Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Aug 2014 (Monday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you talk me out of it?

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 19, 2014 08:17 |  #16

Sirrith wrote in post #17104830 (external link)
If you just want to scratch an itch, then get a 1D II instead. It'll scratch your itch just fine, and will work better for your purposes than the 5Dc.. .

Thanks for the thought, 1D II has a 1.3 crop factor though?

Martin

== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
EOS30d w/grip, 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
iMac, Photoshop CC, Lightroom and a pocket full of wine gums
Canis meus id comedi

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 19, 2014 08:19 |  #17

Stav_98 wrote in post #17104810 (external link)

I believe the T5i, 60D and 7D all to be cropped sensors so I'll be avoiding these to scratch my itch; thanks for your input though.

IMAGE: http://authorallenwatson.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/picard_ashamed.jpg

First, "going FF" isn't going to make you a better photographer. FF is not some magic unicorn that just comes in and spreads pixie dust on your shots making them published automagically in Nat Geo.

Yes, in some cases, ff does have slightly better image quality, but most of the time you can't tell the difference from a crop body. I've said this many times; I could put shots from my 550D next to my 5D MKIII (shot with the same glass) and the overwhelming majority of people here couldn't tell the difference.

Your 30D is so old that ANY modern DSLR will be light years ahead, including a crop body. The improvements in AF alone is remarkable.

The fact that you shoot motorsports automatically excludes the 5D classic. The AF is going to suck compared to a 7D (which is a hell of a deal right now)

Buy a camera based on budget and what you shoot. I know these forums make FF seem like it is the best camera in the world or some nonsense, but it's misleading. Once you get over the "OMG I got a FF" you might start to actually look at the shots and ignore the hype.We tend to romanticize objects, giving them a higher value than what they really are. Make a decision with your brain based on facts.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 19, 2014 08:55 |  #18

Just don't look through the viewfinder of the 5D.

I use a Kodak Brownie

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,023 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 19, 2014 09:15 as a reply to  @ Jon_Doh's post |  #19

You posted asking for recommendations and now you have them but you still want to ignore them and go for a camera that the vast majority of posters say you'll probably be unhappy with? I just don't understand.

If you just MUST have a FF body save your coin and get the 5D2.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 19, 2014 10:46 |  #20

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17105111 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

First, "going FF" isn't going to make you a better photographer. FF is not some magic unicorn that just comes in and spreads pixie dust on your shots making them published automagically in Nat Geo.

Yes, in some cases, ff does have slightly better image quality, but most of the time you can't tell the difference from a crop body. I've said this many times; I could put shots from my 550D next to my 5D MKIII (shot with the same glass) and the overwhelming majority of people here couldn't tell the difference.

Your 30D is so old that ANY modern DSLR will be light years ahead, including a crop body. The improvements in AF alone is remarkable.

The fact that you shoot motorsports automatically excludes the 5D classic. The AF is going to suck compared to a 7D (which is a hell of a deal right now)

Buy a camera based on budget and what you shoot. I know these forums make FF seem like it is the best camera in the world or some nonsense, but it's misleading. Once you get over the "OMG I got a FF" you might start to actually look at the shots and ignore the hype.We tend to romanticize objects, giving them a higher value than what they really are. Make a decision with your brain based on facts.

Thanks for your input Gregg but I don't think I've suggested it will make me a better photographer nor have I suggested that the image quality will be any better, I've simply said I'd like to give FF a bash. A direct comparison would be of interest to me as the majority of my lenses are EF. It'll be pointless for me to buy anything other than FF to...well try FF.

Cheers

Martin

Canis meus id comedi

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 19, 2014 10:52 |  #21

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17105214 (external link)
You posted asking for recommendations and now you have them but you still want to ignore them and go for a camera that the vast majority of posters say you'll probably be unhappy with? I just don't understand.

If you just MUST have a FF body save your coin and get the 5D2.

Hi FarmerT,

Oh I wouldn't understand either if that were the case but I've asked not for recommendations but whether folk would try and talk me out of it. Generally there seems to be a good thumbs up for the 5D not against. Also those that are against have made recommendations for bodies that aren't FF so they don't really answer the original point.

As explained I can't really justify the 100% + increase in "coin" for the Mk2 however much I'd love one.

Martin

Canis meus id comedi

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,089 posts
Gallery: 1546 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 19, 2014 12:39 |  #22

Hrm,

"Would you talk me out of it?"

Responses: Resounding yeses, they/we would talk you out of it.

"Doing it anyways!"

This is strangely similar to trolling. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 19, 2014 12:56 |  #23

MalVeauX wrote in post #17105558 (external link)
Hrm,

"Would you talk me out of it?"

Responses: Resounding yeses, they/we would talk you out of it.

"Doing it anyways!"

This is strangely similar to trolling. ;)

Very best,

Resounding Yes: we'd talk you out of it? I count at least 4 replies that are "go for it" or "no I wouldn't talk you out of it".

