Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which ASA gives the best result?"
ASA 50
0%
ASA 64
60%
ASA 80
0%
ASA 100
40%
ASA 125
0%
OTHER
0%

5 voters, 5 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OT: Need help with some old film

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 17, 2014 14:37 |  #1

[Mods, move this if necessary]

I've been doing more and more analog photography, and earlier this week got 36 rolls of an unusual Kodak film. It's labeled as Kodak Traffic Flow Recording Film SO-370. There are two threads about this film online, one started by me on APUG, and one on photo.net.

The trouble with the film was 1) figuring out the ASA, and 2) how to develop it. I shot an ASA test, and then a developing time test (12:30 @ 74°F in HC-110 Dil H). I'm pretty happy with the developing time, so I'll be using that in the future.

What I can't decide on is which ASA to use. From 50 ASA to 125 ASA, the results look pretty good. Some darkening and grain at 100 & 125, but not enough to really call it bad. I was hoping I could get some opinions on what ASA you guys think looks the best.

I'm not looking for critique on the shots, as I know a few were out of focus. These were done on a Canon EOS 630, on a tripod, single constant daylight light on a stand camera right, Program mode, adjusting ASA from 6 up to the max of 4000, and letting the camera make the exposure adjustments based on the ASA change. Lens was an EF 50mm 1.8 MkI.

Just interested in what you feel is the most pleasing from the film aspect (grain, contrast, shadow detail, highlight retention, etc.).

Here is a link to the full test shot album with a contact sheet: http://s486.photobucke​t.com …Film/SO-370%20film%20test (external link)

If you select 'OTHER', please post which ASA it is that you prefer.

1) 50 ASA

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i486.photobucke​t.com …image0537_zps92​a254e1.jpg (external link)

2) 64 ASA

http://i486.photobucke​t.com …image0538_zps9b​848200.jpg (external link)

3) 80 ASA

http://i486.photobucke​t.com …image0539_zps4f​594880.jpg (external link)

4) 100 ASA

http://i486.photobucke​t.com …image0540_zps27​0cf78f.jpg (external link)

5) 125 ASA

http://i486.photobucke​t.com …image0541_zps96​4fd5d5.jpg (external link)

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 18, 2014 12:09 |  #2

This is virtually impossible to do on JPEGs, especially for slow films, where the grain is generally very small to begin with. However, I can give you some rules of thumb for B&W film:

1. Overexposing (i.e. decreasing film speed) will lead to increased grain. NOTE, this is *only* true of true silver halide B&W film; for C-41 B&W (and colour), grain decreases with overexposure. For all films, sharpness decreases with overexposure.

2. That said, you always want to err on the side of overexposure; exposure for negative film should always be keyed to the shadows. Negative film has enormous highlight latitude, but very little shadow latitude, so the old maxim holds true; "Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights".

3. These all look pretty much the same to me. You've only tested the film over less than a 1.5 stop range; that's nothing. Try shooting it at 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, and 800. Tri-X (for e.g.) will work well at all of these speeds (with the above caveats re: sharpness and grain).

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,163 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 19, 2014 09:06 |  #3

What's up with the finger in the 80 picture?

Website (external link) |

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,505 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 19, 2014 09:47 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #4

Dude, they are all good looking!
Just don't use digital mentality with film :)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,678 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 19, 2014 12:53 |  #5

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17105194 (external link)
What's up with the finger in the 80 picture?

I guess she really doesn't like that rating.

J ­ Michael
972 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 19, 2014 18:02 |  #6

Can't really tell with that test. You could make a more analytical test with a step wedge or just shoot it at 64 which looks fine - the deep shadow behind the right arm seems to have decent detail. I think the contrast is a little high and would back off a tad with the development, but if you're happy with it then go for it.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 19, 2014 20:42 |  #7

J Michael wrote in post #17106176 (external link)
Can't really tell with that test. You could make a more analytical test with a step wedge or just shoot it at 64 which looks fine - the deep shadow behind the right arm seems to have decent detail. I think the contrast is a little high and would back off a tad with the development, but if you're happy with it then go for it.

I'll just second this and save some time.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 21, 2014 19:37 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Best results of what? The ASA speed rating would affect the grain size and the shutter speed needed for handheld shots. ASA 100 is good all around for fast, and wide lenses. ASA 100 films can generate do fine at EI 200.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2014 08:18 |  #9

Answer is: depends on the make up/design of the film. There are poor ISO 100 speed films and great IS I 400 speed films. ISO isn't the main point of consideration.

sponsored links

1,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
OT: Need help with some old film
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.