Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 05:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My friend's Canon 5dm3 Died!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,813 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 20, 2014 12:48 |  #16

Yeah, Mike, having known him and called him friend I'd say for damn sure samerr9 is a better judge of his friend's character, and the likelihood of him being dishonest, than you are from where your sitting.
Nor does any of that have any impact on how he goes about getting service.
The odds of your armchair accusation being more likely than a simple failure of a complex circuit board?

Seems silly to post such an assumption and accusation. I doubt you'd do it to his face.
So keep it off this forum.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 20, 2014 16:10 |  #17

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17107263 (external link)
You know all electronics have at least a 5% failure rate no matter who makes it.

I'm a quality engineer and your (at least!) 5% figure made my head explode.

That's a 50,000 PPM* (!!!) failure rate.
No, just no.

Please don't make unsubstantiated claims like that...

* parts per million

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 20, 2014 16:30 |  #18

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17107635 (external link)
Yeah, Mike, having known him and called him friend I'd say for damn sure samerr9 is a better judge of his friend's character, and the likelihood of him being dishonest, than you are from where your sitting.
Nor does any of that have any impact on how he goes about getting service.
The odds of your armchair accusation being more likely than a simple failure of a complex circuit board?

Seems silly to post such an assumption and accusation. I doubt you'd do it to his face.
So keep it off this forum.

If you check closer, you'll notice that there were zero accusations in that post. So there can't have been any armchair accusations either. There weren't even any assumptions. ;)

If one of my cameras dies, I can't even myself know if I (or some visitor) have accidentally kicked into a camera bag. Or a guest have picked something up and dropped and then not dared to tell. It's a reality that there are lots of things that we just can't know about. Except that
1) Accidents happens
2) Things break even without known cause
3) No factory produces 100% fault-free products or even buys 100% fault-free components.

This is, however, a situation where I think Canon should ignore the warranty date and fix it. Because the probability is large that it was a fault from the factory. And even if the length of the warranty is specifically intended to limit how long time the customers should have for finding production faults there is still a question of goodwill when there are no obvious proof of misuse.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 21, 2014 01:29 |  #19

Mass produced, manufactured items do have a small failure rate and it doesn't matter what the item is. Hopefully your friend gets it sorted though.

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 21, 2014 11:32 |  #20

andrikos wrote in post #17108036 (external link)
I'm a quality engineer and your (at least!) 5% figure made my head explode.

That's a 50,000 PPM* (!!!) failure rate.
No, just no.

Please don't make unsubstantiated claims like that...

* parts per million

I'm sure he's right.. over a long enough timespan ;)

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

electricme
472 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 21, 2014 11:50 |  #21

MalVeauX wrote in post #17107434 (external link)
Heya,

This is where insurance that has a good policy for "who cares why it stopped working, replace it" comes in real handy so that you're not stuck with manufacture warranty issues when they run out and you're paying out of pocket.

Very best,

Depending on the deductable this might not help mine is 500... I mean saving a 150 is good but this is just one of those things. A good letter always helps. It also helps to give a link to a popular site that is read by thousands of photographers haha.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 21, 2014 13:03 |  #22

pwm2 wrote in post #17108080 (external link)
If you check closer, you'll notice that there were zero accusations in that post. So there can't have been any armchair accusations either. There weren't even any assumptions. ;)

If one of my cameras dies, I can't even myself know if I (or some visitor) have accidentally kicked into a camera bag. Or a guest have picked something up and dropped and then not dared to tell. It's a reality that there are lots of things that we just can't know about. Except that
1) Accidents happens
2) Things break even without known cause
3) No factory produces 100% fault-free products or even buys 100% fault-free components.

This is, however, a situation where I think Canon should ignore the warranty date and fix it. Because the probability is large that it was a fault from the factory. And even if the length of the warranty is specifically intended to limit how long time the customers should have for finding production faults there is still a question of goodwill when there are no obvious proof of misuse.

Thank you. I had to go back and look at my words and they in no way said someone was dishonest or anything else. I merely pointed out that one could not possibly know how the camera was treated. The OP knows what he was told, but as you pointed out, there are MANY ways in which a camera could get banged about in which one would not even realize.

samerr9
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 21, 2014 13:44 |  #23

I am back and read all the posts in the thread..

Thank you all for your input and I apologize to you Mike if there was a miss understanding by Cyber.

Regarding the insurance, we are in Dubai and and it is confirmed that only the warranty can fix it for free but unfortunately it is expired (1 year) also there isn't credit card insurance nor a law like in Europe.

I know this friend and honestly, he takes care of his cameras way more than I do. Like when we are out for shooting I don't mind changing the lens, he doesn't. I travel with normal bags, he has the mafia movie like protected silver bags with foam cut to fit the camera equipment to transport. Also he mostly do underwater photography once or twice a month only. So I don't think there was a miss use, also Canon repair center said via phone that there wasn't miss use nor electric mass to remove the water leaking probability.

Also, I think when I first posted the thread both of us were more emotional. As mentioned things happen. It is disappointing for such a pro level camera but still it can happen. He is convinced to pay and fix it, but he wants to sell it and get a new one. Which I told him that i am against because it will be fixed and he will only make his loss bigger plus the same thing can happen again. He is stuck with the 5dm3 because the housing of underwater photography is more expensive than all the lenses and cameras he has and it is hard to sell.

