Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 14:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mk3 worth another £1000 + upgrade

industryimage
194 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 20, 2014 14:48 |  #1

Have a 5dmk2 and a 1dmk3, is the 5dmk3 worth another £1000 + of an upgrade. Shoot mainly MTB and have found the AF and the ISO to be super on the 5dmk2. What else i'm I missing out on ???

Warren

Bodies: Canon 5dmk2 | Canon 1dmk3
Lenses: Canon 24-70 f/2.8L| Canon 135 f/2L | Canon 300 f/2.8L IS mkII | Sigma 35 f1.4 ART | Canon 70-200 f2.8 is mkII
Event Website (external link)
Client Website (external link)
Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links
MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 20, 2014 14:54 |  #2

You'll find it in just about any 5D2 vs 5D3 thread out there but I'll offer my personal experience anyway - I recently made this switch.

ISO 100-3200 is about the same between the two cameras but the 5D3 starts to pull away afterward. But, the big kicker was the AF - while 5D2 center point AF was pretty decent, having reliable AF points throughout the frame are a game changer for me. It's refreshing to be confident in framing my shot just how I want in camera instead of using center point and framing loosely enough to crop to the composition I wanted, or alternatively using focus/recompose. It makes using fast primes much easier to have this flexibility.

There are some other bells and whistles, but the two above were the big sellers for me - totally worth the money IMO. The only thing that makes me hesitant for you is that you say you're totally satisfied with what you have. If you are, then no upgrade for any amount of money is worthwhile.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 20, 2014 14:55 |  #3

In a word don't bother, wait until the 5d mark 4 or 5, otherwise it's just an incremental upgrade, it's generally every other or every third generation that has real world improvement from the last model.

carpenter
Goldmember
2,631 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 20, 2014 14:57 |  #4

If you have found the ISO and AF to be super on the MkII, then there really is no need to go with a MkIII. I personally feel the MkIII is worth the money. BUT When I say worth the money to me I mean worth that I can get it for From Canon refurb with CLP ($2300 or so)

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 20, 2014 16:11 |  #5

I used to have a 1D3 and now have a 5D3. Keep your set up. The 1D3 is streaks ahead of the 5D3 for AF speed.

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 20, 2014 16:53 |  #6

Paulstw wrote in post #17108038 (external link)
I used to have a 1D3 and now have a 5D3. Keep your set up. The 1D3 is streaks ahead of the 5D3 for AF speed.

I've never owned a 1DIII so I have no personal experience but this doesn't sound right. FPS, buffer and build certainly goes to the 1DIII but AF performance (speed/tracking)? Everything I've read about the 5D3 puts AF right up there with the 1DX, let alone the 1DIII.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,951 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 20, 2014 17:20 |  #7

I shot 2 seasons of NBA with the 1D4 at high ISO (6400/12800). I shot the entire last year with the 5D3. It proved to be every bit as competent regarding AF once I set up the right AF parameters (different on the 5d3 vs 1D4). ISO performance is also better.

ISO 25600

IMAGE: http://gerberphotos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20132014-/i-npzc4LJ/0/X3/5P1B6180-X3.jpg

Same ISO, but using outer point to keep focus on player and not cut off limbs...
IMAGE: http://gerberphotos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20132014-/i-vTGfXVm/0/X3/5P1B7864-X3.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 21, 2014 05:11 |  #8

MNUplander wrote in post #17108115 (external link)
I've never owned a 1DIII so I have no personal experience but this doesn't sound right. FPS, buffer and build certainly goes to the 1DIII but AF performance (speed/tracking)? Everything I've read about the 5D3 puts AF right up there with the 1DX, let alone the 1DIII.

The 5D3 might have the same AF system as the 1Dx but it's not quicker than the 1D3 at focussing. I guess in some way Canon have limted via software the speed in which it reacts or something cause I went from, snap, snap, snap on the 1D3 and within an hour of using the 5D3 I noticed it wasn't just as snappy and that was using the same lens. I had already sold the 1D3 by that point and was a quick test before it went back in the box for postage but something just didn't feel right.

Still to this day I still don't feel the AF AI SERVO performance is as fast as is it should be. Some people go on about the 1D3 having a larger battery thus being able to drive the lens motor faster and all that, but I dunno I just know that it's slower on the 5D3 on faster action stuff.

I mean slower to achieve focus from a blur, it's hard to tell once your actually tracking a subject. Definitely feels a bit slow off the mark when you spot something and need the AF system to react fast. I have just got into the habit of snapping the manual focus to either far away or close depending on the scene as I lift the camera now, whereas before I didn't even need to think about it, the 1D3 almost just achieved focus in an instant.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,388 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 21, 2014 08:02 |  #9

Paulstw wrote in post #17108976 (external link)
The 5D3 might have the same AF system as the 1Dx but it's not quicker than the 1D3 at focussing. I guess in some way Canon have limted via software the speed in which it reacts or something cause I went from, snap, snap, snap on the 1D3 and within an hour of using the 5D3 I noticed it wasn't just as snappy and that was using the same lens. I had already sold the 1D3 by that point and was a quick test before it went back in the box for postage but something just didn't feel right.

