Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW vs JPEG

MrWho
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 23, 2014 12:39 |  #1

http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …photo-world/#.U_jJt_ldUjw (external link)

This article was a good read, although I have no clients, no one to answer to but myself. My T1i was producing very pleasing JPEGs, so what the article is discussing isn't exactly new. It's written from a business point of view, but the point can still apply to hobbyists. Why spend hours in front of a computer if you're not getting paid*?

I myself always use RAW + JPEG, usually posting SOOC or printing the JPEG version.

* - assuming you've got other things going on.

Gear

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,417 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 23, 2014 13:09 |  #2

MrWho wrote in post #17113284 (external link)
It's written from a business point of view, but the point can still apply to hobbyists. Why spend hours in front of a computer if you're not getting paid*?

Why spend hours doing anything for a hobby? Its a lot faster to buy a table from Ikea than to build one yourself.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 23, 2014 14:13 |  #3

...Why spend hours in front of a computer if you're not getting paid*?

Because you get better results by exercising artistic control (editing yourself) rather than letting a Canon/Nikon/Sony programmer decide what your images should look like.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 23, 2014 14:22 |  #4

Hmm, maybe I should stop using a DSLR, since my phone takes jpegs.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 23, 2014 14:55 |  #5

I myself always use RAW + JPEG, usually posting SOOC or printing the JPEG version.

Why shoot RAW if you only use the JPEG.

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 23, 2014 17:20 |  #6

to me, half the pleasure is derived from the processing. I liked the traditional darkroom, and i like the modern computer version as well

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Aug 23, 2014 17:23 |  #7

I shoot RAW because I'm not perfect, and find that I can improve pictures in Photoshop. RAW images make it easier for Photoshop to do a good job.

If I were a better photographer I might have less need for RAW

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,098 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 23, 2014 18:32 |  #8

You can put some very nice very affordable used all weather radial tires from a celica on your Mercedes if you want to. It will still get you to work.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 23, 2014 19:36 |  #9

yes but its my understanding that not all people are in love with the processing part of photography as it takes alot of time and work so they just stay with j-peg! i myself am still learning the raw processing/editing of digital photography to this day,and if i'm lazy i'll go to the j-peg's setting for a faster simpler way to do it..

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,598 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 24, 2014 00:45 as a reply to  @ blanex1's post |  #10

If for someone else, I'll take it in RAW.
If it is for family use, recently I switched to JPEG1 and really like it.
LR allows adjustments in JPEG1 without adding of artifacts.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 24, 2014 07:51 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #11

Why spend hours in front of a computer if you're not getting paid*?

I thought the whole point of a hobby WAS to spend hours at it. Very irrelevant argument.

I shoot Raw because, for my whole photographic life, I have wanted the very best quality "negatives" I could get for the darkroom (in my film days) and now for the software, so I can make the very best final "prints" possible for whatever use I have in mind.

It was a "business point of view" for me years ago, now it is almost exclusively a hobby. I still shoot stock, and want good files for that work, but mostly it's about simply enjoying all aspects of photography.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 24, 2014 15:05 |  #12

I have this personality problem. I really should get some medical advise for it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it is a kind of OCD. Whenever I do something, I always feel this urge to do it the best I can.

Elie / אלי

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,391 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 24, 2014 15:30 |  #13

My T1i was producing very pleasing JPEGs, so what the article is discussing isn't exactly new. It's written from a business point of view, but the point can still apply to hobbyists. Why spend hours in front of a computer if you're not getting paid*?

That doesn't mean you couldn't make them more pleasing by shooting RAW and being able to make more adjustments to them.

From the article posted: "We even dare to say that it is now so much so to the point where that if you know what you’re doing in the first place with your camera that you won’t need to shoot in RAW."

What arrogant hogwash. So, people who shoot RAW don't know how to use their cameras properly? You can't control all apects of the environment, unless you shoot 100% in a studio. I can pull out details in highlights and shadows in RAW that you just can't recover in JPEGs. There are other advantages, but that alone is enough for me to shoot RAW 100% of the time. I don't care if I'm just taking happy-snaps of my dog in the back yard. It's a hobby; I don't mind taking my time with it, and trying to get the best result I can.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 24, 2014 17:14 |  #14

I shoot RAW because I enjoy the editing aspect of photography! I like to use different processing styles to take the same photo and make it look different, unique. If I were going to only shoot JPEG and tweak the image just a little, I certainly wouldn't have spent the amount of money on photography gear that I have. Seems silly, but that's just me.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 24, 2014 17:28 |  #15

An important thing with raw - the programs can make JPEG out of them in almost zero time. So no need to invest hours. DPP can use the settings in the camera just the same as the camera can.

The difference with raw is that when it's needed, then it's also possible to ignore these "from camera" default conversion rules and invest some extra time to get a better result.

So with the cost of a bit larger files to store, raw can give almost as fast results. While adding the option of allowing lots of own tweaks.

Taking JPEG only is a bit like buying a new TV or computer in the shop and directly throw away the receit assuming that new gear is so good that there are no need for any warranty. Only access to the raw file allows that backup plan at a later time.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

8,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW vs JPEG
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.