Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 19 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 17:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

North American I.D. requests please?

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,870 posts
Gallery: 728 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 19, 2014 17:08 |  #1

Following my visit to Canada last week I'm working my way through the many bird images I took. Some are easy to identify (mostly from what I've seen on here!) but some are less easy to identify. I've been using the excellent Cornell ornithology guide but I'd appreciate some help with the two below. Both seen in Ontario, Canada, close to the border with Detroit:

The first bird has me thinking Grey Vireo but not sure?

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3879/14786313947_d9b7547cbe_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/owBH​Zn  (external link) Canadian bird photos #11: Grey Vireo??? (external link) by 2slo7 (external link), on Flickr

The next one I think might be either a Yellow-bellied flycatcher or possibly a Yellow-throated Vireo? Sorry for the poor quality of this shot, it's a 100% crop and it was taken through glass:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/14970810331_50c6b86ed3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oNVj​kv  (external link) Canadian bird photod #12: Yellow-bellied flycatcher? (external link) by 2slo7 (external link), on Flickr

Any help appreciated and I will be posting images of what I saw on here once I've processed and identified all the birds.

sponsored links
2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,085 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 19, 2014 17:20 |  #2

I think the first one is a Philadelphia Vireo.

Not sure on the second one. I don't think it is a vireo though. I'm leaning to flycatcher or warbler.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

2slo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,870 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 19, 2014 17:24 as a reply to  @ 2n10's post |  #3

Thanks John, looking at the pics on Cornell I see where you're coming from re the first bird, Philadelphia Vireo it is then!
Anyone else re the second bird?

JTF
758 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 19, 2014 17:48 |  #4

I am thinking the 2nd is a Juvenile baltimore oriole

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,085 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 19, 2014 17:50 |  #5

JTF wrote in post #17106160 (external link)

I think you are spot on.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

2slo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,870 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 19, 2014 18:23 |  #6

JTF wrote in post #17106160 (external link)

Thanks a lot, looking at the description and similar pics of the species, I think that looks right. I'd never have gotten that I.D. so really pleased I asked on here :)

chubri777
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 20, 2014 04:00 |  #7

First one is a Warbling Vireo. Philadelphia Vireo would be much darker in the loral area. Baltimore Oriole is correct on the other but looks more like an adult female to me.

Regards,
Chuck

2slo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,870 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 20, 2014 04:30 |  #8

chubri777 wrote in post #17106888 (external link)
First one is a Warbling Vireo. Philadelphia Vireo would be much darker in the loral area. Baltimore Oriole is correct on the other but looks more like an adult female to me.

That sounds pretty definite. Comparing the two varieties suggested for the first bird (Philadelphia Vireo and warbling Vireo) they are similar meaning it would be easy to mistake one for the other. With the comparisons side by side on Cornell though I can see why you'd say it was the latter so I'll change it to that. The I.D. on the 2nd bird stands as Baltimore Oriole so that's fine.

Thanks everyone :)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,682 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 20, 2014 05:40 as a reply to  @ 2slo's post |  #9

You'll notice I didn't offer any ideas on these ;). Good shots there Mark, of some birds I've never seen. Geez, you come to Canada and take right over!!!

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

2slo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,870 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 20, 2014 05:53 |  #10

Wallace River wrote in post #17106957 (external link)
You'll notice I didn't offer any ideas on these ;). Good shots there Mark, of some birds I've never seen. Geez, you come to Canada and take right over!!!

Lol! Not much chance of that Ian. I got lucky in a few instances over the 2 weeks I was there. If I had the time I'd plan to return to Point Pelee for the Spring migration but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Lester ­ Wareham
29,726 posts
Gallery: 3045 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 20, 2014 13:20 |  #11

Lovely shots Mark, good visit.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

CamFan01
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 21, 2014 08:08 as a reply to  @ Lester Wareham's post |  #12

I too am glad expert identifiers such as Chuck are around Mark since, like Ian, I wouldn't have had a clue!
I have to ask though whether you were able to find any hummingbirds in your journey here?

Steve
1DMk4, 5DMk3, D4s, D800
300 f2.8L IS II, 400 f2.8G ED VR, 500 f4L IS, 600 f4L IS II, 600 f4G ED VR....and a few others.

www.pixallphoto.com (external link)

2slo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,870 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 21, 2014 18:26 |  #13

Lester Wareham wrote in post #17107708 (external link)
Lovely shots Mark, good visit.

Thanks Lester

CamFan01 wrote in post #17109197 (external link)
I too am glad expert identifiers such as Chuck are around Mark since, like Ian, I wouldn't have had a clue!
I have to ask though whether you were able to find any hummingbirds in your journey here?

Thanks Steve, I'd be the same with a lot of British birds, have to look them up!
I did get a brief view of male and female Ruby-throated Hummers yes, thanks, the shots I got of them were far from the standard of many on here. I've been sooo busy the last couple of days but I do intend a post with some of the better bird shots I got in the next day or two :)

sponsored links

1,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
North American I.D. requests please?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.