Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GPS ?

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Aug 24, 2014 19:14 as a reply to  @ post 17115327 |  #31

I find the GPS is also quite useful at conditioning my batteries, they always seem to be completely flat after not using my camera for a couple of days :p

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

sponsored links
Sin ­ City ­ Stan
99 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 24, 2014 20:40 |  #32

When hiking 5-10 miles into the wilderness it's handy to have geotags on the 100-400 photos that will be captured when it comes time to organize them. My 6D has this option and I use it all the time. I also use ML to shut it down when the camera is off.

Works for me.

Sin City Stan
Canon 6D & 5D3 EF24-70L 2.8 EF17-40L 4.0 EF70-300L 4.0 EF50 1.8
Yongnuo YN-560 II, 565 EX & Canon 430 EX
http://creationsbysinc​itystan.smugmug.com/ (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 25, 2014 04:46 as a reply to  @ Sin City Stan's post |  #33

I use GPS almost all the time too. You can always remove the information from a picutre easily, but putting it in there when you don't know where the image was taken is much more difficult.

The last few years I've used different combinations of equipment to geotag the images.
7D with WFT-E5B and Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx connected via USB cable.
7D with WFT-E5B and Kensington bluetooth adapter to connect to wayfinder BT equipeed GPS puck.
7D with Canon GP-E2 connected via cable.
1DX with GP-E2 connected via flash hot shoe.
1DX with GP-E1 connected to system expansion port.
1DX can also connect with Bluetooth to the GPS puck through the WFT-E6B wireless network/Bluetooth expansion module.

Using the GP-E2 in the hotshoe of the 1DX means immediate geotagging of the images taken with that camera. At the same time, the GP-E2 can also log the position, so other camera used at the same time can get that position stored into the Exif data by running a geotagging utility on the computer, where the time the image was taken is compared to the most similar position recorded by the GP-E2.

Both for my own good, when I'm for example away working in different places, and when I post images used to document the sports club's activities at different locations, the geotagging is very handy. One can easily see all images taken at a specific location, where a certain sports event took place, or easily get an overview of where the club has been active during a year, for example.

Anders

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 25, 2014 09:55 |  #34

FoxTrot wrote in post #17113629 (external link)
Camera GPS is really more of a novelty than anything. I leave it off on my 6D. Maybe I'll start using it more just for the heck of it. I suppose it might be nice if a person was traveling and wanted to recount exact places they visited (whether around cities or in the wild).

In June I spent three weeks traveling around Greece and the Greek islands. I took about 2,000 pictures. In my old age it is nice to have a record of exactly where I was when I took a shot. I certainly can't remember every place even with a time/date stamp.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 25, 2014 12:03 |  #35

amfoto1 wrote in post #17114971 (external link)
GPS "geotagging" is for mostly people who want to brag to all their virtual friends "see all the places I've been and have the photos to prove it"....

It may have some actual scientific applications, too... though I think the vast majority of people who "just gotta have it" won't come anywhere close to that serious use of it.

But, hey, if you get lost, maybe you can use your camera and laptop to find your way back to civilization.... Though some matches, water purification tabs, a knife, a blanket and some food might be much more welcome stuff to lug around in your backpack, than a camera and a tablet or laptop.

Or, if nothing else, when they finally find your body, the geotags on your photos might tell them where you went wrong and how many circles you walked in... before the end finally came.

Huh. I didn't see a sarcastic smiley here anywhere so I assume your serious. ;)

I actually use the GPS data in software I've built for environmental surveys for proving (in court or elsewhere) where photos are taken.

Some of these photos come from UAV's and so need to be backed up by EXIF data.

Although, for most photographers this might be an unused feature.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Aug 25, 2014 13:30 |  #36

WaltA wrote in post #17116709 (external link)
Huh. I didn't see a sarcastic smiley here anywhere so I assume your serious. ;)

I actually use the GPS data in software I've built for environmental surveys for proving (in court or elsewhere) where photos are taken.

Some of these photos come from UAV's and so need to be backed up by EXIF data.

Although, for most photographers this might be an unused feature.

Yup. If you find it useful, it's useful. If not, it's useless. You all know who you are :D

My picture galleries (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 25, 2014 13:36 |  #37

Might not seem all that useful to you right now, but like comments in computer code it can become very useful at some point down the road.

"This photo is 20 some years old, but I really have no idea where it was that I took it or what I was doing. Oh, wait, it is geo-tagged at this location..."

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Aug 25, 2014 14:44 |  #38

Luckless wrote in post #17116891 (external link)
Might not seem all that useful to you right now, but like comments in computer code it can become very useful at some point down the road.

"This photo is 20 some years old, but I really have no idea where it was that I took it or what I was doing. Oh, wait, it is geo-tagged at this location..."

Agreed, if I can collect extra data I tend to do so, even if it doesn't seem to be much value at the time it may become useful later. Especially true if there is no significant inconvenience or downside to doing so.

