Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Aug 2014 (Monday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you talk me out of it?

Stav_98
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 18, 2014 15:16 |  #1

I've been a 30d owner for 8 years now and I mostly use it for motor sport shots and the occasional portrait. My glass is reasonably cheap as I can't justify huge sums of money on photography as a hobby (a man has to buy his guitars you know!).

Any way, I've had a full frame itch for about 18 months now and all but 1 of my lenses (18-55 kit lens) are EF. I've seen some 5d's up for £300 - £350 which is just about in my price range for a second body. We're heading off for a few days by the coast so I'm sorely tempted. Generally, I'm happy without the bells and whistles as like to think about what I'm shooting and generally don't fire and forget.

Treading on dangerous ground?

I've contemplated the extra £400 on a MkII but can't justify that sort of money as I'm a hobbyist.

== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
EOS30d w/grip, 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
iMac, Photoshop CC, Lightroom and a pocket full of wine gums
Canis meus id comedi

sponsored links
paintedlotus
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 18, 2014 15:35 |  #2

Get the 5D and don't look back. I went from a 30D to the 5D and, well. The 30D just sat in my bag, untouched, until I sold it. :)

The 5D is wonderful, you won't regret it.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

tongard
357 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 18, 2014 16:13 |  #3

Get the 5d big improvement in image quality, nice big bright viewfinder

Canon 6d, 7d2.
Canon 50 1.4, 28mm 2.8 is , 24-85, 24-105, 70-200 f4 is
Sigma 150-600

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2014 19:01 |  #4

I went from a 20D to a 5D, absolutely zero regrets. Go for it.

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 18, 2014 19:33 |  #5

For mostly motorsports? No, don't do it.

Get a 50D or 60D instead.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Steezy ­ B
43 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 18, 2014 20:11 |  #6

I say 7d

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 18, 2014 20:17 |  #7

I just got a 50D (£275 from WEX and almost perfect, they really do list every minor mark in the discription). This was as an upgrade from a 20D, which has the same sensor as your 30D. Price was one factor, the fact that I could use the same grip and batteries as the 20D along with CF cards and a PC socket for my studio flash system was one reason not to look at the 60D. The move to the 14 bit ADC really makes a difference in the quality of the image. I mostly shoot airshows, and yesterday I did the Sywell show using the 50D and a rented Tamron 150-600. Not had a chance to process the images yet though as I have been processing images from my local clubs FA Cup match which I shot on Saturday. They have worked really well.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,384 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 18, 2014 20:20 |  #8

Steezy B wrote in post #17104317 (external link)
I say 7d

With prices dropping this is a very sound choice for what you shoot.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,940 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 18, 2014 20:38 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #9

I tutored a person with a 50D while I had a 5Dc. When it comes to AF, I don't think the 50D is any better then the 5D. The 5D is still fine for motorsports, as it's tracking is OK. There's a limited number of AF points, so chances are you're going to be sticking with the center AF. The stills IQ of the 5D is still nice: it's got lower resolution and DR then the current equivalents, but is pretty good quality for the price.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,738 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2014 00:25 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #10

Main drawbacks of the 5D in comparison to the 50D or 7D that have also been mentioned are the frame rate (something like 3fps) and the higher density of the APS-C cameras.

The 5D IQ is probably better than those but for sports alone where you are focal length limited (especially on a budget) the higher density sensor makes up for thousands of dollars in glass.

Gear List

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,441 posts
Gallery: 1762 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 19, 2014 00:38 |  #11

Heya,

Since you shoot motorsports, and sometimes a portrait, I don't think you're going to really get everything you think you're going to get from fullframe by going to the 5D classic. The internet will have you believe that fullframe is magic. But today's modern APS-C is better than the 5D was. So really, I would say that if you want the least expensive full frame for the purpose of the thinnest tightest depth of field control, the 5D can be that for you. If you want to continue shooting sports, and you want a much better sensor, dynamic range, etc, but are on a budget, then look to a modern APS-C, like a used T5i, 60D, even a 7D is becoming affordable.

I shoot a 5D classic myself, as my full frame, but only for portrait. I use modern APS-C for everything else (landscape, wildlife, macro, astro, you name it). I don't recommend the 5D as a cure all, because it's not the most robust camera these days for sports, it's ISO is quite limited by today's standards, it's resolution limits cropping, it doesn't have fast FPS (not that it's a big deal though really), etc.

I like my 5D. Great for using a viewfinder. Great for manual glass. But no Live View. It's autofocus is not something I'm impressed with by any means. It's ISO performance is ok, but it's not what you can get on even a modern APS-C. I look at the 5D as one of those good cameras for general photography and especially for portraiture for today. And that's what I use it for.

Otherwise, again, I would recommend a T5i, 60D, or 7D instead for what you're describing, on a budget, as a hobbyist. Full frame doesn't just change the game for you. It's just another tool, and if you don't have a need for what it offers, then it's not really the right tool every time. Also consider, 300mm on full frame, is not what you're used to seeing on APS-C. Huge difference in field of view. So you'll be cropping to get the same frame up you're used to from the same distance.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

PrinceAbubu
397 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 19, 2014 01:55 |  #12

this...