Regarding my concern about my camera, I had a great experience with the 5dm2. I bought it used and used it a lot almost abused. Like very high shutter and it fell many times and been to the beach, desert, snow and alot of travel and thankfully nothing happened and I sold at almost the price i bought it for after 3 years. When I remember that I feel better and more confident that the mark 3 will serve me a lot also.

Cyber, it is really good for you that they accepted to replace your 1dm3, which is even more expensive than the 5dm3 :)

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 22, 2014 16:49 |  #24

Shoshone, I agree with all your statements except the snide remark at the end about U.S. members. You were responding to Greg Siem, whose location shows Bangkok and I don't see the connection in U.S. members and Bangkok. From the responses it seems that U.S. members DO NOT enjoy the negative vendor response as you suggested.

It's ok to say oops, I misread if you like. :cool:

shoshone wrote in post #17107318 (external link)
Thanks for adding that info Sandpiper - I was thinking that (and we still don't know the buyer's location) Canon POTN might be a vehicle for getting Canon to be reasonable regardless of the territory - I for one remember all the posts regarding CyberDyneSystems struggle with a faulty 1DIII which eventually was resolved by Canon at their expense (though not without considerable public exposure on this forum) , it's no good folks posting bare statements like Gregg.Siam just did - what is needed is collective common sense with group distain for unreasonable responses from Canon. I for one would appreciate this group's collective support for such a problem if I couldn't get redress. However should this not gel with US members, then I'll leave them to their desserts if that is the culture of vendor response they expect/wish.
Jamie

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 22, 2014 17:29 |  #25

This is why you should always insure your gear.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 22, 2014 17:39 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

If your friend purchased the 5DIII on a credit card, that card's 'extended warranty' service may pick up the tab. I have that on my cards, but have never had occasion to test it.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

samerr9
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 22, 2014 18:12 |  #27

maverick75 wrote in post #17112170 (external link)
This is why you should always insure your gear.

I have to learn about insurance soon :)

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17112186 (external link)
If your friend purchased the 5DIII on a credit card, that card's 'extended warranty' service may pick up the tab. I have that on my cards, but have never had occasion to test it.

We asked and this option is not applicable here in Dubai.

Thank you guys for commenting..

shoshone
504 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 23, 2014 04:00 as a reply to  @ m3incorp's post |  #28

I may have clicked quick reply to Greg.siem's message if that's the case it was a mistake as I meant to reply to the entire thread as is evident in mentioning Sandpipers remarks with a mere aside to Greg.siem's contribution.

Regarding snide remarks about US members let me balance the books on this (my apologies if this isn't advancing the issue at hand).

Firstly I rarely contribute to forums as can be seen from my number of post (which is nevertheless higher than on any other forums) what prompted me this time is perhaps my innate sense of justice if we can call it that which goes along the lines that if it aint fit for purpose the manufacturer really should bend over backwards to rectify the problem and adhering to this rigid 1 year warranty is alienating a lot of people (notwithstanding there are customers who no doubt have little right to feel aggrieved due to their treatment of the goods).

Secondly suggesting that customer pressure on vendors via forums like this was a tad naive given Jake's experience.

Finally, and I can only refer to the USA on this one - US customers probably win out big time over us Europeans because in the UK in particular by the time the 20% tax is added to the price of goods we effectively get charged the £1 - $1 equivalent (translated this means we pay roughly at the exchange rate today 1.66 times what US customers pay give or take some variance is sales taxes.
Yes we Europeans pay Canon much more than US customers even before the 20% tax gets added and that tax is on the higher Canon price in the first place! (note some customers in certain countries pay no tax)
So does that balance the book a bit regarding the 'snide' remark you refer to (below)?
I am just as powerless to do anything about being charged more by Canon (or any other vendor) as you are to influence the warranty issue - it is therefore a big disappointment to me that forum members feel that this public forum has no effect of Canon's attitude and responses to what seem to be very valid issues.

"I'll leave them to their desserts if that is the culture of vendor response they expect/wish"

Sony: A7rii
FE16-35ZA | FE 55 | B85

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 24, 2014 08:17 |  #29

Canon Philippines covers a 3 year warranty on dslr cameras (except for 1d series), If they (CANON) can give that in our country, why cant they make it across the globe? Hard to understand them sometimes. Phenomenon as they always say? :-)

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 24, 2014 14:25 |  #30

shoshone wrote in post #17112751 (external link)
Finally, and I can only refer to the USA on this one - US customers probably win out big time over us Europeans because in the UK in particular by the time the 20% tax is added to the price of goods we effectively get charged the £1 - $1 equivalent (translated this means we pay roughly at the exchange rate today 1.66 times what US customers pay give or take some variance is sales taxes.

That may have been the case in the past but these days we do much better.

Today's price for a UK stock 5D3, for example, is £2,299 ($3,810) from WEX. B&H's US stock price is $3,399 (£2,051). The difference approximates just to the difference in VAT/sales tax.

I think grey imports have had a lot to do with evening up pre-tax prices this side of the pond.

sponsored links

4,190 views & 0 likes for this thread
My friend's Canon 5dm3 Died!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.