Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 03:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Wedding

ResponseMediaNZ
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 20, 2014 03:54 |  #1

A couple of shots from my first wedding. Was shooting with a 5DII - 24-105mm & 7D with 55-250mm

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-4BLMMf5/0/M/i-4BLMMf5-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-2v8kKJf/0/M/i-2v8kKJf-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-LppGLJg/0/M/i-LppGLJg-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-pLk2Kcf/0/M/i-pLk2Kcf-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-2Vsqcrv/0/M/i-2Vsqcrv-M.jpg

Canon 7D - Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art - 70-200 F4L IS - EF 50mm 1.8 II - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and Other Goodies
Photos @ ResponseMedia (external link)
ResponseMediaNZ Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 20, 2014 04:25 |  #2

The first picture has a photographer in his T shirt and jeans, chimping in the background. Was he the main photographer or your second? If he was my second he would of been sent home to change that is not appropriate wedding wear! And if he was the main tog... Shocking!

Regarding the lovely shot of the officiate... Like you my first instinct is to be out of the way during the ceremony, you read on the internet etc. that you should be sniping from the back with a huge telephoto lens. The reality then is you end up with lots of shots like that backs of B&G's heads.

I soon got fed up of that, and now where ever possible we get in a position to see the clients faces.

Standing in front of the front row blocking guests views is not what I am suggesting, rather the officiate seems to have the best view... so we stand behind and to the sides of him/her.

Expose for the highlights, outdoors direct sun light on clothes is a nightmare, spot metering will help you pick the correct exposure in those tricky situations. At ISO 100-400 lifting the shadows is never a problem but one something is blown out too far (more than 1 stop) it is gone forever.

I understand that when putting photos up on places like this you need to watermark them, but a more transparent version will help people see the picture rather than your watermark.

Same thing applies when on your website for prospective clients they want to be able to enjoy the pictures. Internet thieves can remove watermarks very easily so its not really a deterrent.

ResponseMediaNZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 20, 2014 04:40 |  #3

jimeuph1 wrote in post #17106911 (external link)
The first picture has a photographer in his T shirt and jeans, chimping in the background. Was he the main photographer or your second? If he was my second he would of been sent home to change that is not appropriate wedding wear! And if he was the main tog... Shocking!

Regarding the lovely shot of the officiate... Like you my first instinct is to be out of the way during the ceremony, you read on the internet etc. that you should be sniping from the back with a huge telephoto lens. The reality then is you end up with lots of shots like that backs of B&G's heads.

I soon got fed up of that, and now where ever possible we get in a position to see the clients faces.

Standing in front of the front row blocking guests views is not what I am suggesting, rather the officiate seems to have the best view... so we stand behind and to the sides of him/her.

Expose for the highlights, outdoors direct sun light on clothes is a nightmare, spot metering will help you pick the correct exposure in those tricky situations. At ISO 100-400 lifting the shadows is never a problem but one something is blown out too far (more than 1 stop) it is gone forever.

I understand that when putting photos up on places like this you need to watermark them, but a more transparent version will help people see the picture rather than your watermark.

Same thing applies when on your website for prospective clients they want to be able to enjoy the pictures. Internet thieves can remove watermarks very easily so its not really a deterrent.

Thanks :) - This shot was family so was more of a 2nd Shooter / Different Prospective. The tog did get slightly more changed later but I agree it was shocking.

I normally shot Motorsport & Emergency Incidents so a wedding was out of my comfort zone but really enjoyed it.

Agree on watermark and I will remove them from site and make them more transparent.

Canon 7D - Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art - 70-200 F4L IS - EF 50mm 1.8 II - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and Other Goodies

bseitz234
497 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 21, 2014 07:31 |  #4

A couple thoughts:

I really like the first two. Backgrounds are a bit distracting in both (people in the first, chair in the second), but the expressions are great, and the subjects are brighter than the backgrounds, which helps them stand out. I wish the second was a little warmer and brighter- it just looks a tad gray and flat to me. But that's an easy PP fix.

3 and 5 the shadows are rather harsh. Maybe someone can advise what best to do about this... obviously the time of day and setting are completely out of your control, and walking around with a reflector to fill them just a bit would be out of place. Just something I noticed.

In #4, I can't tell what I'm supposed to be looking at. My eyes keep bouncing between the two gentlemen standing up, the guy in the foreground watching, the bride laughing, and the groom drinking. I think for a shot like this I would have zoomed in a bit more, cropping out the audience and getting the bride, groom, and groomsmen. Still captures a whole scene (rather than just two guys talking out of context), but I think would be a little more focused.

Finally, a question. Are the officiant and the groom related? I can't get over how similar their hair looks... Faces not so much, but I definitely paused a moment at the 3rd picture.

-Brian
5 EOS bodies, and constantly growing lens selection.
IG @bseitz234

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 21, 2014 11:45 as a reply to  @ bseitz234's post |  #5

I really like the style of your pictures. After a tons of "formal" ones, your pictures are "alive". Great memories.
Only in third picture I would prefer to see bride's candid face :) instead.

ResponseMediaNZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2014 14:19 |  #6

justamateur wrote in post #17109604 (external link)
I really like the style of your pictures. After a tons of "formal" ones, your pictures are "alive". Great memories.
Only in third picture I would prefer to see bride's candid face :) instead.

Here are a couple more of the B&G's Faces

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-37J7psb/0/M/i-37J7psb-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-cPssZXJ/0/M/i-cPssZXJ-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.responsemedia.co.nz/photos/i-7j5HxS3/0/M/i-7j5HxS3-M.jpg

ResponseMediaNZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2014 21:12 |  #7

bseitz234 wrote in post #17109113 (external link)
A couple thoughts:

I really like the first two. Backgrounds are a bit distracting in both (people in the first, chair in the second), but the expressions are great, and the subjects are brighter than the backgrounds, which helps them stand out. I wish the second was a little warmer and brighter- it just looks a tad gray and flat to me. But that's an easy PP fix.

3 and 5 the shadows are rather harsh. Maybe someone can advise what best to do about this... obviously the time of day and setting are completely out of your control, and walking around with a reflector to fill them just a bit would be out of place. Just something I noticed.

In #4, I can't tell what I'm supposed to be looking at. My eyes keep bouncing between the two gentlemen standing up, the guy in the foreground watching, the bride laughing, and the groom drinking. I think for a shot like this I would have zoomed in a bit more, cropping out the audience and getting the bride, groom, and groomsmen. Still captures a whole scene (rather than just two guys talking out of context), but I think would be a little more focused.

Finally, a question. Are the officiant and the groom related? I can't get over how similar their hair looks... Faces not so much, but I definitely paused a moment at the 3rd picture.

Thanks for the Critiques - Its great to get feedback being new to this game of weddings.

As far as I am aware they are not related.

#2. 3 & 5 have had post process on them in LR, so not the original just wanted to show the B&G some creative side.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2014 08:36 |  #8

Your white balance is all over the place making it look like you don't have control over your images. You must control the final images if your are to let your style be shown.

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 23, 2014 08:40 |  #9

ResponseMediaNZ wrote in post #17109868 (external link)
Here are a couple more of the B&G's Faces

I would take the shadow off in first picture, completely, or on bride's face to show her smile.

sponsored links

1,496 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.