Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 21 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 03:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

so you want to work for NatGeo

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,898 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 21, 2014 03:10 |  #1

hmmm perhaps you might not want to after checking this list out

The Hazards of a National Geographic Photographer...

http://thephotosociety​.org/reality-check/ (external link)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 21, 2014 03:24 |  #2

TBH there's school teachers in my country who face similar dangers, maybe not buried by an avalanche but certainly being chased by wild animals. Cops and paramedics face far worse on a daily basis. Given the opportunity I would grab the chance to shoot for them without even thinking about it....

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,898 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 21, 2014 03:48 |  #3

yea perhaps where you live, but in NZ school teachers wouldn't get anything close to what's listed there in their day to day tasks.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 21, 2014 07:30 |  #4

I live in Johannesburg. A few weeks ago someone stole major parts from a 88kva pylon, service delivery protests are common where the chances of getting shot, stoned or tear gassed is pretty easy. Not many 4 legged wild beast where I live but a trip to a game reserve could see you having your car sat upon by an elephant. Hippo, croc and shark attacks happen fairly often. If you have lunch at the V&A water front the seals sit on the dock or pier with you. Not many snakes where our houses are but in the veld surrounding my town they are very abundant. The penis fish thing is something I would never want to experience though....

beartoothclimb
27 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 21, 2014 08:43 |  #5

Sounds like a good way to get yourself into some fun times.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 22, 2014 09:11 |  #6

I have a good friend who is a photographer there, she's been doing it a long time. She said the worst part of the job are the injections she has to get before taking off a shoot.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 22, 2014 09:38 |  #7

I recently watched a movie documenting some of James Balog's work: Chasing Ice. As a result, I bought several of his books (used and very cost effective). He routinely works for National Geographic. His work has affected his body quite a bit, much like an athlete, but his passion remains.

What an inspiration.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

1,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
so you want to work for NatGeo
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.