Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 10:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Strap

tammy1999
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 17, 2014 10:39 |  #1

You guys really rocked on helping me decide my next lens and so far, I love it.

Now on to my next purchase. A strap.

Of course I have the strap that came with my Rebel T3, but I hate it. It really rubs my neck.

Anyway, any other suggestions for a strap. Something that works over the shoulder and not around the neck. And I have also noticed that I don't see clips anymore to clip the strap the camera. You have to slide in the strap now.

Tammy

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,799 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 17, 2014 10:44 |  #2

The over the shoulder straps normally have a fastener that screws into the bottom tripod hole of the camera. It can be a bit of a pain to have to unscrew to then put the camera on the tripod, but then you're also spending time setting up the tripod. I have a Black Rapid strap, and find it more comfortable and convenient then a neck strap. I don't feel as much weight, and you can have a quickdraw type motion when wanting to take a shot:)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 17, 2014 10:57 |  #3

The UpStraps at http://www.upstrap-pro.com …era-straps-full-list.html (external link) are often a choice of pros (if you ask). Because they are using gripped full frame they often use the heavy duty version with Kevlar web but the medium (capacity 2-5 pounds) works well with my 60D. These straps attach to the normal strap attachment point on the camera body.

Some people think these straps too grippy and yes they can stick to a silk shirt or blouse or an open mesh fabric.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 11:11 |  #4

You could try a spiderholster, and get the weight off your shoulders/neck completely.
I love mine !

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

RandyAC
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 17, 2014 11:35 |  #5

davesrose wrote in post #17101370 (external link)
The over the shoulder straps normally have a fastener that screws into the bottom tripod hole of the camera. It can be a bit of a pain to have to unscrew to then put the camera on the tripod, but then you're also spending time setting up the tripod. I have a Black Rapid strap, and find it more comfortable and convenient then a neck strap. I don't feel as much weight, and you can have a quickdraw type motion when wanting to take a shot:)

I like the Black Rapid strap. To simplify moving from strap to tripod (as well as just making it easier to remove the strap) I use a RRS plate on the camera, and a RRS clamp on the strap.
http://www.reallyright​stuff.com …mp-with-strap-bosses.html (external link)
A bit pricey, but it works great.
Also comes in handy when switching lenses from a short focal length where the strap is on the camera body to a telephoto where the strap is on the lens.

chubbyone
661 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 17, 2014 11:38 |  #6

I use a luma cinch for everyday stuff, and a spider holster for events/shoots.

Love both.

6D | EF 35 f2 IS | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 135 f2.0

gossamer88
"something else"
1,321 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 17, 2014 11:44 |  #7

I too hate the supplied strap. I bought this Crumpler (external link).

5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 100-400mm IS II | Sigma 150-600mm C
100mm 2.8 Macro | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22 USM | iPhone X

flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,357 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2014 12:15 as a reply to  @ gossamer88's post |  #8

I ended up going with Op/Tech for an across-the-chest strap. Got the Pro Strap with XL uni adaptor loops, and an extra pair of uni-loops. Also a bought a Cinch Plate from Luma Labs. I keep one pair of uni-loops on the attachment points of the camera, and another pair connected to the Cinch Plate should I decide to put that on my camera. The uni-loops are quick disconnects for when I want to change things up.

Whatever brand you decide upon, across-the-chest is soooo much more comfortable than a neck strap.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 17, 2014 13:20 |  #9

Op Tech Sling strap here works great .

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 17, 2014 14:28 |  #10

I use an Optech sling strap for when I want to carry the camera around my shoulder. Spider holster when I want to have my entire body free. :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 17, 2014 14:36 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #11

I use a OP/tech pro, works great. If you want just a shoulder type, look into black rapid. It would attach to the bottom of your camera, something like the black rapid rs-7.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,340 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 17, 2014 15:07 |  #12

tammy1999 wrote in post #17101356 (external link)
You guys really rocked on helping me decide my next lens and so far, I love it.

Now on to my next purchase. A strap.

Of course I have the strap that came with my Rebel T3, but I hate it. It really rubs my neck.

Anyway, any other suggestions for a strap. Something that works over the shoulder and not around the neck. And I have also noticed that I don't see clips anymore to clip the strap the camera. You have to slide in the strap now.

Heya,

This Joby (external link) is excellent and costs nothing compared to more expensive ones that do the same exact thing.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ross ­ H
118 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 17, 2014 15:16 |  #13

I have to add my vote for the OP/Tech Pro Loop strap: http://optechusa.com/s​traps/pro-strap.html (external link). Not that expensive and I've always received positive feedback from people who tried it based on my recommendation.

Nikon D750 - Samyang 12mm f/2.8, Nikon 105mm f/2 DC, Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Nikon 20mm f/2.8
Nikon F2A, Nikon F4s - Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D
Sony A7II, Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 17, 2014 15:27 |  #14

Gotta vote for my cinch. Mine loops into my tripod plate, and I never take the thing off. I tried several before getting my cinch.

You really cant beat the ability to tighten the camera to your body if you are using the over the shoulder strap while active. I can tighten the Cinch down, rotate the camera to my back, and pick up my daughter in about 5 seconds or less. The camera will stay behind me even with a 70-200 f/2.8 on it.

The Luma Loop is also coming back if you are interested.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

WilsonFlyer
698 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 17, 2014 19:37 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #15

I'm going to get fried for this but there's Black Rapids and there's everything else.

I'm sure some on here will say that it puts unnecessary strain on the tripod mount and it could break out but at the end of the day, if you ever use one, you will never... EVER go back to anything else, especially if you travel/tour with your DSLR.

I've dragged a 6D with a 70-200 2.8 IS all over WDW 3 times and while I generally hold the lens with my hand when I Can, I've never had a minute's problem. In the past, I've dragged a T2i and a 60D with the same strap for years. There is no going back once you go Black Rapids.

http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/curve (external link)

sponsored links

11,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.