Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 21:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm a snap shot shooter

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 21, 2014 21:31 |  #1

That's it. Not a photographer. Just a snap shot shooter.
I really enjoy taking my camera to family gatherings and events.
There, I try to take visually appealing and memorable photos of family members and activities.

For instance, I went to Ironman Canada to photograph my son.
I saw him five times during the day for 10 to 15 seconds per time.
While in that window, I took around 150 pictures of him with the camera shutter mode on "continuous, 3 frames per second". Shooting good sports photographs is a special talent. Getting the focus sharp, panning properly, trading off ISO for depth of field... There is lots to learn and do. I won't make the cover of Sports Illustrated, but my pictures make a dad proud.

The other characteristic of a photographer that I don't have is the inspiration to take my camera and go out for a day to take pictures... of whatever takes my fancy. I seem to need the family connection.

Now the real challenge is controlling my Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I don't need a
5Diii or the wide aperture professional lenses of a serious photographer. However my lens collection would make a rookie professional salivate and the 5Diii is on my wish list.

So, since the resources are a little thin right now, I won't pick up a 85mm f/1.2L and a full frame camera but that day is coming.

Are there other self confessed snap shot shooters out there? What do you take pictures of? And do you have Gear Acquisition Syndrome?

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 22, 2014 05:47 |  #2

skilsaw wrote in post #17110508 (external link)
That's it. Not a photographer. Just a snap shot shooter.
I really enjoy taking my camera to family gatherings and events.
There, I try to take visually appealing and memorable photos of family members and activities.

For instance, I went to Ironman Canada to photograph my son.
I saw him five times during the day for 10 to 15 seconds per time.
While in that window, I took around 150 pictures of him with the camera shutter mode on "continuous, 3 frames per second". Shooting good sports photographs is a special talent. Getting the focus sharp, panning properly, trading off ISO for depth of field... There is lots to learn and do. I won't make the cover of Sports Illustrated, but my pictures make a dad proud.

The other characteristic of a photographer that I don't have is the inspiration to take my camera and go out for a day to take pictures... of whatever takes my fancy. I seem to need the family connection.

Now the real challenge is controlling my Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I don't need a
5Diii or the wide aperture professional lenses of a serious photographer. However my lens collection would make a rookie professional salivate and the 5Diii is on my wish list.

So, since the resources are a little thin right now, I won't pick up a 85mm f/1.2L and a full frame camera but that day is coming.

Are there other self confessed snap shot shooters out there? What do you take pictures of? And do you have Gear Acquisition Syndrome?

OK
but if your lens collection would "make a rookie professional salivate" and a 5DIII is on your wish list then maybe G.A.S. is possibly contagious

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,390 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 22, 2014 07:18 |  #3

skilsaw wrote in post #17110508 (external link)

You described me to the teeth.

Cranberry ­ Dad
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 22, 2014 09:02 |  #4

I am a longtime lurker on these boards, and don't really ever post, but you described me very closely, so I thought I would chime in as well. I have succombed greatly to G.A.S. Some could say I could work professionally with the equipment in my possession, but unfortunately the talent end of it is missing. Nothing better, though, than the joy of seeing that one great shot that you capture of your son on the football field at just the right moment of the play. And my teenager daughter is showing interest, so at least she has great equipment to practice with.

gewb
695 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 22, 2014 09:34 |  #5

Yup, that's me. I've had to control my GAS but what I do have I use and enjoy.

Since 2005 I've taken around 30,000 images and have many of them on my computer and external drive. Once in a while I'll share some images with friends, family or co-workers but I save them for the time when I can no longer get out to enjoy those activities.

"Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you"

Simon and Garfunkel

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,505 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 22, 2014 09:53 as a reply to  @ gewb's post |  #6

I don't need 85L, nor I need 5D MKIII.
I have 50L and 5D, to make difference for my family pictures.
And for snap shooting I have $40 payed, Lumix with Leica lens on it.
Works as good as 5D with 50L, if I'm in snapping mood :)

Yes, I periodically buy, often service, try, let an and sell the film gear in $100 range.
Currently working on pre-1948 Speed Graphics. Have to sell about six cameras, currently.
Got most of them as-is, made them working again.