I can only see to downsides to using a built in GPS:
1: Battery, it will drain it quicker, especially when you are not using it over a few days (I could pick up my 40D after not using it for a month and usually be good to go with the charge on the battery as I had last left it, my 6D, lucky if anything left after two days!)
2: Tracking information, some people just plain don't like the idea of this, personally I don't care, images I tend to share have EXIF stripped out of them anyway so in theory only I have access to this information.

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 25, 2014 15:15 |  #39

Fear of GPS tracking is one that is based on pure ignorance. I've known a few people who didn't trust handheld GPS units because "The government could track them", which ignores the fact that GPS is based on a receiver system at the end user, and a transmitter at the satellites and control stations. It is basically looking up at three or more points, measuring how far away they are from you, and then calculating where you are. No way that anyone controlling the system can tell whether or not you're even measuring the signals.

And if you are including them in your images after you turned it on, and you don't want people to track you from them... Either turn the thing off, or remember to strip that data out of the file before posting.

Battery usage is really down to good hardware design and using a quality chip. My 7D's battery can power a good GPS chip for several months or years at a time, assuming the cells held their charge that long on their own. However I've seen more than a few designs that still take a rather lazy approach to dealing with power saving to avoid the chip's 'signal sync' time that is required when they are first powered on for a session. They'll keep a whole large main control board on rather than independently powering a secondary circuit that can be polled from and doesn't rely on the main board.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 25, 2014 17:52 |  #40

Luckless wrote in post #17117081 (external link)
Fear of GPS tracking is one that is based on pure ignorance. I've known a few people who didn't trust handheld GPS units because "The government could track them", which ignores the fact that GPS is based on a receiver system at the end user, and a transmitter at the satellites and control stations.

The GPS chip itself can't transmit your position (it is just recieving signals then calculating position). But with cell phones, that info can be captured and transmitted by the phone. This is useful for someone who lost their phone, and can have the ability to search for it. One would hope "big brother" would have a search warrant to track your phone. You're also leaving footprints if you do a lot of posting of GPS enabled photos on social sites. Personally, I don't care if NSA is sorting through all this...I'm just surprised by the amount of money and resources now being spent on surveillance on the net.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 25, 2014 17:54 |  #41

davesrose wrote in post #17117407 (external link)
The GPS chip itself can't transmit your position (it is just recieving signals then calculating position). But with cell phones, that info can be captured and transmitted by the phone. This is useful for someone who lost their phone, and can have the ability to search for it. One would hope "big brother" would have a search warrant to track your phone. You're also leaving footprints if you do a lot of posting of GPS enabled photos on social sites. Personally, I don't care if NSA is sorting through all this...I'm just surprised by the amount of money and resources now being spent on surveillance on the net.

You get a rough trace of the phone location even without any GPS by keeping track of signal strengths for the different cell towers. And then Google have recorded lots of WiFi networks, to make sure that the telephone can guess where it is and quick-start the GPS in the phone when you need it.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 25, 2014 18:40 |  #42

pwm2 wrote in post #17117409 (external link)
You get a rough trace of the phone location even without any GPS by keeping track of signal strengths for the different cell towers. And then Google have recorded lots of WiFi networks, to make sure that the telephone can guess where it is and quick-start the GPS in the phone when you need it.

But you also get it with the GPS in smartphones.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Augphoto
194 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2014 16:52 |  #43

amfoto1 wrote in post #17114971 (external link)
GPS "geotagging" is for mostly people who want to brag to all their virtual friends "see all the places I've been and have the photos to prove it"....

WoW!!

Kick anybody in the teeth lately?

Cameras - 7D, 5D MkIII Lenses - 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM, 17-40 f/4L USM, 24-70 f/2.8L USM, 24-105 f/4L IS USM 70-200 f/4L IS USM, also a Canon Extender EF 1.4 III
Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Twitter (external link) -

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 26, 2014 17:22 |  #44

Augphoto wrote in post #17119446 (external link)
WoW!!

Kick anybody in the teeth lately?

I'm pretty sure someone has hijacked Alan's login. That's not like him at all.
His posts are usually the most informational and moderate you''ll see on this forum.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Augphoto
194 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2014 17:45 |  #45

I'm sure he's a nice fellow and maybe I was a little quick to jump but it sure rubbed me the wrong way. I find GPS data to be incredibly useful and fun. The fun part alone should be enough to justify it's use, don't you think?

There are many things and techniques I don't personally care for but I would not insult those that do.

With that said, I am done except for an apology, which I now give. I don't want to take away from the original post intent any further.

Cameras - 7D, 5D MkIII Lenses - 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM, 17-40 f/4L USM, 24-70 f/2.8L USM, 24-105 f/4L IS USM 70-200 f/4L IS USM, also a Canon Extender EF 1.4 III
Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Twitter (external link) -

sponsored links

7,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
GPS ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.