Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Aug 2014 (Friday) 20:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use individual lens bags exclusively?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,901 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 22, 2014 20:39 |  #1

I have a few old point and shoot camera bags that I have been using, and after a recent lensrentals.com rental of two lenses that came in padded bags, I'm thinking about going this route.

Thinking one downside might be if I were constantly changing lenses, but I usually try to avoid that.

Pros/cons?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,373 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2014 20:59 |  #2

I have a few of the Canon lens bags and use them sometimes, but not often. They are kind of bulky, and it takes precious time to extract the lens when suddenly you need the lens.

So I sometimes use them when travelling. But when on the prowl for pics, more often than not I have a couple of lenses rattling around naked in a canvas bag.

When flying somewhere, I've been known to slip a lens into a sock, to minimize bulk.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Paulowen
128 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 23, 2014 01:50 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #3

I use the Manfrotto "Astuccio" lens cases - slightly padded and with full zip access. They fit - Rokinon 14mm, 17-40mm, 24-105mm, 24mm TSEII and the 70-200mm f4. They require extra time to use but at least it keeps my OCD at bay :D

Gear? Don't want my wife seeing how much kit I've got ;)
www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk (external link)

Demp223
37 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 23, 2014 04:58 |  #4

I use neoprene cases with draw string. Variety of sizes, thin enough to not take up extra space but thick enough to protect when out of bag. Nice hook on them to attach to belt for easy access when you know your going to want a different lens on the quick.

Canons- 70D w/Canon grip & T3i Gripped
EF-S Lenses= 10-22 / 15-85mm / 55-250mm IS II
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127641803@N02/ (external link)
http://www.Dempstergla​ss.com (external link)

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 23, 2014 06:08 |  #5

When I'm out shooting locally, I have a 'gym bag' with a camera bag insert to keep my 4 lenses and camera all nicely protected from each other.

But when travelling, I switch to individual Lowepro lens cases and sometimes a separate case for the camera body. But I also prefer to travel light. So I try to plan out my shooting and restrict myself to 2 lenses. If that's the case, I'll make sure that whichever lens is the larger, that's the case I'll carry on my belt with whichever lens isn't mounted to my camera as I'm out walking, riding, or whatever. The camera with mounted lens is on a strap over my shoulder.

So, yes, I have separate Lowepro cases for each lens I own (and used to own). But I only use them when travelling.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

Overread
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 23, 2014 06:11 |  #6

If my lenses are in a nice well padded and compartmentalised bag (like a lowepro camera bag) I generally just keep them in the bag itself, no separate casing around them. I do tend to keep some things like the Twinflash in its own cast since that helps contain all its parts into a neat little package that's easy to work with and pack.

I only use the cases lenses come in when I'm putting them into more regular bags which don't have compartments (or which I can't pad out).

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 23, 2014 06:31 |  #7

I have some lens bags which I found convenient to use for storage and travelling. UNTIL I discovered that they are a magnet for mildew.

JIM

RGNY
101 posts
Joined May 2014

Aug 23, 2014 07:15 |  #8

I use a padded big bag to tote all my stuff

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 23, 2014 10:34 |  #9

Hi HE'S GONE,

Over the years I have utilized almost all the lens bag & pouch offerings (from Lowepro's S&F Series and in the last approximately 5yrs or so the Think Tank's MODULAR & SKIN Series).
While everyone has to find solutions that work tailored to their diverse & specific needs, with time I've found: "less is more"... and now my primary solution for casual use, shoots, or events/weddings etc. (particularly for occasional air-travel/destination shooting), is just this:

Think Tank SKIN BODY Bag [Mfr# 052]:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Skin_Body_Bag_​Black.html (external link)
Use either on a non-photography belt, or a Think Tank SKIN belt, or with a thin Think Tank shoulder strap.
It nicely & comfortably holds two lenses, or a lens & a 600EX-RT, with a good front pocket for cell phone, ND & CPL filters, business cards, misc, etc.
(the bottom of this bag/pouch has a nifty/convenient zipper, thus expanding/elongating the bag/pouch length if one of the carrying lenses is say a 70-200Lf.8 IS mkII or something over 8.2". ID capacity is: 246-354 cubic inches).

and
If one camera then the Think Tank SKIN BODY Bag, in conjunction a with Peak Design CapturePro Version 2:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …pture_camera_cl​ip_v2.html (external link)

or

if two cameras, then Think Tank SKIN BODY Bag in conjunction with a Cotton Carrier VEST (with a Cotton Carrier HOLSTER).
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Camera_Vest_fo​r_All.html (external link)
(comfort & function are my criteria and am not bothered by appearance. If a venue implies an atmosphere of subtleness or a dress, then I will have a light/thin fashionable dress-jacket or something over my upper-half of my body, thus concealing the obviousness of the Cotton Carrier.
e.g.
-1DmkIII or 5DmkIII with mounted 70-200Lf2.8ISmkII on vest (with mounted 600EX-RT if no assistant)
-5DmkIII(2nd) with mounted 24-70Lf2.8mkII on holster (with mounted 600EX-RT if no assistant)
-85Lf1.2 in TT SKIN BODY bag
-spare 600EX-RT in TT SKIN BODY bag (for rim, backlight accent lighting effects, etc.)

The TT SKIN BODY Bag enables a lot of flexibility, with surprising great lens carrying capacity without bulk, that often lens pouches create (particularly the Lowepro pouches which offer fine quality protection at the expense of bulkiness).
For example: with the TT SKIN BODY bag, last weekend at an evening venue was shooting mingling people cocktail-style party, then was shooting them as a 90-person group photo (nicely & evenly lit with just 600EX-RT's).

You then spend more time shooting and no-time fiddling; the Think Tank SKIN BODY bag capably enables you to "get IN" and "get OUT" - to capture or create the image!

Just one view...

Mary

MARY

sponsored links

1,663 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone use individual lens bags exclusively?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.