Sirrith wrote in post #17104253 (external link)
For mostly motorsports? No, don't do it.

Get a 50D or 60D instead.

..and this.. :)

MalVeauX wrote in post #17104698 (external link)
Heya,

Since you shoot motorsports, and sometimes a portrait, I don't think you're going to really get everything you think you're going to get from fullframe by going to the 5D classic. The internet will have you believe that fullframe is magic. But today's modern APS-C is better than the 5D was. So really, I would say that if you want the least expensive full frame for the purpose of the thinnest tightest depth of field control, the 5D can be that for you. If you want to continue shooting sports, and you want a much better sensor, dynamic range, etc, but are on a budget, then look to a modern APS-C, like a used T5i, 60D, even a 7D is becoming affordable.

I shoot a 5D classic myself, as my full frame, but only for portrait. I use modern APS-C for everything else (landscape, wildlife, macro, astro, you name it). I don't recommend the 5D as a cure all, because it's not the most robust camera these days for sports, it's ISO is quite limited by today's standards, it's resolution limits cropping, it doesn't have fast FPS (not that it's a big deal though really), etc.

I like my 5D. Great for using a viewfinder. Great for manual glass. But no Live View. It's autofocus is not something I'm impressed with by any means. It's ISO performance is ok, but it's not what you can get on even a modern APS-C. I look at the 5D as one of those good cameras for general photography and especially for portraiture for today. And that's what I use it for.

Otherwise, again, I would recommend a T5i, 60D, or 7D instead for what you're describing, on a budget, as a hobbyist. Full frame doesn't just change the game for you. It's just another tool, and if you don't have a need for what it offers, then it's not really the right tool every time. Also consider, 300mm on full frame, is not what you're used to seeing on APS-C. Huge difference in field of view. So you'll be cropping to get the same frame up you're used to from the same distance.

Very best,

Canon 6D | 17-40 F4 L | 70-200 F2.8 L | 50 1.4 | | 430EX II Flash | Olympus OM-D E-M10 14-42mm kit lens | Sony A5000 with 16-50mm kit | Velbon Sherpa 600R | Manfrotto Monopod 790B | Naneu Pro urbangear U30 |Lowe Pro Flipside 200 | Toploader pro 75AW | wish list Fujifilm XT1 with 35mm f2 | (goneski) 1DsMk1, 450D with 18-200mm, 40mm stm

Christiaan_BT
29 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 19, 2014 02:23 |  #13

Short answer to your post question - no.
Personally i wouldn't try talk you out of it, and my reasoning is as such;

When i had a 5d and it was partnered with my 5d2 (at the time) i still found myself reaching for the 5d. The simplicity, the barebones, basic feel of it and the raw beauty (no pun intended) of the images. I didnt have great glass to start with either, but there was just something about the camera and images that made me smile every time i used it.

I have the same things at the moment with one of my rangefinders (epson rd-1s), with its basic, stripped down to the bones type functionality - you even have to cock the shutter first, but its a digital 6 MP sensor and even though its old, not made for all these high-iso, ultra dynamic range, etc. its pictures are beautiful. and i reach for it every time i want to just take a camera with me somewhere on a walk or trip.

So have a think about it. sometimes one has to buy with ones heart not ones head or pocket... :-) and the 5d is one of those moments, and at 300-350 quid you're looking at, judging by the 8 years your 30D has done you service, a rate of like 120 quid a year over 3 years, thats a tenner a month.

Drink less coke.
Spend less time in the beer garden / pub.
Buy The Sun less.
Renegotiate your phone contract for better rates.

Just.
Do.
It.
:cool:

Canon 5D3 | Canon 1V HS | 16-35L f2.8 | 35L f1.4 | 24-70L f2.8 II | 135L f2.0 | 70-200L f2.8 | Σ 105 Macro | Nifty Fifty & many trinkets to match!

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 19, 2014 02:27 |  #14

Hi thanks for the input all - I'll see if I can source a good one for tomorrow and if so I think I'll take the 5D plunge.

I believe the T5i, 60D and 7D all to be cropped sensors so I'll be avoiding these to scratch my itch; thanks for your input though.

The 5D seems to be a good value route into giving full frame a go, be interesting to compare with my 30D as I seem to recall they were being marketed and sold around the same time.

Martin

== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
EOS30d w/grip, 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
iMac, Photoshop CC, Lightroom and a pocket full of wine gums
Canis meus id comedi

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 19, 2014 02:55 |  #15

Stav_98 wrote in post #17104810 (external link)
Hi thanks for the input all - I'll see if I can source a good one for tomorrow and if so I think I'll take the 5D plunge.

I believe the T5i, 60D and 7D all to be cropped sensors so I'll be avoiding these to scratch my itch; thanks for your input though.

The 5D seems to be a good value route into giving full frame a go, be interesting to compare with my 30D as I seem to recall they were being marketed and sold around the same time.

Martin

If you just want to scratch an itch, then get a 1D II instead. It'll scratch your itch just fine, and will work better for your purposes than the 5Dc.. .

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

4,779 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you talk me out of it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.