I'm sure all the other 8 or so recommendations are fantastic cameras but unfortunately seem to ignore the point that my budget is around £350 and want to try FF. I'm sure the 7D is awesome but it's APS-C along with most of the others mentioned. I've no issues with the images my 30d takes so not looking for an upgrade...just thinking about FF.

Thanks for taking the time to read though.

Canis meus id comedi

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,089 posts
Gallery: 1546 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 19, 2014 14:14 |  #24

Heya,

Go ahead and buy a full frame. Whatever you can afford. You clearly have been convinced by the internet that the "full frame advantage" applies here. After the honeymoon phase wears off, from a new purchase, take a look at your motorsports images and your new field of view with your longest lens whilst doing so, and let us know if it was worth it. It will be worth it for portraits, that I can agree with. But for the action you claim to shoot a lot of, I'm just not understanding why you're so bent on having full frame for it. But there's only one cure. Just go full frame. Later, well after, you'll know what you really need for what you shoot.

I say this again as someone with a 5D and several APS-C's. The 5D has no advantages over my APS-C's as they're modern, other than the thinnest depth of field--which is what I use it for, strictly for portraits. I use APS-C for wildlife, macro, action, landscape, etc. It's simply easier and better, with modern APS-C sensors, from a cost perspective.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 19, 2014 14:17 |  #25

If you want ff to use for motorsport without breaking the bank, I would go 1DS2.
Better af than the 5d, and at low iso you'll struggle to beat the image quality.

Failing that, a modern crop over a 5D.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

mondayshift
Goldmember
2,278 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 19, 2014 14:25 |  #26

the 5D2 would be a very good upgrade.

"I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now."
- edna mode -
flickr (external link)

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 19, 2014 14:46 |  #27

Cheers again all,

Most definitely no "convincing by the internet", I've made no such mention...as I said just simply wanting to scratch an itch. Maybe it'll take me to more places other than motor sport, i don't need it to replace my 30d for that as it seems to cope very well. I've a young family so maybe I'll enjoy shooting pictures of them a little more, maybe even a little landscape...who knows I may hate it and ... well not lose any more than a few hundred quid.

If it does become a preference then maybe after a little saving a newer generation FF may be justifiable.

Cheers.

Martin

I

Canis meus id comedi

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,999 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 19, 2014 15:29 |  #28

Stav_98 wrote in post #17105796 (external link)
Cheers again all,

Most definitely no "convincing by the internet", I've made no such mention...as I said just simply wanting to scratch an itch. Maybe it'll take me to more places other than motor sport, i don't need it to replace my 30d for that as it seems to cope very well. I've a young family so maybe I'll enjoy shooting pictures of them a little more, maybe even a little landscape...who knows I may hate it and ... well not lose any more than a few hundred quid.

If it does become a preference then maybe after a little saving a newer generation FF may be justifiable.

Cheers.

Martin

I

Unfortunately you just missed a mint 5D - namely mine!
Many have recommended 1.6 crop (APSC) cameras over the old 5D - I would disagree. My 5D was used for both wildlife and landscape work. Naturally you would expect it to be good at landscapes, and it is - very, but I found it pretty good for wildlife including birds in flight - it certainly made my 20D and 50D look pretty poor.
The center point AF on the 5D is excellent, though slow, I could get a farily high keeper rate on flying Red Kites - so it's not too bad! Overall IQ was very good so much so that I only sold mine after getting my 1DX.
One poster suggested a 1D2 - this would probably be a good idea as the 1.3 crop sensor gives some of the advantages of full frame, I would also suggest the 1D3 (they are pretty cheap now), If you were to move to a 1D series then things like responsiveness and AF speed move into a different league which is why they are the first choice for action shooters.
Only you can decide so I would suggest you get hold of as many different models as possible and try them out.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2014 15:56 |  #29

Stav_98 wrote in post #17105401 (external link)
Thanks for your input Gregg but I don't think I've suggested it will make me a better photographer nor have I suggested that the image quality will be any better, I've simply said I'd like to give FF a bash. A direct comparison would be of interest to me as the majority of my lenses are EF. It'll be pointless for me to buy anything other than FF to...well try FF.

Cheers

Martin

I agree that Gregg may have used a sledgehammer to pound a trim nail. But, his sentiment is coming from a place of experience - one that mirrors my own. For your intended uses, you simply will find no appreciable benefit from the 5D over some of the crop bodies suggested above. Whatever itch you have to give full frame a try will remain unscratched.

A 7D would be your best bet by a long shot but the latest XXD model your budget can squeeze in will be light years ahead of a 30D - and for your intended uses, also better than the 5D. Your lenses also will not go to waste on a crop camera, either - none of what you intend to shoot seems to require wide angle.

But, if you insist on just having to try FF anyway, then sure - a 5D is a great way to give it a whirl. It's lacking on features, AF is ancient, high ISO performance is lacking along with file size - but when printed at reasonable sizes and ISO's, it does have a great look to it's images.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

Frodge
Goldmember
3,072 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 19, 2014 15:57 |  #30

Maybe post some photos in the thread so we can see why you need to go ff.

sponsored links

4,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you talk me out of it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.