My oldest P&S is 1916 Toronto made Kodak Brownie, btw.
Gives good contact prints.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 22, 2014 19:10 |  #7

Nobody 'needs' a 5D Mark III, it's a luxury. A good photographer can take great shots on a Rebel.
If you aren't taking good shots on your current equipment, don't upgrade. Equipment doesn't make better photos. A crappy shot at higher resolution is still a crappy shot.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 22, 2014 19:17 |  #8

I think the best cure for GAS is the sudden insight that it's you, not the gear, that produces the photograph. There's a great compulsion among photography types to underestimate this very basic fact. I think if one focuses on developing one's artistic eye and being one's biggest critic, one will develop GBATT* syndrome.

*Getting Better All The Time.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 22, 2014 19:20 |  #9

joedlh wrote in post #17112306 (external link)
I think the best cure for GAS is the sudden insight that it's you, not the gear, that produces the photograph.

Unfortunately that's not a cure for GAS. :( There are always other excuses.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 22, 2014 21:08 |  #10

I'm a snapshot shooter and until recently I've had the GAS completely under control.

Then I discovered the Fuji X-T1 and that incredible Fuji glass. $3600 later (I sold my Canon kit for about $4k) I'm hoping to start recovery.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Jedi5150
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 22, 2014 21:49 |  #11

I'm in the same boat. Photography is really not a horribly expensive hobby, even if you choose exceptionally good gear. Compared to something like golf, snowskiing, waterskiing, precision rifle shooting, and horseback riding, it can be downright cheap.

I'm the first to admit great gear doesn't make a great photographer. I just got a Sony A7r and 55 f/1.8 prime two days ago. I LOVE to pixel peep. I'm a pixel peeping fool and this camera was made FOR ME! :lol:

I don't take great shots, but I have great fun trying, and that's what it all boils down to. I would absolutely love to be a phenomenal landscape photographer and the truth is, I completely suck at it. I have no eye for composition, no skills to make the camera do what I want it to, and horrible luck with conditions. My informal portraits of friends and family blow my landscapes out of the water. But that's not going to stop me from a week long backpacking trip in the High Sierra in a couple weeks to take landscape shots. :D Because "THE ONE" shot is just over the horizon.

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 22, 2014 22:23 |  #12

joedlh wrote in post #17112306 (external link)
I think the best cure for GAS is the sudden insight that it's you, not the gear, that produces the photograph......

I just wanted to rule out the gear. :D

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 22, 2014 22:54 |  #13

Jedi5150 wrote in post #17112498 (external link)
.... but I have great fun trying, and that's what it all boils down to.

Agree 100%. For anyone who is not a pro.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 23, 2014 22:14 |  #14

ejenner wrote in post #17112553 (external link)
Agree 100%. For anyone who is not a pro.

Don't kid yourself, even the pros have fun trying ... :) :)

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 24, 2014 19:52 |  #15

I am pretty much a snap shot shooter also but I have a 5DIII and some decent lenses. I like to buy the best I can afford knowing that my skill level is far below the capabilities of my equipment, however, in the back of my mind I think I might someday catch up to the equipment's limits. I did buy my 40D new and thought I would never need another camera until it was stolen. I replaced the 40D with a 7D and then after a couple of years bought a 5DIII. I bought the 7D and 5DIII through the Canon Loyalty Program so I didn't spend as much as I could have and when you total up all the equipment I have bought it is still less than what I would have spent on a nice bass boat and that's the story I keep telling my wife and family.

In the mean time I will take lots of mediocre shots of my granddaughter though occasionally I will sneak in a great one and that makes it all worth while. I also enjoy nature photography, mostly birds, but don't really have time for much of that now. In a couple of years I will retire and then I hope to spend a lot more time trying to learn everything there is to know about photography and my equipment. With all that free time I figure I will be an expert in a couple of months.

Joe
5DIII

sponsored links

2,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm a snap shot shooter
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.