What lens you use makes a big difference in AF speed. When I see comparison tests of AF speed alone, it seems all new DSLRs are pretty snappy. One of the bigger differences in speed between a 1D3 vs 5D3 would be shutter lag: the 5D being FF (and not a 1D), wasn't engineered to be a burst speed demon.

As for the OP, if you like the AF and ISO on the 5D2, then the 5D3 is just an upgrade from that (in the AF department, I believe it's a major upgrade). I went from a 5Dc to a 5D3, because I didn't believe the 5D2 was a good enough upgrade (ISO and resolution are better, but no change in AF??).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Canon ­ George
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 21, 2014 10:07 |  #10

The AF systems in the 5d3 and 1 Dx are indeed similar but not the same. the 1 Dx has a separate microprocessor just for AF, and of course can shoot at a much higher frame rate.
My photography is wildlife, and I tried both bodies before getting a 1Dx, initially I didn't want to spend the (substantial) extra money for the 1 Dx but after using both, went for the 1 Dx.
Having said that, if I was landscape, I think the 5d3 would be eminantly suitable, but the rate of keepers with the 1 Dx blows every other Canon camera out of the water....but the AF system on both the 5d3 and 1 Dx need a lot of experimenting with to get the best results, took me 9 months to be really happy with it.
AF system is much better and comprehensive on the 5d3 compared to the 5d2 (which is the same as the original 5d) but again, for still life, who cares?
As you shoot biking, I'd have thought the 5d3 system would give better results, but of course not at the same frame rate.
Can you not borrow/hire a 5d3 for a weekend, then you'll answer your question for yourself???...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,951 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 21, 2014 11:27 |  #11

Canon George wrote in post #17109411 (external link)
The AF systems in the 5d3 and 1 Dx are indeed similar but not the same. the 1 Dx has a separate microprocessor just for AF, and of course can shoot at a much higher frame rate.
My photography is wildlife, and I tried both bodies before getting a 1Dx, initially I didn't want to spend the (substantial) extra money for the 1 Dx but after using both, went for the 1 Dx.
Having said that, if I was landscape, I think the 5d3 would be eminantly suitable, but the rate of keepers with the 1 Dx blows every other Canon camera out of the water....but the AF system on both the 5d3 and 1 Dx need a lot of experimenting with to get the best results, took me 9 months to be really happy with it.
AF system is much better and comprehensive on the 5d3 compared to the 5d2 (which is the same as the original 5d) but again, for still life, who cares?
As you shoot biking, I'd have thought the 5d3 system would give better results, but of course not at the same frame rate.
Can you not borrow/hire a 5d3 for a weekend, then you'll answer your question for yourself???...

The frame rate and AF systems are mutually exclusive.

A separate processor for AF again doesn't mean the AF is different, it just means that the AF on one system might be more responsive than the other.

Here is the best source for determining what is similar and what is different.

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …/2012/1dx_guide​book.shtml (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2014 19:08 |  #12

industryimage wrote in post #17107882 (external link)
Have a 5dmk2 and a 1dmk3, is the 5dmk3 worth another £1000 + of an upgrade. Shoot mainly MTB and have found the AF and the ISO to be super on the 5dmk2. What else i'm I missing out on ???

Warren

In your situation I would sell them both and find a used Canon 1D Mk4.
Whilst the 1D Mk3 is a very good camera the Mk4 is even faster (AF)/more flexible and produces better images at higher ISO. As a landscape/general purpose camera the 1D Mk4 produces better files that are easier to work with - basically it is a better camera in all respects than the Mk3, as you would expect being more recent technology.
1d Mk4s are now available at reasonable prices and selling your two bodies would virtually cover the cost of one. Note if you have any spare batteries for your 1D Mk3 keep then as they work in the Mk4 (and 1DX).

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,389 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 25, 2014 19:34 |  #13

industryimage wrote in post #17107882 (external link)

Warren

In this case you are missing nothing !
I still have my 5D2 and use it a lot with the 5D3
5D2 in 5-10 years from now will still be an amazing camera ;)
I invest a lot 5 years ago around the 5D2 for underwater photography, when i got the 5D3, i was, in the beginning, thinking to sell everything about 5D2, to bring the 5D3 underwater, after thinking, what advantage i will get ? none !!
You found the AF and the ISO to be super on the 5dmk2, they are !!
The 5D2 is capable to pin up the focus in lite condition that still surprise me, and it's ISO range are largely enough for everything, the 5D3 will just bring up some abilities that you do not need based on what you are saying ;)
So for you it's not worth another £1000 + of an upgrade

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,904 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mk3 worth another £1000 + upgrade
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.