Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question on balancing flash with ambeint Sekonic L357

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 24, 2014 08:52 |  #1

So I just picked up my first meter yesterday an L358. While ive been trying to study as much as I can regarding balancing flash wiht ambient outside the question I had though regarding flash % contribution was this.

I was watching a Sekonic video with Joe Brady and he had a question asked that was something like" When I get my readings do i have to meter the ambient and then switch to flash and meter the flash to seem my contribution." Joe said yes etc but wont the meter automatically give you the flash % if you just take a flash reading? It seemed to for me yesterday. Then i can adjust shutter accordingly.

I also know that if im trying to balance that i would normally take am anbiemt reading from my camera to expose for the sky but after i have my settings say 250 and f11 iso 100 then I have to meter the flash and adust up or down until i reach that f11?

I don't want ot thing about what i need to do in order the obtain the more shallow DOF i would normally be after since i usually like to shoot more wide open.. however since i was just using my speedlight in a 25x25 softbox i know my options are only HSS etc... when i get my strobe out then its different i would imagine..

One last thing... regarding sync speed.. since i Know mine is 250 then would it be advisable to start there and adjust as needed (as long as i don't have ot adjust up) lol

Thank you!

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 24, 2014 09:07 |  #2

Please take another look at your meter. I doubt that it's a Sekonic L357. I've never heard of that model except by a blogger who apparently didn't get it correct. Once we know for sure what you have, folks can help.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 24, 2014 09:09 |  #3

Good catch Skip, sorry slip of the finger... I meant Sekonic 358

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 24, 2014 17:29 |  #4

The % is in the right corner. you will adjust the shutter and and the flash power till it reads 50%

I AM SHOM

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 24, 2014 18:34 |  #5

Abbadon thanks but do i need to take the ambient at all because the flash reading gives me the % so why have I seen some videos saying take the ambinet first from the meter and not the camera, then take the flash meter next to get the %

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 24, 2014 18:38 |  #6

there are many ways to cook a fish, everyone has their own way of doing things.

I AM SHOM

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 24, 2014 18:40 |  #7

Only take ambient if you are trying to balance ambient with flash. If flash is the dominant light source, just meter for that.

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 24, 2014 19:40 |  #8

Oldschool, yeah ill be shooting outside so trying to balance with either ambient (sky, if not too bright) or just outside ambient.... so am i taking the ambient exporsure first becuase the flash meter mode gives me the % so is it also taking the ambient exposure first... (how could it since the flash is so quick)

And if im taking it first, is the meter remember what one mode says vs another

adammazza
505 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 25, 2014 07:50 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #9

With my Sekonic 478, I meter in flash mode. This will tell me the flash contribution. No need to measure in another mode (Av or Tv) first.

Obviously it depends on what you're going for, but when I'm shooting portraits I find I usually end up around 20%-40% for a realistic look.

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100T, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X70
Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4
Fuji 16mm F/1.4, Fuji 35mm F/1.4, Fuji 56mm F/1.2, Fuji 16-55 F/2.8

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2014 08:47 |  #10

So that's true if I'm measuring for the ambient sky behind my subject. That way I would use my cameras meter to find exposure for sky. Thrn I still have to meter for flash and adjust accordingly to taste but have that at least be my 20-40 approx. sound about right?

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 25, 2014 11:17 |  #11

why would you use your camera meter
when the l358 reads it all at once
L358 is going to give you a more accurate reading then your camera will

I AM SHOM

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 25, 2014 12:51 |  #12

https://www.youtube.co​m …xJvwcmADg&featu​re=related (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2014 13:54 |  #13

Digital paridice! Thanks guys so I've watched all of marks videos a me in several he literally uses the cameras meter and exposes over the shoulder of the subject thrn brings out his meter and exposes for flash.

Abbadon are you saying that I can use the meter pointed at sky and get a good ambient reading?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 25, 2014 14:12 |  #14

digitalduck wrote in post #17116922 (external link)
Abbadon are you saying that I can use the meter pointed at sky and get a good ambient reading?

If you are using a handheld meter set up for incident (as opposed to reflected light) readings, that is true. An incident meter is typically pointed at the light source from the subject's position to measure how much light is falling on the subject.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2014 14:27 |  #15

I think I'm making my meter do something it can't. So if I'm trying to grt a proper exposure of the sky behind the subject im able to point the some towards a bright highlighted area of the sky and grt an incident racing and grt a somewhat proper exposure the. Get a flash reading off of subject. I guess I only though I needed a spot attachment to do that?

sponsored links

2,336 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question on balancing flash with ambeint Sekonic L357
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.