Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 11:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eBay fraud!

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 11:18 |  #1

I got scammed and just received a refund from paypal.

eBay scammer id: refinnej143

Paypal scammer email: lkirby7656@aol.com (external link)

I did a buy it now and used PayPal, it seemed fishy after the whole
Process started. Seller had good ratings and good communication before purchase. They provided a fake tracking number after funds cleared and I called paypal right away.

PayPal was actually pretty solid on this one, took 1 day and they had the money in my account.

Scammer was exceptionally deceptive obviously pretending to be 2 different people (one on eBay and one on PayPal).

Lesson learned if it's too good to be true it likely is.

Even though PayPal did well it was pretty stressful having to deal with getting money back on a complete fraud transaction. There is always a small chance that the seller can win these disputes which is why I will likely never use ebay for anything over 100$ ever again.

Stuff

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 17, 2014 11:24 |  #2

I too only use EBay for purchading inexprnsive items.

brucea
588 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Aug 17, 2014 11:44 |  #3

shocking

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2014 11:48 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

What did you buy? Did you pay $1k for a 5dIII or something else??? :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mikeassk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 11:52 |  #5

I bought a 500mm f4 is II for 6350$

It looked too good to be true but the communications as solid and I figured it could be an estate sale or something like that.

I took a chance and gambled in hopes that PayPal protection would cover me and they did.
In retrospect it was not worth it I would not behave like that agin but at the time it looked solid and I believed the deal was real.

PayPal was extremely helpful and efficient, open and closed case.

Stuff

mikeassk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 11:55 |  #6

The scammer apparently sent a host of documentation to paypal to try and win the case, PayPal told me it was not even close, but it's crazy that they are so fierce with their scammmery.

Part of me wants to pursue a law suit toward the individuals involved.

It's crazy to think people can get away with a slap on the wrist when trying to steal thousands of dollars when people get thrown in jail for less.

Stuff

dchen99
860 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 17, 2014 12:42 |  #7

Thanks for the warning ahead.
Beside "too good to be true", what else prompted your suspicion? You said the seller had good reviews, that's something most people go after.

www.flashonstudio.com (external link)

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 17, 2014 12:50 |  #8

mikeassk wrote in post #17101494 (external link)
I bought a 500mm f4 is II for 6350$

dchen99 wrote in post #17101592 (external link)
Beside "too good to be true", what else prompted your suspicion? You said the seller had good reviews, that's something most people go after.

I think it's very important to look at which items the feedback is on, rather than just look at the feedback score as a whole.

This seller has 225 positive feedbacks, however, only 23 were received as a seller.

http://feedback.ebay.c​om …143&ftab=Feedba​ckAsSeller (external link)

Looking at the list, most items they listed were well under $100 and nothing photographic. Definitely a sign of a hacked account.

Also, a price 30% below the typical used price for the lens is another point of suspicion...

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2014 13:04 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17101607 (external link)
I think it's very important to look at which items the feedback is on, rather than just look at the feedback score as a whole.

This seller has 225 positive feedbacks, however, only 23 were received as a seller.

Looking at the list, most items they listed were well under $100 and nothing photographic. Definitely a sign of a hacked account.

Also, a price 30% below the typical used price for the lens is another point of suspicion...

The seller was inactive after 2010. In 2011, sold one item. And 2013, sold a $2 ring. :)

Facebook (external link)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 17, 2014 13:07 |  #10

i have only been buying under 200. items from e-bay just because of the risk factor! and i don't ever think i'll buy a camera or lens there,but its nice to hear you got your money back,would you risk doing it again !!

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2014 13:16 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

blanex1@netzero.com wrote in post #17101622 (external link)
i have only been buying under 200. items from e-bay just because of the risk factor! and i don't ever think i'll buy a camera or lens there,but its nice to hear you got your money back,would you risk doing it again !!

Really??? :) Well, you are overly cautious. I sold and bought plenty of cameras and lenses on Ebay. You just need to know that if the price is too good to be true, maybe it is. And you have to look and study the feedback. Is the seller a vendor? How active the seller is? What items they usually sell? And the photo quality of the items too. I just bought a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS Nikon from a Hong Kong vendor. $340 versus retail price over $500. The lens arrived to NYC within 3 days, from HK!!!! :) Brand new with only a Japanese warranty. Last week, I just bought a Nikon D300 with only 5k shutter counts, $375. It should get here this Wednesday. One issue is that it has no charger. The seller has over 1k feedback with no negative ones. He is specialized in estate sales dealing with bike and camera gear.

Facebook (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,333 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 17, 2014 13:21 |  #12

i bought some expensive things off of ebay...nothings ever happened...and in the large majority of instances when there is a scam, ebay and paypal take care of it...so i really think there are other things to worry about...yeah don't bid on things that look like a scam, and you'll save yourself any headaches

i recently bought a backpack, that i was pretty sure was a scam, shipping from china...received an email from ebay saying that they had removed the item, and if i had already paid, not to worry about it...so i'm not sure if something is going to be coming or not...but they also said if i had any problems they would be solved right away...so i'm giving the seller a couple weeks to see if i i get the backpack.

ebay's got plenty of good deals though, i'd say more deals than scams

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mikeassk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 14:31 |  #13

dchen99 wrote in post #17101592 (external link)

Well when they sent a bogus tracking number I asked what was up and got a response that was total bs. They said it was an accident and they would ship on Monday but I knew it was a ploy to buy time to get the money out of the likely hacked paypal account because PayPal and eBay said that now that a tracking number has been submitted it was up to me to prove I had not received a package. It was pretty easy because ups said the package to that tracking number had been left at the door of another address.

I am not quite sure how the scammer was intending on getting away with this. In all likelihood they may try this so many times and have the occasional computer novice or elderly person that gets frustrated with the process and gives up perhaps. It took hours (4-5) of phone calls with paypal to get my case closed as efficiently as they did.

Pay pal told me they had submitted supporting documents that would enable them to win the case.

Stuff

mikeassk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 14:39 |  #14

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17101607 (external link)

Yes you are right about all of that.

I did a buy it now on my phone while driving home from a shoot.

When I got home I looked closer on the computer and I will admit it looked super fishy so I ebay messaged the seller and asked if everything was ok and that I was going to pay after I got confirmation that it was legit. Communication was solid and they even talked about the lens. They appeared educated. I then called paypal and told them I was going to pay for this item but had suspicions that it was a scam, they told me I was 100% covered no matter what, they even put me on hold to check the listing.

At that point I paid, thought I was going to get a good deal. I watched the payment clear got the bogus tracking number and immediately opened the case.

PayPal did good on their word, the money is now transferring back into my bank account (Sunday) after clearing payment on Thursday. That's pretty amazing, especially since I have heard so much negative banter about paypal.

One thing that is interesting is that I learned through research how troubling it must be as a seller. Not just in fraud cases but in cases with unhappy buyers. Paypal seems to just side with the buyer on most occasions. I am afraid to sell through paypal after all I have read.

Stuff

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2014 16:06 as a reply to  @ mikeassk's post |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

And I just sold my 30D for $160 shipped on Ebay. I was trying to sell it here but someone was generous enough to offer me $100!!! Hahahaha....

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,213 views & 0 likes for this thread
eBay fraud!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.