Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 05 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeiss OTUS 55mm F/1.4 Apo Distagon T* ZE Lens for Canon

t60p
448 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 21, 2014 12:03 |  #181

Seth1983 wrote in post #17108869 (external link)
Hi everybody,

2. Go with the nikon mount and an adapter and the downsides of no fokus confirmation.

I would be fantastic If your could help me with the experience your gathert by using the lense.

Specally manual fokusing without fokus confirmation at 1.4 - 2.8.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Currently, all of my lenses have Nikon mounts, but I use them on a Canon 1D mark III with an F-EOS adapter.

I have never had a need for focus confirmation. I primarily use live view with this lens.

I prefer the flexibility to use this lens with Nikon and Canon camera bodies. I also prefer to have the option to change the aperture on the lens manually.

Will a Nikon mount lens meter on the 5d mark3? I don't know, but that is something else to be sure about before you make a decision.

Good luck!

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 21, 2014 13:38 |  #182

Hi everybody,

first I want to say thanks for all the effort your put in here to give others a fantastic impression of this lense.

Because of that I decided to buy one as well. The only decision I have to make is what kind of mount I take (Canon or Nikon).

I want to use the lense on my 5D mark 3 and I have two options:

1. Go with the canon mount with all the benefits (fokus confirmation etc.) but no chance to use the lense on a Nikon camera if I ever want to change.( I see the lense as a long time investement)

2. Go with the nikon mount and an adapter and the downsides of no fokus confirmation.

I would be fantastic If your could help me with the experience your gathert by using the lense.

Thanks.

Smart move and though I don't own this wonderful lens, I have been in your shoes and to make long story, I opt to go with Nikon mount.

Don't even be worry about AF confirmation.
First of all it is a joke to say the least.
Then for 55mm or wider focal length lens, you really don't need it.
Third, Once you learn how to critically focus with live view, you don't do anything else.
Forth, in the case that you have an intense itch for some bright red spot to shin when you are in near (NEAR) focus, you can always get one of these:

LINK (external link)

Other side of coin is that Canon mount lenses have much more customers as (Especially in USA) most photographers use Canon by far compare to any other brand so even if you switch to Nikon later on, you can sell it with a good return to move on with your future plans.

Best of luck and I really like your way of thinking.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2014 15:18 |  #183

Hi everybody,

first I want to say thanks for all the effort your put in here to give others a fantastic impression of this lense.

Because of that I decided to buy one as well. The only decision I have to make is what kind of mount I take (Canon or Nikon).

I want to use the lense on my 5D mark 3 and I have two options:

1. Go with the canon mount with all the benefits (fokus confirmation etc.) but no chance to use the lense on a Nikon camera if I ever want to change.( I see the lense as a long time investement)

Thanks.

I prefer Canon-mount Zeiss lenses. I use mine with both the Canon 5D III as well as the Sony a7R. In my opinion, the Sony a7 series cameras are the current ideal platform for Zeiss lenses because of the built-in focus peaking and focus magnification in the camera's superb EVF. Also, although the a7 is very small (and the Otus is huge) the lens handles awesomely on the a7 (with Metabones adapter) and the much lighter weight of the a7 greatly reduces shooting fatigue.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Seth1983
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 22, 2014 04:50 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #184

Thanks for the fast, numerous and helpful answers.

My tendency is more to the nikonmount because I can us it on a canon as well and I use the live view at problematic focus situations anyway.

@samsen: Do you have any experience with the adapter you recommended?

Thx.

Patras
171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Aug 23, 2014 18:25 |  #185

Well, one of the firsts shots taken with my new 6D/Otus 55. I think it's too early to have real conclusions but it is very promising so far

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3923/14817414718_bfa2ea8a72_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ozn8​ay  (external link) Gate to the Sun (external link) by PAM Photo graphie (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6D +Carl Zeiss Otus 1.4/28 ZE +Carl Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 ZE +Carl Zeiss Milvus Makro-Planar 2/100 ZE
Flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 23, 2014 18:27 |  #186

^Looks grate....I mean great!! :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 23, 2014 20:46 |  #187

Seth1983 wrote in post #17110891 (external link)
Thanks for the fast, numerous and helpful answers.

