Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 06:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Canon losing the War ?

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2014 14:08 as a reply to  @ post 16756059 |  #151

I find it convenient to shoot some video amidst the stills. Great for family and kids sports, for me.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2014 14:32 |  #152

sjones wrote in post #16756101 (external link)
I use a rangefinder, and currently, I don't foresee using any other type of camera. But who knows, in the future, I might want to try a twin-lens reflex to muck about with a square format.

If you have not tried the twin lens, try it. You may love it. My departure from 35mm, and my first step into more serious photography was a Yashica 120 in sq format that simply was a joy to use and produced very nice negatives. It was a $15 purchase from a flea market at kept me engaged for quite a while. The main limitation was the various focal length capability.

Enter the Mamiya 645 with three lenses. now I could play with different perspectives and still get great negatives. Hell, If I am developing my own film, why not 6x7. My Mamiya RB67 was fabulous. I traveled around the world with that beast and three lenses (all bought used/cheap).

Then I asked, why not 4x5. Woo, what a world of change with huge negatives, lens movements, back movements and precise controls. I loved my Sinar f2 and I could buy lenses left and right for only a couple of bucks, that produced stunning images. Now I am producing fantastic images (for me, mind you) but I am hauling a heavy tripod, Sinar f2, 5 lens plates, 20-30 4x5 backs (as I only loaded/unloaded in the darkroom to control dust), spot meter, hoods, screens, loops, etc. Great setup for landscapes but not going to work for street photography. So I kept the RB67 for street.

Maybe I am finally getting to realize why I went the convenience route. My 4x5 kit and 6x7 kit probably weighed 40-50 pounds and filled a small truck. Then I went digital, kicking and screaming.

Try the TLR but resist the slippery slope:lol:

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 13, 2014 14:56 |  #153

single_track wrote in post #16756161 (external link)
If you have not tried the twin lens, try it. You may love it. My departure from 35mm, and my first step into more serious photography was a Yashica 120 in sq format that simply was a joy to use and produced very nice negatives. It was a $15 purchase from a flea market at kept me engaged for quite a while. The main limitation was the various focal length capability.

Enter the Mamiya 645 with three lenses. now I could play with different perspectives and still get great negatives. Hell, If I am developing my own film, why not 6x7. My Mamiya RB67 was fabulous. I traveled around the world with that beast and three lenses (all bought used/cheap).

Then I asked, why not 4x5. Woo, what a world of change with huge negatives, lens movements, back movements and precise controls. I loved my Sinar f2 and I could buy lenses left and right for only a couple of bucks, that produced stunning images. Now I am producing fantastic images (for me, mind you) but I am hauling a heavy tripod, Sinar f2, 5 lens plates, 20-30 4x5 backs (as I only loaded/unloaded in the darkroom to control dust), spot meter, hoods, screens, loops, etc. Great setup for landscapes but not going to work for street photography. So I kept the RB67 for street.

Maybe I am finally getting to realize why I went the convenience route. My 4x5 kit and 6x7 kit probably weighed 40-50 pounds and filled a small truck. Then I went digital, kicking and screaming.

Try the TLR but resist the slippery slope:lol:

Thanks for the recommendations! My financial deficiencies will probably prevent a surge, but I can see the temptation of trying out different formats.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 13, 2014 15:03 as a reply to  @ sjones's post |  #154

I lugged an RB67 at many a wedding and with a Metz CT60 to boot. Awesome camera. It's one of the reasons I plumbed for a 6D - I believe and have lived the difference a larger format can make and "FF" is the largest digital format I can afford. It's a bit different in the digital world, but much less different than small sensor fans would have you believe, IMHO. Larger is better in many ways.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

electronpusher
95 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 13, 2014 16:32 |  #155

I never went beyond 6x7, but I used to lug around an RB67 for a lot of years, and used it in the studio as well. If you've ever seen a 16x20 Cibachrome print made from the RB's 6x7 transparency, it's a beautiful thing to behold, although a bit contrasty for portrait work. It's probably why I'm so picky about digital noise today. I just rebought another RB kit with a few lenses from ebay for fun - prices are a steal, and I'm looking forward to seeing some digital scans from the transparencies. Digital backs are way out of my price range. When I mind the weight and size, I think about Ansel Adams...

Canon 5D mkII (gripped) | Canon 1D mkIII | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/2.8 II L | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 L | 17-40mm f/4 L |100mm f/2.8 L Macro | 50mm f/1.8 II | Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DGX | 600EX-RT
Contax RTS
| Zeiss T* 18mm f/4 | T* 35mm f/2.8 | T* 50mm f/1.4 | T* 85mm f/1.4 | T* 135mm f/2.8 | T* 200mm f/3.5 | Fotodiox chipped adapters, Contax/Canon

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 13, 2014 16:55 |  #156

David Arbogast wrote in post #16756096 (external link)
A DSLR is already a video camera. There is no escape, resistance is futile.

I also share your desire for a photography-only camera body, but it's about as likely as a photo op with a magical fairy riding on a unicorn fleeing from angry army of garden gnomes.

Funny you should mention that. I just saw this yesterday but even though my 7D was right on the money with the focus, all that APS-C Canon noise was just too unbearable to show anyone so I deleted the files.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 14, 2014 13:18 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #157

Yea, Ciba is high contrast generally. Wouldn't be my choice for portraits for customers off the street looking for a stereotypical end product. We used to use lens diffusers to smooth the portrait images from our RB67's because the dang thing was so (too?) sharp. Digital these days, FF or (even) crop, is sharp enough to do the same and warrent softening depending on the subject and the desired result.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,437 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 14, 2014 13:45 |  #158

kfreels wrote in post #16756478 (external link)
Funny you should mention that. I just saw this yesterday but even though my 7D was right on the money with the focus, all that APS-C Canon noise was just too unbearable to show anyone so I deleted the files.

