17, 2014 05:32 |  #7

DC Fan wrote in post #17099113 (external link)
When I get tired of auto racing, then it's time for football. When I'm tired of football, then it's time to go indoors for basketball. When I get tired of basketball, it's time to head outdoors for baseball. When I get tired of baseball, then it's time for festivals and parades.

Then there are car shows, county fairs, fandom conventions and costumers, hockey, performance pulls and even random sandhill cranes crossing the road.

Perhaps it's time to sell the equipment and to search for something else to do.

I agree
things happen every week (or day)
if you don't want to photograph it then maybe it is time to get out of the photography hobby

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 17, 2014 07:18 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #8

i keep my camera in the bag ready to go, and will often put it on the floor so i have to walk around it to get out of my home office. Even then it is just like anything else, you have to schedule time to do it. If it's not important enough to be on your schedule, maybe it's time to downsize to a smaller camera and put those funds to use elsewhere.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 11:02 |  #9

Clean Gene wrote in post #17099343 (external link)
Not sure if this is gonna work for anyone else, but I personally just try to see it as my job. Doesn't matter if I'm making a single penny off of it. I'm an artist/photographer. Once I stop being wishy-washy about it and accept that I am indeed an artist/photographer, then creating work is my job. I sometimes get in a "funk" in my "real" job, but I'm still expected to perform, and this is no different. I don't get to quit a "real" job just because I got in a funk, and the same applies here. If I get to quit photography just because I'm in a funk, then it was always just a hobby. And if it was just a hobby for me, then I shouldn't feel guilty for giving it up.

So I guess my advice to you is to just figure out why you do this. Is this photography thing just a hobby, something you do because you like it? If so, just do what you like. People drop hobbies all the time without feeling guilty, so why feel guilty about this? If you stopped enjoying it or you're too emotionally strained to do it, then okay. Nothing wrong with simply not doing it any more. But if this is WORK, if this is your JOB, then you just need to keep on doing it. If you're gonna own the title of "artist/photographer", then you need to deliver results. That's your job. And like most jobs, you do it even when you are in a funk because your job is to deliver content. That's not to say that you need to be working all the time, even most "real" jobs are legally required to provide a certain amount of time off. So yeah...take a little bit of time off if you need to. But if you're gonna keep being an artist/photographer, eventually you're gonna have to start producing work even if you don't feel like it. Because that's your job.

Also, I know that people handle adversity in different ways. Some people simply cannot work "when life gets in the way", and that is what it is. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just how they operate. Other people do their BEST work when "life gets in the way". But don't disregard the potential for turning a negative into a small positive. When life gets in the way, that's uncomfortable as hell. Sometimes that's NEW as hell. It's painful and unexpected and uncomfortable, and sometimes what photographers and artists need to do is to deal with what isn't comfortable. When pain and tragedy happen, a totally viable option is often to tap into that pain and tragedy in order to deliver new work. Not saying that you should do that, I don't know. I'm just saying that sometimes that's a viable option that's worth considering.

funny, I do the exact opposite, but photography is my job, it's how I feed my family.
If I'm in a funk, I need to relax, and just have fun with my camera.
Recently I went on a photo walk with a bunch of other Leica owners, it was great fun, no time limit, no expectations, just walking around looking for cool light, interesting people, and just taking pictures of stuff.
I have a personal project too, which is forcing me to get off my ass and go out and shoot too.
But again, there is no expectations, just going for a walk with a camera, one lens, and a bag containing a bottle of water, and a rain jacket, going to see if I can find a little bit of paradise to sit in, relax and capture a slice of time from.

Here's a few frames from the project (actually two of the first three spots I shot once the project started, there is a few others before it became a project with a proper theme)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …/BENC7497_zpse6​63f118.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …/BENC8871_zps41​85c165.jpg (external link)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 17, 2014 11:39 |  #10

this is an interesting discussion. I am a hobbiest too. My day job takes up 13-15 hours per day and I too have very little time for photography with the rest of my regular responsibilities. In that I had to become a bit creative. I have used many of the tricks above - and sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. There were two things which caused me to do more things - a challenge/request from one of my family members...and then I worked really hard to produce something; and some inspiration from a member of this community and to see if I could produce it. I have to say - that for me...a hobbiest - no officail training - and way too little time - sometimes being creative enough for my own liking takes a lot of effort.

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

PhotosGuy
75,907 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 17, 2014 13:45 |  #11

I'm stuck in a rut. Any ideas?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2014 13:48 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I'm officially on a photography sabbatical, which is going to end the next week, to be honest, I needed it, because it was doing my head in picking up a camera virtually everyday.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2014 17:28 |  #13

My solution was to take my daughter's old room when she moved out a couple months ago and turn it into a studio. Then I can leave all my gear setup and it should take less time to do anything. At least that's the hypothesis. Still painting. I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 20, 2014 07:32 |  #14

hes gone wrote in post #17101095 (external link)
=he's gone;17101095]i keep my camera in the bag ready to go, and will often put it on the floor so i have to walk around it to get out of my home office.

I like to keep my camera out on the desk where I'm aware of it and sometimes just pick it up and think of things to shoot. Sometimes, it helps to have a few random shots on the card for me to look at and think about improving that shot or shooting something else.

-mark

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,206 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2014 07:49 |  #15

Hobby photographer here too

+1 on the 52 week project.

Another thing I do is have other little projects going but without the restrictions of a photo a day or a photo a week i.e. have an idea of a series of photos you want to capture then capture them as you see them so there could be gaps for weeks or you might see something every day. When I got my 56mm Fuji lens (85mm equiv) I started "Project 56" which was 56 portraits with the 56mm. I have only managed 2 so far but its always at the back of my mind that I can add to that body of work when the situation arises (well the les is for sale now but you get the idea).

I see you have the 35 ART. You could challange yourself to photograph 35 random chained up bikes with the 35mm or 35 interesting looking people etc etc

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

sponsored links

1,841 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me get out of my funk!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.