Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Aug 2014 (Monday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash meter 375 or 478. Need advice

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 18, 2014 19:29 |  #1

Hi everyone so long story short it's time for my first meter. I have been leaning towards a 358 but they are still hard to find at around $200 but I found one locally however my next choice was the. 478.at around $340 I will only be using it for mainly outside portrait work with strobe or speedlights and interior portrait such as children with backdrops when natur light isn't cutting it then I may incorporate am umbrella and strobe

I don't think my wimpy flashpoint 300w is going to overpower the sung (lol) so I'll just be using it to balance ambient with flash when appropriate ambient exists.

I know they both have a display for the % of flash to ambient and both will measure practically every other type of measurement. But I know the 375 won't calibrate with the software but at the same time I know if I get the 375 for $200 I could afford to pick up either the spot attachment or a softbox for my strobe which funded since I have just a couple of umbrellas large to small for the strobe but no softbox for the strobe or my eventual alien bee 800.

I see the need for the spot attachment. It rely just for landscape work. I'm still trying perfecting my skill with landscape but I have a way to go. So is there a reason for me to justify the extra expense rather thrn picking up a 375 for $200 and having some extra to spare?

Thank you!!

sponsored links
draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 18, 2014 19:39 |  #2

digitalduck wrote in post #17104246 (external link)
Hi everyone so long story short it's time for my first meter. I have been leaning towards a 375 but they are still hard to find at around $200 but I found one locally however my next choice was the. 478.at around $340 I will only be using it for mainly outside portrait work with strobe or speedlights and interior portrait such as children with backdrops when natur light isn't cutting it then I may incorporate am umbrella and strobe

I don't think my wimpy flashpoint 300w is going to overpower the sung (lol) so I'll just be using it to balance ambient with flash when appropriate ambient exists.

I know they both have a display for the % of flash to ambient and both will measure prsctig every other type of measurement. But I know the 375 won't calibrate with the software but at the same time I know if I get the 375 for $200 I could afford to pick up either the spot attachment or a softbox for my strobe which funded since I have just a couple of umbrellas large to small for the strobe but no softbox for the gap or my eventual alien bee 800.

I see the need for the spot attachment. It rely just for landscape work. I'm still trying perfecting my skill with landscape. It have a way to go. So is there a reason for me to justify the extra expense rather thrn picking up a 375 for $200 and having some extra to spare?

Thank you!!

I presume you are referring to the L-358 meter. I am not aware of a Sekonic 375. If you can get a used L358 in good condition for $200 that is probably a good deal. Be aware that the spot meter attachment for the 358 is more expensive than the spot attachment for the 478D. I wouldn't worry too much about that though. Most of the time you are going to be using the standard dome regardless of which model you choose.

Also something to be aware of is the AB800 you are referencing is the same power output essentially as your flashpoint 300ws. AB800 is only rated at 320ws max. You'd need an AB1600 or an Einstein 640 to get noticeably more light.

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 18, 2014 19:45 |  #3

Draderus, good catch lol typed it on the train on the phone :). Ok good point about the spot attachment knew they both had one didn't realize the big price difference the two. Guess it can come alter. Also I suppose the camera calibration really isn't a bi deal really considering I'll make every adjustment in post.

Good point about the AB800 and my FP I do ultimately want to invest in a couple AB and replace the FP but for now I need a softbox for the strobe and replace the umbrellas l

usdm
212 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 18, 2014 23:42 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #4

The 478 spot meter does work well for landscape, but it can be used to great effect for environmental portraits. Another advantage of the 478 is that it is more user friendly with pw radios such as the flex and the mini (the 358 also works with these, but is slight more involved to get set up). If you don't need that extra bit of refinement, the 358 will do you just fine. And if you can get it for 200, its a great deal imho.

The big thing that keeps me going back to the 358 is its portability; I can put the dome in, shove the meter in a pocket, and Im off. The 478, not so much.

http://imagedphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Seeker of the "AH HA" moments....

draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 19, 2014 08:42 |  #5

usdm wrote in post #17104646 (external link)
The big thing that keeps me going back to the 358 is its portability; I can put the dome in, shove the meter in a pocket, and Im off. The 478, not so much.

Can you elaborate on this thought? Why can the 358 be shoved in a pocket where the 478 cannot? I've seen side by side size comparisons and the L478 looked smaller than the 358 so your comment puzzles me. Is it due to the touchscreen interface on the 478? I'm considering picking up one or the other of these so this is of great interest to me.

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

adammazza
505 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 19, 2014 08:53 as a reply to  @ draderusa's post |  #6

I have the 478 because I couldn't find a 358 cheap. Not a fan of the touch screen.

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100T, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X70
Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4
Fuji 16mm F/1.4, Fuji 35mm F/1.4, Fuji 56mm F/1.2, Fuji 16-55 F/2.8

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 19, 2014 09:06 |  #7

Thanks guys!! Also as much as I want some PW's eventually, right now I just have 3 yongnuo 622c's but it's nice because I can take the top unit off my camera and walk over to subject and just test the flash as if I had a PW really. Or just walk over there with camera on neck etc. Don't get me wrong I'll eventually pick some up but right now I imagine it will work we'll :)

usdm
212 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 19, 2014 20:44 |  #8

draderusa wrote in post #17105152 (external link)
Can you elaborate on this thought? Why can the 358 be shoved in a pocket where the 478 cannot? I've seen side by side size comparisons and the L478 looked smaller than the 358 so your comment puzzles me. Is it due to the touchscreen interface on the 478? I'm considering picking up one or the other of these so this is of great interest to me.

I just realized my error. Was thinking about the 758. The 478 will fit in the pocket much much better than either 358 or the 758. And the 478 screen work quite well in day light as well as night, plus It had a an antiglare screen for that extra. I didn't like it cuz the touch screen felt clumsy in my hands., so when I had a lil bit of free change, I got me another 358. My apologies for the mistake..

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 22, 2014 08:17 |  #9

What about a 758Dr for $200? I know it a bit bulkier but has a spot meter. How would it compare to the 358?

usdm
212 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 22, 2014 13:20 |  #10

digitalduck wrote in post #17111120 (external link)
What about a 758Dr for $200? I know it a bit bulkier but has a spot meter. How would it compare to the 358?

outside of the spot meter, and the way it sets up and works with pw ctl, there is no difference. I don't anyone selling a 758 for less than 400, but if you can get one for 200, and its in good condition, then definitely worth it.

draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 22, 2014 13:50 |  #11

digitalduck wrote in post #17111120 (external link)

Definitely bulkier but it includes a built in 1 degree spot meter. $200 for one in good shape would be an amazing deal. If you don't want it let me know where I can get it. ;)

Dave

sponsored links

1,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash meter 375 or 478. Need advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.