Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 11:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Background is not blurred enough

h14nha
Goldmember
2,070 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 21, 2014 17:58 |  #16

Hi,

Pay attention to your surroundings when shooting. It looks like a staged shot, not a random picture so when 'setting' you studio/shooting environment. look for a clutter free area. If you just moved to your right so the lamp wasn't between them, you would have had a nice neutral colour from the wall as your backdrop. Blurring the backdrop would have mattered less, a gentle blur would have diffused the wall into a light creamy colour great for subject separation.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links
Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 22, 2014 00:59 |  #17

windpig wrote in post #17109654 (external link)
did you go down and look at the comparison on the link? It shows the difference BETWEEN DIFFERENT FOCAL LENGTHS at the same aperture.

Yep, but the problem is we are not speaking about the same aperture ;)
The 100 f/2.8 cannot open at f/1.4 ... a difference of 2 stops aperture for only a difference of 15mm focal length , the 100mm f/2.8 will never have the blur of the f/1.4 with the 85mm and this is even more true on the near background (for the same framing) ;)

But, the 200mm @f/2.8 will have the far background (50 to 100 meters) with more blur than the 85mm @f/1.4 in this case due to the longer focal length ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

notastockpikr
427 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 22, 2014 07:11 |  #18

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17109586 (external link)
You---------------Subject---------------background

that would work better. :)

Exactly or....shoot in RAW and make the background OOF in PS. :D

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,498 posts
Gallery: 629 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2014 07:36 |  #19

This is what you need - http://www.mpbphotogra​phic.co.uk/canon-ef-1200mm-f56-l-usm-1 (external link)

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,773 posts
Gallery: 245 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 22, 2014 07:45 |  #20

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17110737 (external link)
Yep, but the problem is we are not speaking about the same aperture ;)
The 100 f/2.8 cannot open at f/1.4

What you're not understanding is that a) he wasn't specifically recommending the lens in the linked review and b) he wasn't engaging in an epeen measuring contest against you. He was simply linking to it for the example, as stated, 2/3 of the way down, comparing differing focal lengths at the same aperture and the effect that it has on bg blur.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 22, 2014 08:22 |  #21

WhyFi wrote in post #17111067 (external link)
What you're not understanding is that a) he wasn't specifically recommending the lens in the linked review and b) he wasn't engaging in an epeen measuring contest against you. He was simply linking to it for the example, as stated, 2/3 of the way down, comparing differing focal lengths at the same aperture and the effect that it has on bg blur.

Hum ... i red back all, and effectively, it seems i wasn't on the same wave, my bad :o
windpig i'm sorry

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 22, 2014 09:13 |  #22

snake0ape wrote in post #17109594 (external link)
Practice with the 50mm at f1.8. Shoot subject with far background and near background and in between. Shoot subject at closer distance with far background and near background and in between. Find the right mix that will make you happy. Your lens should do the job you want. If not good enough, try the 85 f1.8.

right, like others have said you have to get closer to your subject and the background further away for more 'blur'

60D
50mm 1.8 mkII
f2.5

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5535/10690250003_588928412f_b.jpg

windpig
Chopped liver
14,998 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 22, 2014 13:11 |  #23

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17111132 (external link)
Hum ... i red back all, and effectively, it seems i wasn't on the same wave, my bad :o
windpig i'm sorry

No problem, I've been in the same "off wave" situation.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 22, 2014 13:22 |  #24

Others have already suggested the correct way to get what you want. The one thing you are assuming that has not been explicitly said here is that a wide aperture does not automatically mean shallow depth of field.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

clarnibass
796 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 24, 2014 00:39 |  #25

MadyGuzzz wrote in post #17109515 (external link)
I am using my 50mm at 1.8 and the background is very clear! Why is that if I am using it at the lowest aperture? Is it my lens or is it me?

What lens would you recommend for family/group portraits where I can get the blurred out background?

50mm f/1.8 is excellent for this. You can get more background blur with longer lenses, but the question is if you have the space ot use them for the frame you want. If you can change the frame you can also make the background more blurry with this lens in the way others suggested.

Re the depth of field that some linked to, that's different. For the same magnification/frame, 50mm at f/1.8 will have shallower DOF than 200mm at f/2.8, but the latter would have a blurrier background.

For the photo you posted, it's difficult to say because we don't know how the room looks like in the parts outside the frame. Possibly you could move them a bit to the left (or maybe even keep them wheere they are) and move more to the right. Remove the lamp and window from the frame (or maybe just keep the lamp on the right, see what you prefer). Stand as farther away as you can, then have them move towards you as much as you are willing to accept the frame i.e. possibly leaving less space above them and/or under them. It's nice that one of them is sitting on the table like that, so you can move the table, or get another chair, or have them both stand, etc.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 24, 2014 00:42 |  #26

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17109529 (external link)
The focal length is too short, you are too far from them and they are too near the background ...

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX

^^^^ I Agree FL to Short Forground is also not corect

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

MadyGuzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 09:35 |  #27

clarnibass wrote in post #17114149 (external link)
50mm f/1.8 is excellent for this. You can get more background blur with longer lenses, but the question is if you have the space ot use them for the frame you want. If you can change the frame you can also make the background more blurry with this lens in the way others suggested.

Re the depth of field that some linked to, that's different. For the same magnification/frame, 50mm at f/1.8 will have shallower DOF than 200mm at f/2.8, but the latter would have a blurrier background.

For the photo you posted, it's difficult to say because we don't know how the room looks like in the parts outside the frame. Possibly you could move them a bit to the left (or maybe even keep them wheere they are) and move more to the right. Remove the lamp and window from the frame (or maybe just keep the lamp on the right, see what you prefer). Stand as farther away as you can, then have them move towards you as much as you are willing to accept the frame i.e. possibly leaving less space above them and/or under them. It's nice that one of them is sitting on the table like that, so you can move the table, or get another chair, or have them both stand, etc.

Awesome thanks so much for the tips! :)

photojohn
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 10:00 |  #28

Yes, that is a good question that I worked through some time ago. Trying to get a lot of space behind your subject will also help with blurring.

Lancaster PA Wedding Photography (external link)

leemik
118 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 25, 2014 12:02 |  #29

The sensor size will also determine the amount of blur you get.. a camera with a 1.5 crop using the same lens will have slightly less bokeh than the lens on a full frame camera.. It's the reason why you almost get no blur from the cheap point and shoot cameras.

my gear (external link)| my flickr (external link)

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 25, 2014 12:11 |  #30

leemik wrote in post #17116706 (external link)
The sensor size will also determine the amount of blur you get.. a camera with a 1.5 crop using the same lens will have slightly less bokeh than the lens on a full frame camera.. It's the reason why you almost get no blur from the cheap point and shoot cameras.

You will get the same blur. Same lens, same distance from subject. Then the bokeh will be the same. The difference is that the subject is larger in the photo on a crop camera compared to a full frame camera.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

sponsored links

10,980 views & 0 likes for this thread
Background is not blurred enough
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.