My tendency is more to the nikonmount because I can us it on a canon as well and I use the live view at problematic focus situations anyway.

@samsen: Do you have any experience with the adapter you recommended?

Thx.

Yes I do. In fact I have installed the chips only that is sold alone to back of some of my older adapted telelenses. They come in two different versions. The simple first generation ones (Older) that by default give you a set combination of focal length and F stop in your EXIF record, usually 50mm and F1.4 and you cant set it differently. Typically these are half the price. Then the newer second generation chips (Newer generation) that are programmable. You can set it according to you exact lens in use.
LINK (external link)
The only benefit is that it provides a correct set of numbers in EXIF for future reference otherwise has no impact on shooting by any means. These second generation chips are called EMF AF Confirm. However I must confess though the manual to set the numbers is in English or at least look that way, they are written in real Chines way and there is usually no way at least for me to set them right. So I stick with the cheapest If I have to get one.
But then as said before, these are only a suggestion for correct focus, not the critical focusing. I use most of my manual lenses for astrophotography and there is no use of any form of these chips or for that matter any AF lens. I know how to use critical focusing utilizing LiveView and there is no substitute for that. But then if specially you have eyesight impairment and feel these red dot AF confirmation (Suggestion) is of any assistant, you can surely use any one you like at very low price but again don't count on them. And I am pretty sure same goes with the chips installed by Zeiss too. I don't have the Zeiss version so if anyone has first hand experience please provide further input.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Patras
171 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 24, 2014 05:48 |  #188

David Arbogast wrote in post #17113772 (external link)
^Looks grate....I mean great!! :)

hehehe :) :)

EOS 6D +Carl Zeiss Otus 1.4/28 ZE +Carl Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 ZE +Carl Zeiss Milvus Makro-Planar 2/100 ZE
Flickr (external link)

Patras
171 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 24, 2014 05:49 |  #189

Another test. f1.4

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3877/14826183830_6b2756c107_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oA94​V9  (external link) Otus Test 2 (external link) by PAM Photo graphie (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)

Seth1983
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 26, 2014 05:28 |  #190

@Patras: Beautiful pictures, I´m looking forward of your first real experance report with the 6D+ Otus.

@samsen: Thx for all the infos now I have to do the legwork to find the right adapter but it´s part of the fun.

t60p
448 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 27, 2014 13:10 as a reply to  @ Seth1983's post |  #191

I use one of the adapters sold by cameraquest. Here is an article about adapters that might be useful:

http://diglloyd.com …/lenses-LensAdapters.html (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Miranda1
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 27, 2014 19:52 |  #192

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5583/15035231966_b30bc61331_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oUBu​Dm  (external link) Aveiro (external link) by jraposo3072 (external link), on Flickr

Aveiro Portugal.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, 135 GM,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

Miranda1
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 29, 2014 23:41 |  #193

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Andalucia (external link) by jraposo3072 (external link), on Flickr

Sacromonte, Granada Spain

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, 135 GM,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

Seth1983
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 01, 2014 03:18 |  #194

Hi,

so today was the day the order for the otus is out.

@t60p: Thx for the link it was very helpful.

Bean77
48 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 02, 2014 04:22 |  #195

David Arbogast wrote in post #17109958 (external link)
I prefer Canon-mount Zeiss lenses. I use mine with both the Canon 5D III as well as the Sony a7R. In my opinion, the Sony a7 series cameras are the current ideal platform for Zeiss lenses because of the built-in focus peaking and focus magnification in the camera's superb EVF. Also, although the a7 is very small (and the Otus is huge) the lens handles awesomely on the a7 (with Metabones adapter) and the much lighter weight of the a7 greatly reduces shooting fatigue.

I totally agree with you David. Zeiss lenses really perform suberb on the a7r. This camera is really working for you when you shoot with MF lenses.

Seth1983 wrote in post #17128935 (external link)
Hi,

so today was the day the order for the otus is out.

you sure will have a lot of fun with this great lens :)

Sony a7rII, 18mm Batis, 25mm Batis, Voitglander Nocton 40mm f/1.2, 50mm Loxia, 85mm Batis & 135mm Batis
My Gear
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

168,303 views & 110 likes for this thread
Zeiss OTUS 55mm F/1.4 Apo Distagon T* ZE Lens for Canon
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.