Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Aug 2014 (Friday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bummer to see an awesome film go away

thecackster
915 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 22, 2014 00:58 |  #1

Kodak kills BW400CN (external link)

One of my favs!

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,141 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 22, 2014 08:04 |  #2

Never used it. I preferred Tri-X as did the article author. Nonetheless, things change and the past has to be let go. Even tho many lamented the passing of the horse and buggy at the time, I ask: would you prefer it over your car now?

But there are alternatives:

https://www.google.com …=photoshop+acti​on+bw400cn (external link)

Website (external link) |

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 22, 2014 10:53 |  #3

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17111101 (external link)
Never used it. I preferred Tri-X as did the article author. Nonetheless, things change and the past has to be let go. Even tho many lamented the passing of the horse and buggy at the time, I ask: would you prefer it over your car now?

But the horses and buggies have not been discontinued; you can still get them if you want them. Brand new, nonetheless.
Unfortunately, the same can not be said for this film.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sjones
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 22, 2014 12:25 |  #4

As long as black & white film is available (preferably Tri-X), I feel no obligation to let go. And should absolute inaccessibility occur, I might just let go of photography altogether.

Choice, it’s a good thing.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 22, 2014 12:45 |  #5

If you offered to buy enough of it at the right price then I'm sure they would be willing to do a custom run just for you.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,141 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 22, 2014 13:05 |  #6

Luckless wrote in post #17111631 (external link)
If you offered to buy enough of it at the right price then I'm sure they would be willing to do a custom run just for you.

LOL. Yep/ Considering the economics, cost, profit of manufacturing, I'm sure a large train boxcar full might at least start them considering the offer.

Where to store it? Well, I guess you could buy your own refrigerated boxcar and store it there.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,141 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 22, 2014 13:11 |  #7

sjones wrote in post #17111601 (external link)
Choice, it’s a good thing.

But you already have that, and some good ones, too! APS-C, full frame, Nikon, Canon, mirrored, mirrorless, and on and on... the choices are endless! ;)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 22, 2014 13:24 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Well, is C41 BW film. Is not really a truth BW film. So, it isn't that popular I supposed.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 22, 2014 20:47 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #9

I was given two expired rolls of it, day before they terminated it.
Who needs it if C-41 developing costs $5 at least.
I'll use those two just for curiosity, but nothing to miss, really.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2014 08:14 |  #10

I thought Kodak went out of business selling things off. Wasn't this the color film that was just printed b+w?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 23, 2014 09:34 |  #11

When I was first starting out, I shot a lot of BW400CN. It was mostly because I was just learning, and it meant that I could still take the film to Kroger to process it (as they only did C-41). I always thought that the real point of the C-41 B&W films were to allow processing by "normal" methods. I imagine as film becomes more rare and a specialty thing to process then it makes sense for these films to be the first to go.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 24, 2014 09:13 |  #12

No.

But you know what I do sometimes choose instead of a car?

A bike. Slower than a car, and takes far more work to use on my part. But it's fun to climb those big hills, sometimes.

Film isn't "the past", and it wasn't replaced by digital any more than watercolours replaced oil paints or bronze sculpture replaced clay. It is the choice of many photographers, including myself, who choose it for various reasons.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,019 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 24, 2014 09:25 |  #13

edge100 wrote in post #17114522 (external link)
No.

A bike. Slower than a car, and takes far more work to use on my part. But it's fun to climb those big hills, sometimes.

Film isn't "the past", and it wasn't replaced by digital any more than watercolours replaced oil paints or bronze sculpture replaced clay. It is the choice of many photographers, including myself, who choose it for various reasons.

I shoot digital exclusively now but totally agree. If I still had a darkroom I would still shoot film.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 24, 2014 10:08 |  #14

No.

Film isn't 'the past', but the days when it was highly popular and profitable enough to justify a huge range of options isn't here any longer. Costs will most likely continue to rise as shooting film remains as a bit of an unusual process practiced by a small handful compared to modern digital work.

As such, if there are three competing products which fill similar roles, then we can expect the least popular one to always be at the risk of getting canned. This is one of the reasons why I'm highly interested in doing my own chemistry entirely for film/plate work. If I'm the source of the actual product which I make from supplies readily available and used in other industries, then it is far less likely that I'll ever find myself unable to get my favourite product. It might mean switching suppliers, but silver or platinum of a set purity isn't going to be that different whether I buy it from supplier A, or supplier B.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 24, 2014 10:15 |  #15

No.

totally agree.
and looks like some Hollywood directors gets it as well.

read Martin Scorsese's statement, love his analogy about painters, should they give up canvases and paint now because there's digital painting?
http://blogs.indiewire​.com …on-of-film-stock-20140804 (external link)

We have many names for what we do – cinema, movies, motion pictures. And…film. We’re called directors, but more often we’re called filmmakers. Filmmakers. I’m not suggesting that we ignore the obvious: HD isn’t coming, it’s here. The advantages are numerous: the cameras are lighter, it’s much easier to shoot at night, we have many more means at our disposal for altering and perfecting our images. And, the cameras are more affordable: films really can be made now for very little money. Even those of us still shooting on film finish in HD, and our movies are projected in HD. So, we could easily agree that the future is here, that film is cumbersome and imperfect and difficult to transport and prone to wear and decay, and that it’s time to forget the past and say goodbye – really, that could be easily done. Too easily.

It seems like we’re always being reminded that film is, after all, a business. But film is also an art form, and young people who are driven to make films should have access to the tools and materials that were the building blocks of that art form. Would anyone dream of telling young artists to throw away their paints and canvases because iPads are so much easier to carry? Of course not. In the history of motion pictures, only a minuscule percentage of the works comprising our art form was not shot on film. Everything we do in HD is an effort to recreate the look of film. Film, even now, offers a richer visual palette than HD. And, we have to remember that film is still the best and only time-proven way to preserve movies. We have no assurance that digital informaton will last, but we know that film will, if properly stored and cared for

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

sponsored links

2,481 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bummer to see an awesome film go away
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.