Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 15:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera bag for gears & 15" laptop as small 'personal' item w/ regular check-in bag?

chitro
61 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 14, 2014 15:37 |  #1

I used to have a tamrack aero 70 for my canon XSi with 28-135/3.5-5.6 lens, waterproof P&S camera, laptop, large tablet, and lots of other things. That thing was always loaded over 20lbs and never had a problem along with my regular carry on going through airports. I've expanded since and been looking for something to fit 5d3, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 35/1.4, flash, 15" laptop, and other small things for a day outing as well as small enough to accompany a regular carry on for flights.

I really like the crumpler karachi outpost bags (not the newest ones, but previous ones). The small doesn't seem to fit 15" laptop (can anyone confirm please?), the medium one might fit but not sure if it looks too big as a second item. The thinktank airport hard drive seems to work too, but looks boxy and also not sure if it's too big. What other options??

If you use a camera bag with laptop as a second item along with your regular carry on, what are you using? What do you think would work?

sponsored links
RandyAC
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 15, 2014 09:01 |  #2

I'm using a Billingham Packington for this. It's about the size of a briefcase. I chose it to hold as much stuff as I'd care to carry, but still fit under an airline seat. It should be about the right size for what you want to carry. Since I bought that, they've come out with a Hadley Large Pro, and the Photo Eventer which seem comparable in size so you might want to check those out. Fantastic bags.

chitro
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 15, 2014 12:33 |  #3

the Billingham bags are gorgeously elegant with price tags up there as well... right now I am checking out messenger bags with tenba (or alike) inserts. So far seems to be the lightest choice, but doesn't seem to fit what I need...

shutterbug ­ guy
202 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 15, 2014 18:32 |  #4

I use Thinktank's Shapeshifter for this purpose and it serves my needs perfectly. It'll hold 2 DSLR's 3+ lenses, a 15" laptop plus all the accessories and more if you choose. The nice thing about the bag is it's not boxy or bulky unless you overload it. It looks like just another backpack but the build quality is definitely superb. I usually carry just over 20 lbs. in it but have had over 35 lbs in it one time.

kpritts
329 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 21, 2014 22:26 as a reply to  @ shutterbug guy's post |  #5

I have used a Lowepro 300 AW Slingshot fully loaded with a laptop and ipad in the padded slot plus a full load of camera, lenses, chargers, cards, cables, etc. and never had a problem with it either as the main carry on or as a personal item addition under the seat. I mostly fly JetBlue but have also taken the same configuration on Delta with no problem.

KDPritts Photography (http://kdpritts.com (external link))
Canon 1D Mark IV, 60D; Canon EF 16-35L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L II, 100 f2.8L macro, 100-400L, 300 f2.8L; Canon 1.4x III extender; Travel Kit: EOS M2, 11-22, 18-55, 22, 55-200.

slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Aug 23, 2014 01:29 |  #6

Lowepro Classified 200 sounds like it would fit your needs. I happen to have one for sale here!

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 24, 2014 09:15 |  #7

Lowepro Stealth Reporter series. Bulletproof and in sizes for a 13" and 15" laptop. Professional use bags. Unlike all the wimpy bags I've seen recently that are meant to look like messenger bags, this baby is made for work. The construction is made to last years, as are most Lowepro items, and will easily hold your gear. I've been using the 200 and 550 for about six years now, without problems despite heavy use. Easily fits under the seat or in the overhead. If you don't want it to be so obvious, paint over the Lowepro logo with a permanent black marker.

You'll note that the strap connections are D rings and the straps are removable. Because I travel in some places where theft is common (like New York City), I've put Pacsafe 200 steel cable straps on all my bags.

Photos courtesy B&H Photo (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

photopat
569 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 24, 2014 13:23 |  #8

Thinktank urban disguise 50 or 60 may be a solution. I own both and I am very happy with them. And it doesn't look like 'hey I have expensive camera gear here'. That would be one of the disadvantage of the Lowepro brand that is well known in the consumer market for making camera bag.

toys list

cheffievrs
557 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2014 15:20 |  #9

Guragear Chobe, 2 pro bodies, couple of lens, 15" laptop and ipad

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08 (external link) http://500px.com/jswoo​d (external link)

sponsored links

1,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera bag for gears & 15" laptop as small 'personal' item w/ regular check-in bag?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.