Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 10:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Strap

sapelgas431
258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 17, 2014 19:45 |  #16

I've covered a few events with the stock strap and after a couple hours it would get really unconfortable.
Now I have this one and couldn't be happier - http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/cargo (external link)

6D | 1D3 | 1100D | 17-40 f/4L | 28-75 f/2.8 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4L
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 18, 2014 10:03 |  #17

I use the Op/Tech Pro straps. I can wear it either over the shoulder or around the neck quite comfortably, and it leaves my tripod mount free for a QR plate.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 18, 2014 10:18 |  #18

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #17102280 (external link)
I'm going to get fried for this but there's Black Rapids and there's everything else.

I'm sure some on here will say that it puts unnecessary strain on the tripod mount and it could break out but at the end of the day, if you ever use one, you will never... EVER go back to anything else, especially if you travel/tour with your DSLR.

http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/curve (external link)

Just want to say, I had a blackrapid sling for a little while, and while lots of people talk about them being amazing, I hated mine. It wasn't comfortable (for me), and it moved too much for the amount I move around with my camera. This might not be a problem for others, but it might be useful if you could borrow one (or get one you could return). It did feel secure on my tripod mount, and I have chosen another strap (cinch) that is also dependent on the tripod mount.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Aug 18, 2014 13:44 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #19

OpTech user here. However, I rarely use a strap. I'm either hand carrying (with a wrist strap), or have it stashed in my backpack -landscapes don't skiddishly run away on you :)

blackjack999
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 18, 2014 14:16 |  #20

Black Rapid RS-Sport is a very nice option. But my DLSR moves too much when attached to this system while I'm walking and is not versatile enough (only one way to carry your gear). That's why I decided to change for the new Peak Design Slide:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=tGq9yqkACc4 (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=qaqCEkHfJ78 (external link)

Available for pre-order here: https://peakdesign.com​/store/slide (external link)

Can't wait to receive mine in October! :)

X-Pro2 + 23mmF1.4
Flickr (external link)

waylandcool
486 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 18, 2014 15:09 |  #21

I use the Op-Tech utility straps (same one as the CPS strap Canon sends members) on my cameras and they are a big improvement over the factory straps. Mine works well around the neck and across my body.

Dave ­ Jenkins
606 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 18, 2014 16:06 |  #22

I've never found anything better than the basic one-inch Domke. Tried an Upstrap and sent it back.

Dave Jenkins
<'}}}}><
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia. See it at amazon.com.
Travel and People: www.davidbjenkins.com
My award winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era. 29,000 copies sold.

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Aug 18, 2014 18:15 |  #23

Dave Jenkins wrote in post #17103932 (external link)
I've never found anything better than the basic one-inch Domke. Tried an Upstrap and sent it back.

I also use an old Domke - the difference is that I run both straps through the same eyelet.

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

stevewf1
779 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 19, 2014 05:02 |  #24

Scott M wrote in post #17103242 (external link)
I use the Op/Tech Pro straps. I can wear it either over the shoulder or around the neck quite comfortably, and it leaves my tripod mount free for a QR plate.

I need something like that. Straps that attach to the tripod mount don't help me either because I also keep the tripod QR plate attached to the camera all the time...

Steve

mnphotos
757 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 19, 2014 06:43 |  #25

stevewf1 wrote in post #17104909 (external link)
I need something like that. Straps that attach to the tripod mount don't help me either because I also keep the tripod QR plate attached to the camera all the time...

Here's one in the for sale section.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1390341

(Shameless post since it's me that is selling it.) ;)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 19, 2014 10:15 |  #26

stevewf1 wrote in post #17104909 (external link)

You can get the best of both by just getting a couple op/tech utility straps. I connect one to the joby tripod arca plate and the other as a second support to the camera strap lug.

For me
I trust the lug far more then the tripod mount, but still use both.
The tripod plate stays on the camera 100% of the time.
The Black Rapid stays on the camera 100% of the time.
The camera sits flat when you set it down. Unlike the original BR strap mount.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 19, 2014 10:30 |  #27

MalVeauX wrote in post #17101808 (external link)
Heya,

This Joby (external link) is excellent and costs nothing compared to more expensive ones that do the same exact thing.

Very best,

I have BlackRapid-DR1 (for dual bodies) and break it into a single strap when needed. Saw my friend used the Joby and it looks AWESOME. If I buy a single, it would be the Joby.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 19, 2014 21:14 |  #28

I went with the Canon CPS strap with the sling strap adapter loop. I also have a sling strap but the canon version was so much nicer that I switched the ends around. I like the idea of the spider holster as well.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 20, 2014 09:59 |  #29

I had the POTN straps on my heavy cameras and the Ladies Black Rapid on my SL1. I really love them both because I never wear the strap except for across on the shoulder. Otherwise, it does feel heavy on the back of my neck. There are so many wonderful choices out there, I think that's why Canon doesn't provide the best long-term choice for a strap.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

wanner
52 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 20, 2014 18:27 |  #30

Really liking my Peak Design Leash
https://peakdesign.com​/store/leash (external link)

Also ordered their upcoming slide.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/malwan/ (external link)

sponsored links

11,608 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.