Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 20 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 20:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sunset, CC requested

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,928 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 20, 2014 20:19 |  #1

Any suggestions on how to improve taking this kind of shot?

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/14984971672_0c74a90a61_b_d.jpg

sponsored links
WhidbeyHiker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,928 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 20, 2014 20:20 |  #2

Another from this series.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5564/14982229281_937a8554f4_b_d.jpg

Keith ­ Newton
Goldmember
1,140 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 20, 2014 21:11 |  #3

It might have been interesting to try an HDR shot or two. I've never tried playing with the settings to see if the - side can be pulled over enough to have picked up a Sun-spot, if there were any present, but it could certainly help to have some red value showing in it, rather than blown out.

bowtie`
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2014 21:26 |  #4

My best results with those type of shots have comes with a 100mm in portrait orientation. Using a GND with judicious amounts of feathering. My 100mm because you generally want your sharpest lens seeing how you are dealing with foreground shadows, mid ground shadows and the Sun at long distance. Portrait orientation because with the sun in the top third the sun reflection in the water takes up the bottom third. It just seems to look better to my eye. Other people seem to be able to make the landscape orientation work. You will have to get a response from one of them on that. The GND with feathering is just playing with the light to get it even or as uneven as you want. Have fun playing with it!

WhidbeyHiker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,928 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 21, 2014 07:17 |  #5

I don't have a GND, looks like I need to get one, and a decent tripod. Thanks.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 21, 2014 13:01 |  #6

Your horizon isn't straight.

By "this type of shot"....what type of shot is this supposed to even be? There is no clear subject other than the sun. The rest of the shot is underexposed and holds no interest.

Gear List

WhidbeyHiker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,928 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 21, 2014 17:47 |  #7

Numenorean wrote in post #17109745 (external link)
Your horizon isn't straight.

By "this type of shot"....what type of shot is this supposed to even be? There is no clear subject other than the sun. The rest of the shot is underexposed and holds no interest.

That is pretty much it, the sun in my sunsets is always blown out. I'm suspecting I need to use a filter or adjust my exposure.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2014 10:35 |  #8

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17110197 (external link)
That is pretty much it, the sun in my sunsets is always blown out. I'm suspecting I need to use a filter or adjust my exposure.

Don't shoot directly at the sun. Wait until the sun is just below the horizon. There's other options or is including the sun something you are trying to do in every sunset? It's not necessary and there are other subjects which will look much better when the sun is in that position.

Gear List

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2014 11:33 |  #9

Numenorean wrote in post #17111345 (external link)
Don't shoot directly at the sun. Wait until the sun is just below the horizon. There's other options or is including the sun something you are trying to do in every sunset? It's not necessary and there are other subjects which will look much better when the sun is in that position.

You can get great results by following this advice. Also, your first photo has a lot of "dead area" in the sky that is just wasted space. Consider cropping out areas of the sky that are uninteresting.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 23, 2014 02:06 |  #10

Numenorean wrote in post #17111345 (external link)

Exactly. Most of the time the colors happen AFTER sunset. ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

sponsored links

950 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunset, CC requested
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.