:lol:

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sportsnewstoday2
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 24, 2014 18:03 |  #159

I agree with the post on becoming a gear head. Does the old camera take great pictures for websites and emails? Does it make nice prints for display? I use very old low mp cameras. I had an image purchase for $300.00 dollars at a Church auction. I do not believe that a newer camera would have made that image look any better in the print format. By the way the print size was 24 x 36, it will take a great salesman to get me to upgrade to a more modern digital camera. The one thing I would love is more ISO capabilities, but that within itself is not a reason for me to upgrade. I have seen so many pro-photographers and amateurs who are always upgrading to the latest greatest cameras with no improvement in their images.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,868 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 24, 2014 18:23 |  #160

sportsnewstoday2 wrote in post #17115313 (external link)
I agree with the post on becoming a gear head. Does the old camera take great pictures for websites and emails? Does it make nice prints for display? I use very old low mp cameras. I had an image purchase for $300.00 dollars at a Church auction. I do not believe that a newer camera would have made that image look any better in the print format. By the way the print size was 24 x 36, it will take a great salesman to get me to upgrade to a more modern digital camera. The one thing I would love is more ISO capabilities, but that within itself is not a reason for me to upgrade. I have seen so many pro-photographers and amateurs who are always upgrading to the latest greatest cameras with no improvement in their images.

People are much more charitable at an church auction, that doesn't mean the photo was of the caliber to sell in normal art venues. I have done the same thing, but I know that the pictures could have been much better with different equipment. :)

By the way, you only need a 6mpx image for a 24x36, more resolution gives you more flexibility in cropping and still having enough to print a 24x36. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sportsnewstoday2
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 24, 2014 21:54 |  #161

True point about people giving at auctions,. But trust me the quality was high. I am a retire professional photographer who has been published in magazines and newspapers. Due to my training I would not put up anything that is not magazine or newspaper quality. I know there are cameras that can take better pictures when viewing with a lupe or at a 100%, but for most people the images are not published or printed. I guess what I am trying to say is that the average amateur does not need the latest or greatest because the forums they are using to display their images are not going to show that much detail. How many amateurs are ordering or selling very large prints? Ansel Adams the great outdoor photographer's equipment is antiquated compared to today's standards yet, there are very few photographers who could come close to his work [darkroom etc.] more power to those who love spending money on the latest greatest. I have no issues with them. I have a pro friend we used to shoot together years ago. People purchase large prints from him often paying top dollar for those enlargements. He is using a 10 year old camera. He is about a professional as one can get, an 100% of his income comes from photography. As long as I have known him he never invested in the most expensive cameras, but he spends top dollar on his lens and used them until they fall apart. He just recently purchase a new 70-200 L-lens because his 20 + lens just stopped working. His work is truly amazing! By the way guys this is just my opinion, it worked for me when I was shooting pro and it works for me as a retire photographer. So no argument from me on those who love the latest greatest. Sometimes obtaining equipment is just as fun as making images. Take care fellow photographers. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this group.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,868 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 24, 2014 22:21 |  #162

It sounds like your equipment works for what you shoot. Others, like myself, need the capabilities of the latest models for what we shoot. I am not sure how this pertains to the marketing edge of one company versus another though. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 24, 2014 22:36 |  #163
bannedPermanent ban

Ronnie H wrote in post #16740712 (external link)
Or just some of the battles ?? seem like Sony & Nikon and others are offering more in new features and improve AF, metering,,& IQ ??
Whats your thoughts ?
Looking to get a newer dslr,,my 40D is still very good but getting out-dated,,i have looked at the 70D & Nikon D7100 and reviewing some of the Sony cams?
Superzooms?? I have the SX50HS and like it,,but the new Nikon P600 and the new Sony look good also?

Just asking what you think
------
Ron

yap...

the only thing that Canon still has is the name recognition and lenses.

Gear List

Avo
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 24, 2014 23:47 |  #164

What might be interesting to know is Canon's thoughts and plans on their sensor technology. I am surprised no one has yet popped a question or two to their executives (during events etc) by now about how their sensors are now behind the competitors'. If they have something up their sleeve, they would probably drop a small hint or something. An assuring smile or a break of sweat, whatever...

5D Mark III, Sony A7R
EF24-70 f/2.8 II, EF70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Sigma 35 f/1.4
SEL35F28, SEL55F18

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 24, 2014 23:50 |  #165

andrikos wrote in post #16755849 (external link)
OK, sorry for my O/T. Last post.

$5 and a $60 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon* (unknown to you and the test administrator) of:
1) the same vintage. The older the vintage, the harder it will be to discriminate the two.
2) from the same wine region (Napa, Chile, South Africa, Australia, your choice)
3) Produced and cellared under similar or identical conditions.
4) Bought at the same time and cellared under identical conditions.

The test is administered by a (knowledgeable) neutral observer who knows how to serve wine. Bottles are covered to be concealed by all prying eyes.
Wine is decanted under identical conditions for both, poured in identical glasses and served to the "contestants".

Also, 2 triangle tests are set up where you pour 2 glasses of the same wine with the 3rd glass being the other wine. The simple task is to identify which two glasses are one wine and which is the 3rd.

If anything else, it's a lot of fun to see how overwhelmed palettes get when the brain is involved.
As you go through your SNPCs you'll find yourself overwhelmed if you're not a seasoned veteran.

That should give you a nice start. :)
Have fun!

* I chose Cab for its robustness. It's easier for beginners to identify.

More of a Shiraz drinker myself ;)

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links

45,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is Canon losing the War ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.