Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 05:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

looking to rebuild gear list

Kingofdust
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 23, 2014 05:59 |  #1

So right now I am shooting with a Canon t3i and tamron 17-50 vc f2.8 as my primary. I want to upgrade to a 6d and quality glass, and I will eventually. But I travel a lot for my work and the more poratbale the better. I will only be home about 3 months total the next year or so, which is making me rethink the 6d until I am home more.

So my new plan is to get a mirroless system with two fast primes to start off. But I am stuck on the a6000 from Sony and the Oly e-m10. From what I gather they would probably both be a step up in IQ from the t3i. But what I am shooting is mostly landscapes, a good ammount of low light and some spontaneous portraits. Budget is around 1500 because any more and I'll just start putting the money towards a 6d. Main reason for not getting the 6d is size during traveling and it would be a 3500-4000 investment for what I want. I like the idea of having a smaller body and a big ff rather than two dslrs.

Any thoughts to help quell my doubts? I am leaning towards the a6000 with the sigma 19mm and either the 50 or 35. But the olypus 45 is apparently amazing, it's really this lens that is holding me back. Just throwing all this out there to see what you guys think. I have been out of the gear game for the last 2 years.

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2014 08:15 |  #2

Are you more concerned with having a "list" of photo gear or taking pictures?

Kingofdust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 23, 2014 08:34 |  #3

Bahaha, obviously taking photos, I just didn't know what to put as the title. I apologize for wording so poorly. My fault, obviously you don't know me and I don't have a presence on this forum, so I can see how you took it that way.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 23, 2014 08:48 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Kingofdust wrote in post #17112805 (external link)
So right now I am shooting with a Canon t3i and tamron 17-50 vc f2.8 as my primary. I want to upgrade to a 6d and quality glass, and I will eventually. But I travel a lot for my work and the more poratbale the better. I will only be home about 3 months total the next year or so, which is making me rethink the 6d until I am home more.

So my new plan is to get a mirroless system with two fast primes to start off. But I am stuck on the a6000 from Sony and the Oly e-m10. From what I gather they would probably both be a step up in IQ from the t3i. But what I am shooting is mostly landscapes, a good ammount of low light and some spontaneous portraits. Budget is around 1500 because any more and I'll just start putting the money towards a 6d. Main reason for not getting the 6d is size during traveling and it would be a 3500-4000 investment for what I want. I like the idea of having a smaller body and a big ff rather than two dslrs.

Any thoughts to help quell my doubts? I am leaning towards the a6000 with the sigma 19mm and either the 50 or 35. But the olypus 45 is apparently amazing, it's really this lens that is holding me back. Just throwing all this out there to see what you guys think. I have been out of the gear game for the last 2 years.

Kingofdust wrote in post #17112938 (external link)
Bahaha, obviously taking photos, I just didn't know what to put as the title. I apologize for wording so poorly. My fault, obviously you don't know me and I don't have a presence on this forum, so I can see how you took it that way.

You want to upgrade lenses, you don't "upgrade" you get new lens(es)

You say that you want to take more photos as oppose to getting more gear, so what was the purpose of the first post?

Kingofdust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 23, 2014 08:58 |  #5

The purpose of the first post was to ask if anyone had input on the a6000 vs the e-m10 that I might have overlooked in my research. I attempted to explain why I wasn't going with a Canon body, as this is a Canon forum. In my opinion a 6d is an upgrade from a t3i in all around quality. That's why I said upgrade, I suppose I should have kept the 6d out of the post because it distracts from the original question. I guess I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

Kingofdust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 23, 2014 09:04 |  #6

And as I thought I explained, I wanted a smaller body to "take more photos" as the bigger bodies don't work for me as I travel a lot and don't want to take a dslrs sized body with a bulky lens when I am going for work and not for photo stuff. Thus bringing us back to the end question of my first post, the mirrorless system. I posted this question in the general section as I saw other mirrorless questions here, and I enjoy the knowledge of This community even though I don't post here (now I remember why I don't). So that explains why I even asked the question to begin with. Hope this clarifies for you.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 23, 2014 09:19 |  #7

I get the dilemma here even if I don't have any experience with those particular bodies.

I have a T2i kit that is a little hard to take with me sometimes. Most of the time that means that the S100 goes with me instead. I have also been interested in finding something on the smaller side that could be with me more. I am looking at the fuji system as I am looking for more of a permanent solution.

Might I suggest renting first since you would be getting a new system? Lensrentals rents both the cameras you are looking at. This would allow you to be hands on with the cameras for a weekend or so before you make a decision. This is my plan with a Fuji X-T1 the next time I am going to have time to spend a weekend on photography.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Kingofdust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 23, 2014 11:51 |  #8

That's a good idea Matt, I would love to do that. It's going to be tight on time though as I will only have two weeks home the next time I am back from work. I will look into it though.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 25, 2014 13:44 |  #9

The X-T1 is a phenomenal choice but at $1300 body only and that amazing Fuji glass is pretty expensive as well. It didn't take me too long to hit $4k on my Fuji kit and that's just the body and 3 lenses. A high-quality mirrorless kit is still going to end up in kilobuck territory I'm afraid.

As to the OP. Your question was fine, your title was fine. For some reason people are ornery.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links

994 views & 0 likes for this thread
looking to rebuild gear list
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.